• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#61 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 11:14 PM

One thing that irked me though is that even though I had a load of old saves left over from ME1 they were nowhere to be seen when I wanted to import one... so I ended up just starting a flat out new game, the defaults of which weren't quite what I'd had in mind in some cases.

Actually, importing your games from ME1 can be done, you just have to know where to look. I spent about two minutes thinking it over that until there was a message in the main menu explaining it (on the Cerberus network, on the right side of the screen). In order to import your saved games, you have to use the launcher, then access the Configuration utility. There'll be a "Save Games" on the right side of the window that pops up, and you can then tell it where to find your ME1 saves. Hope this helps! ^_^

As for my own playthrough, I'm still taking it pretty slow, savoring each and every quest. I find it slightly confusing not to have a map in certain areas, because I like to make sure I've gone in each and every room, and I'm always afraid I'll miss a turn or something. Guess I'm just going to have to wing it! :P

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#62 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 07:52 AM

Good for you. I'm still waiting for my CE copy to arrive... *sigh*

#63 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 09:53 AM

You have my heartfelt sympathies... :( Hang in there, I hope it gets there soon!!

In other news, I was ecstatic with one of my purchases in the Citadel:
Spoiler

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#64 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:04 AM

Bless you, Archmage. You've been so excited about the game's release, and you've provided us with so much information, I really do feel sorry for you. Have a cyber-hug from me. :hug:

As for me, the game looks absolutely immense. I've spoiled myself with some of the videos on youtube, and from what I can tell, the game is pretty epic. Unfortunately, my computer can't run Mass Effect (1), so there's no hope in hell that it'll ever run ME2.

#65 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 11:15 AM

It's worth the wait, trust me, and you *will* want to import an ME1 character. Virtually every single sidequest you ever did in ME1 will come back up, from the earliest quests on the Citadel to ones you found while exploring the farthest reaches of the galaxy. And if you were a Paragon, it all tends towards the very heartwarming.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#66 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 12:45 PM

Thanks guys. :)

Yep, I've been planning to to import my ME1 Shepard ever since I first heard of the option. I finished ME1 as a level 50 Infiltrator with maxed Paragon status and 632,000 credits, so I'm hoping for some nice importing bonuses.

#67 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:13 PM

Yep, I've been planning to to import my ME1 Shepard ever since I first heard of the option. I finished ME1 as a level 50 Infiltrator with maxed Paragon status and 632,000 credits, so I'm hoping for some nice importing bonuses.

You'll get a bonus (extra money) for importing a rich character, and I think you get some small bonuses if you import a character over level 40 or some such, but the big bonuses come from importing a level 60 character. Note that money is more important in ME2 than ME1 - there isn't that much to buy, but what there is tends to be expensive, aside from little things like fish for your cabin's aquarium.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#68 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:21 PM

You'll get a bonus (extra money) for importing a rich character, and I think you get some small bonuses if you import a character over level 40 or some such, but the big bonuses come from importing a level 60 character. Note that money is more important in ME2 than ME1 - there isn't that much to buy, but what there is tends to be expensive, aside from little things like fish for your cabin's aquarium.

Yeah, I know about the level 60 bonuses, but I never saw the point of beating ME1 again for 10 extra levels and some achievement.

#69 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:50 PM

You get bonuses if you have the "Rich" achievement, I'm not sure it's based upon how many credits you actually have.

#70 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 02:17 PM

Yep, I've got that achievement, so I'm good to go either way.

By the way, if anyone is interested in a free, legal Dr. Pepper promotion bonus item for ME2, redeem the following code on your Dr. Pepper account (free and quick to register, no email verification):

CBEEAAAFQG9J

This is a free re-usable code, but it's only one use per account. So basically it's this scheme "the first one is free, but you have to pay (buy Dr. Pepper, US exclusive campaign no less) to get more".

When you're ready to collect your prize afterwards (link to do so will be available on your account page after inputting the code), remember to log in with your EA account that is connected to your BioWare social site account.

The items you can get for ME2 from the promotion are the Sentry Interface, Umbra Visor and Recon Hood. You can also claim bonus content for other EA games such as Battlefield Heroes, The Sims 3, Spore & Battlefield: Bad Company 2.

