ME2: Launch Party Thread

• Please log in to reply
132 replies to this topic

#41 Pain Elemental

Pain Elemental

Always here, just look harder.

• 643 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 02:29 AM

You've finished already??? Wow! My copy isn't here yet (the site does say 3 to 5 business days, there *do* have to swim across a body of water to get here, I guess), so I'm insanely jealous in a way. In a way only, because I firmly intend to savor every moment and not rush through the whole thing (I do have this tendency to complete every side-quest, listen to every dialog, so my playthroughs are probably longer than the average gamer's).

Awesome, you say? So is it everything we'd hoped for? ^_^

Already? Heh, The ingame clock said something about 30 hours of playtime :). I did all the sidequests that I've found and I did the personal quests of all the squad members. The only thing I didn't do was scan all the planets, because It's tedious and boring (you'll find out, It's the only downside to the game)

And yes, It's awesome. I'm currently replaying the game as a renegade. And, as a protip from me, crank the difficulty up past "normal".
After an eternity away from you all, I've returned.

#42 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 07:41 AM

I want this game so badly... and yet I can't get my CE until next week, and even then I don't which day. Infuriating! :angry:

EA seriously dropped the ball on this one, they can't even make sure their distribution works properly after spending big dollar on advertising the game. EA, Atari, it's all the same and it never seems to end.

#43 -theacefes-

-theacefes-

Posted 29 January 2010 - 10:14 AM

I got mine on release day but I was only able to open and install it last night.

I played for about 3 hours as a male soldier and have gotten some new characters. It's fun, looks and plays better than ME1, but
Spoiler

I am having fun though.

#44 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 29 January 2010 - 08:20 PM

I'm finally up and running with it, and my views are mixed. Like the new art direction and character emphasis, but I don't like a lot of the control changes. Going from ME1 with its control menus, inventory screen, even the keys used to interact with things to the ME2 style is taking a lot of getting used to, and I hate the new ammo-based system for weapons. Some good, some bad.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#45 Pain Elemental

Pain Elemental

• 643 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 01:05 AM

True, the ammo system took some getting use to, but it does open new options for heavy weapons. If they were using the old system, those weapons would become hugely overpowered.

#46 Darziak

Darziak

Neutral

• 681 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 07:11 AM

The only thing I didn't do was scan all the planets, because It's tedious and boring (you'll find out, It's the only downside to the game)

Ugh it sure is but I still did it and carry about 100k - 200k though element zero is just over 50k. Did you make sure you checked the planets for hidden anomalies?

I found a small cheat to get more credits:-
Spoiler

Apparently shepard walks slower now (on the normandy) the way I see it and I find it hard the to get used to the new cover system.

My favourite thing is probably the places arn't a clone like seeing the same area on another planet back on ME1.

Is it me or does the Vorcha sound very similar to the githyanki in nwn2? :P

#47 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 02:40 PM

If anyone knows, who do you talk to or when do the various Normandy upgrades become available? I finished Horizon and scrounged up enough platinum (seriously, the planet scanning/mining thing sucks hard - hopefully one of ME2's first mods will be something to make that faster/less annoying) for the medbay upgrade, and don't want to overlook anything.

On the upside, Mordin is quickly establishing himself as my favorite ME2 character so far.

"The righteous need not cower before the drumbeat of human progress. Though the song of yesterday fades into the challenge of tomorrow, God still watches and judges us. Evil lurks in the datalinks as it lurked in the streets of yesterday, but it was never the streets that were evil." - Sister Miriam Godwinson, Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri

#48 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 30 January 2010 - 03:23 PM

Sounds like ME2 held up to the expectations of most people... I'm only getting it late next week though, which annoys me to no end.

#49 Pain Elemental

Pain Elemental

• 643 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:12 AM

Ugh it sure is but I still did it and carry about 100k - 200k though element zero is just over 50k. Did you make sure you checked the planets for hidden anomalies?

To be honest, after the one of the countless scans, I found a list of planets that you need to scan for anomalies somewhere on the internet. I know you're not supposed to, but It really got on my nerves.

If anyone knows, who do you talk to or when do the various Normandy upgrades become available? I finished Horizon and scrounged up enough platinum (seriously, the planet scanning/mining thing sucks hard - hopefully one of ME2's first mods will be something to make that faster/less annoying) for the medbay upgrade, and don't want to overlook anything.

I can't say for certain, but I remember that some of the ship upgrades only become available when you have a sufficient enough relation to members of your crew.

And as a protip from me: RESEARCH THEM!

#50 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:06 AM

I can't say for certain, but I remember that some of the ship upgrades only become available when you have a sufficient enough relation to members of your crew.

And as a protip from me: RESEARCH THEM!

I have researched both that I've gotten access to - the medbay and armor upgrades, and I've done the loyalty missions for Jacob, Jack, Grunt, and Mordin so far. I'm hoping to get everyone through the game alive, hence me worrying about making sure I get all the ship upgrades.

#51 Qwinn

Qwinn
  • Modder
  • 3092 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 12:47 PM

If I recall correctly, talking to Miranda, she lets you build an upgrade that does make mining a whole lot faster. First upgrade I bought. It does make it a LOT easier.

Qwinn

#52 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 02:27 PM

Spoiler tags people... it's mentioned in the first post.

#53 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 31 January 2010 - 08:55 PM

Just beat the game, and... wow. Just wow.

No one died on the suicide mission, and I was happy to see that there is an extra scene if you stay faithful to your ME1 love interest despite the abundance of new opportunities to be otherwise.

#54 Eleima

Eleima

Geek Goddess

• Modder
  • 1861 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 07:26 AM

My CE copy finally got here!!! ^_^
I'm about an hour in the game, and so far, it's everything I expected and more (especially since I've been keeping away from most trailers and spoilers, with a few exceptions). The new gameplay will probably take a little getting used to. I keep pressing "space" instead of "left shift" when I want to access powers and guns, and I keep expecting my Shepard to automatically take cover, when in fact you need to press "space" to actually have her duck down). I'm also not a huge fan of the reloading system, I thought that the old system was more convenient, not to mention more futuristic (shaping a bullet automatically from a block of stone or whatever, pretty scifi'ish if you ask me!).
Oh, and ME2 will tolerate task switching, which is a huge improvement in my opinion (ME1 would always crash when I did that). A minor detail, but still...
I also like being able to customize my casual clothes and my armor. That's one of my rare "girly" traits manifesting itself, I guess. It's silly, but kinda fun (like playing dress up Barbie, um... Shepard ;) ).
The intro was pretty gripping, I was sucked back in the Mass Effect world in no time. (Warning there be minor spoilers regarding the intro ahead)
Spoiler

Oh, and did I mention the graphics... Wow. Nice! (But then again, I've been playing NWN2 lately, so this just *has* to be a step up)

All in all... Yay! *joins the party*

Tiny edit with more spoilers regarding the Normandy crew:
Spoiler

Edited by Eleima, 01 February 2010 - 08:47 AM.

Check out my DeviantArt account, as well as my scribbling on FanFiction.net
RPGBadgeLarge.png

sig.gif

#55 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:42 PM

I got it and played a bit. Quite impressed so far, very interesting.

One thing that irked me though is that even though I had a load of old saves left over from ME1 they were nowhere to be seen when I wanted to import one... so I ended up just starting a flat out new game, the defaults of which weren't quite what I'd had in mind in some cases.

However I'll just beat it this time and then when I come to playing around with it all a bit more, I think I'll put more effort into sorting out what happened. Unless anyone has any idea of course.

Oh and I started taking an interest in Kelly Chambers already. I figured that Ashley wouldn't really care, since it was a new save and all...

Edited by Philiposophy, 01 February 2010 - 01:44 PM.

#56 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:35 PM

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive... my retailer should have sent me email about it today, but I got nothing.

#57 Tempest

Tempest

Cue Ominous Music

• Modder
  • 6572 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 02:36 PM

I've had a couple people ask me how I managed to get everyone through the suicide mission alive, so if anyone wants to know what I did, the main things I noticed as important are as follows. Major spoiler warning, of course.

Spoiler

Edited by Tempest, 02 February 2010 - 10:48 AM.

#58 Philiposophy

Philiposophy
  • 155 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:30 PM

One thing that irked me though is that even though I had a load of old saves left over from ME1 they were nowhere to be seen when I wanted to import one... so I ended up just starting a flat out new game, the defaults of which weren't quite what I'd had in mind in some cases.

However I'll just beat it this time and then when I come to playing around with it all a bit more, I think I'll put more effort into sorting out what happened. Unless anyone has any idea of course.

Heh, I've sorted it out now anyway. Oh well, I'll proceed on.

#59 Dark-Mage

Dark-Mage

Because killing is an art, and I am a master.

• 344 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 04:13 PM

I got my copy today. Was going to wait, due to other commitments, however, I found out that my local Game still had some collector's editions in stock so I grabbed one whilst I could, even if it was overpriced. Looking forward to seeing more of the game :-)

#60 -theacefes-

-theacefes-

Posted 01 February 2010 - 09:26 PM

Beat the game (to be fair I sort of rushed and didn't do every little subquest). Had a blast though. :) Going to play again and import my female Shepard this time (played my male one first).