#71 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 08:20 PM

Unfortunately, my computer can't run Mass Effect (1), so there's no hope in hell that it'll ever run ME2.

You'd be surprised. ME2 runs a LOT better than ME1 on my system. Many many people on the Bioware forums are saying the same thing. I'm even running it with 16x Anti-Aliasing, and it's perfectly smooth. Looks gorgeous too.

You probably would be hit with the single processor bug, though, where certain cinematics make your system stutter terribly, but saving and reloading fixes it, and there's currently two workarounds that make the issue bearable.

I don't want to say go get it and then you really can't run it either, though. What's your system specs? Can probably get a good idea if you could run it from that.

Qwinn

Edited by Qwinn, 02 February 2010 - 08:20 PM.

#72 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 11:55 AM

I'm still gathering my team at the moment but I had a go at assignments for the first real time today, checking planets and all that stuff.

I'm not sure if I think the planet scanning is a good thing or a nuisance, only time will tell. But it seems like the side-missions are fewer this time round. Or I've just not encountered them yet.

#73 Crazee

Crazee
  • Modder
  • 533 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 12:18 PM

Unfortunately, my computer can't run Mass Effect (1), so there's no hope in hell that it'll ever run ME2.

You'd be surprised. ME2 runs a LOT better than ME1 on my system. Many many people on the Bioware forums are saying the same thing. I'm even running it with 16x Anti-Aliasing, and it's perfectly smooth. Looks gorgeous too.

You probably would be hit with the single processor bug, though, where certain cinematics make your system stutter terribly, but saving and reloading fixes it, and there's currently two workarounds that make the issue bearable.

I don't want to say go get it and then you really can't run it either, though. What's your system specs? Can probably get a good idea if you could run it from that.

Qwinn

It's the video card that's the problem, not that I know what type I have. That is promising to hear, though.

#74 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 02:59 PM

I'm not sure if I think the planet scanning is a good thing or a nuisance, only time will tell. But it seems like the side-missions are fewer this time round. Or I've just not encountered them yet.

Gaaa! Are you kidding me? ^_^ I'm about 12 hours into ME2 and I'm utterly convinced that planet scanning is a giant PITA. I'm only doing it to get the resources to complete the different upgrades.

Edited by Eleima, 03 February 2010 - 03:04 PM.

RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#75 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:14 PM

Gaaa! Are you kidding me? ^_^ I'm about 12 hours into ME2 and I'm utterly convinced that planet scanning is a giant PITA. I'm only doing it to get the resources to complete the different upgrades.

Do Miranda's personal mission first - it unlocks a Normandy upgrade that makes planet scanning much faster.

Oh, and put off visiting the Hawking Eta Cluster when it comes up as the site of your next objective until you've finished absolutely everything else, especially making everyone loyal and upgrading the Normandy. Trust me - going there early is a bad idea.

#76 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:28 PM

When I first tested it out, I was kinda taken by the idea of scanning and sending probes to interesting parts. But it feels like more of a drag each time I use it. The first game's method was better. Plus the fuel thing irritates me. I guess I'll get used to it, but...

Also there was a great bit of dialogue after I finished Purgatory with Subject Zero, which went vaguely like this:

Shep: You're either my friend of my enemy. And you don't want to be my enemy.
Garrus: They have this habit of ending up dead.

Badass 8)

#77 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 03:37 PM

You don't need to do Miranda's personal mission to get her upgrade, you just need to talk to her on the Normandy. :)

Finished the game yesterday--best ending in a game I've seen so far, I think. Loved it.
Spoiler
. Thoroughly enjoyed the game, will replay it soon!

My favourite line of dialogue is with EDI near the end (not a spoiler!):

EDI: I like to watch humans on their knees.
Joker: *slightly worried expression*
EDI: That was a joke.

#78 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 04:10 PM

A word of warning I have discovered if you want to get everyone through the final mission alive:

Spoiler

#79 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:12 PM

GameBanshee has launched their ME2 section with items etc. Should come in handy.

Edited by Archmage Silver, 03 February 2010 - 06:12 PM.

#80 Vicen

Vicen

Swooping...is bad....

• 477 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:58 PM

Thanks for that nice promo code Archmage Silver! Another item is always nice to have heh.

Check out my gaming oriented Youtube channel >>> https://www.youtube....er/viceiceman85