Increasing backstab multiplier and visual range

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 What is the Matrix?

What is the Matrix?
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 04:35 AM

Hello there everyone! :D

I am new here, and like many of you, I love the Baldur's Gate series. Think it's definitely one of the best RPGs ever created!
I mean seriously, Minsc and Boo? Can't miss it! :D
I need a little help though, as I have encountered some rather annoying problems when I was creating my own items for Baldur's Gate 2.
Yes I do have ToB installed as well (the A.I doesn't work though - I wonder why?)

So, here are the problems. I really hope you can help me with it.

1.) I tried giving my item increased Backstab multiplier. But it doesn't seem to work? Why is that?
2.) Same as above, but I tried make it increase the visual range of the wielder. But alas, it doesn't work.

Best wishes and have a great day! :D Game on folks!
Neo: Why do my eyes hurt?
Morpheus: You've never used them before.

#2 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 07:58 AM

1.) I tried giving my item increased Backstab multiplier. But it doesn't seem to work? Why is that?

It is usually easier to copy an effect from another item than to try and create it yourself. In this case, I recommend copying from the Short Sword of Backstabbing +3 (SW1H10.ITM) and then tweaking it if necessary. BTW, what utility are you using to create the items?

2.) Same as above, but I tried make it increase the visual range of the wielder. But alas, it doesn't work.

If you haven't already, you might want to look at opcode #262 in the IESDP. I think it does what you want, but am not completely sure.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#3 What is the Matrix?

What is the Matrix?
  • 114 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:01 AM

It is usually easier to copy an effect from another item than to try and create it yourself. In this case, I recommend copying from the Short Sword of Backstabbing +3 (SW1H10.ITM) and then tweaking it if necessary. BTW, what utility are you using to create the items?

If you haven't already, you might want to look at opcode #262 in the IESDP. I think it does what you want, but am not completely sure.

Hello there Sam :) Nice to meet you.
Thank you for your quick reply. I will most certanly check the sword of Backstabbing.
As for the visual range, yes, I used that one 262... and I couldn't get it to work. :/
I use DLTCEP.

#4 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 08:34 AM

As for the visual range, yes, I used that one 262... and I couldn't get it to work. :/

It seems that 15 is the max allowed by the opcode, and 15 is the equivalent range characters are defaultly set at. In other words, it seems you can decrease a character's visual range, but not increase it... :(

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#5 -Shin_Neo-

-Shin_Neo-

Posted 11 May 2010 - 09:14 AM

Hmm... ok. :( Wierd... I wonder if it is possible to increase that value somehow in coding, and let 15 be default? That way I could increase the visual range of the char.

As for backstabbing... I still haven't got it to work. :S Seriously... checked through Sword of Backstabbing, didn't increase the backstab damage. So... I had nothing to go on. :/ Most unfortunate.

#6 vilkacis

vilkacis

Rashemen REPRESENT! Word to yo hamsta!

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:32 PM

The SSoB does not increase backstab modifier in the unmodded game.

Try the Assassin instead. The kit uses SPCL332 to increase backstab modifier - you should be able to copy the effect from there.

#7 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 01:51 PM

Hmm... ok. :( Wierd... I wonder if it is possible to increase that value somehow in coding, and let 15 be default? That way I could increase the visual range of the char.

15, or a diameter of 30 is the maximum range allowed by the engine. It wouldn't make much sense to extend it beyond that, because that's the edge of the viewable area on screen anyway (though maybe not quite, if you're using a widescreen mod or something).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#8 vilkacis

vilkacis

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 03:56 PM

There is some more info on #262 here. Kind of interesting, though rather uncertain how useful it is.

#9 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 10:26 PM

There is some more info on #262 here. Kind of interesting, though rather uncertain how useful it is.

Useful, well, if you are an archer, it is... if you are a mage, it might be also, if you wish to explore the world, it's not; so much. :wacko:

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#10 Zyraen

Zyraen
  • Modder
  • 1402 posts

Posted 11 May 2010 - 11:33 PM

I usually use Near Infinity for Item Editing, it seems infinitely better to my view. Maybe give it a try ?

This reminds me of something that seriously bugs me...
- I notice that when I have evil (red circle) thieves, they go invisible and their backstab works, period.
- when I have good (blue circle) thieves, they go invisible, and their backstab only works when they are standing directly behind their target, just like if a player character were to try to backstab.

Any advice on exactly how to fix this so both are the same? lol

Edit : checked an old topic I previously asked and the conclusion was that nothing can be done about engine cheating lol. so no need to bother about this reply

Edited by Zyraen, 11 May 2010 - 11:39 PM.

kiyos.jpg____btlbn2.gif____kovaS.jpg
Love between a Law Enforcer and a Fugitive - can such a thing even happen?
SoA Release - Overview / Download Links

Zyraen's Miscellaneous Mods - Ust Natha Accelerator, item tweaks, XP caps, The Ub3r Reaver Kit, and much more...
Spellhold Gauntlet - more than just a Spellhold-Be-Gone
Hidden Kits - hidden dual-classed kits with a twist for progression

#11 What is the Matrix?

What is the Matrix?
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 12:56 AM

Hm - most intressting! Thank you for sharing. :D

And about the backstab thingy, I still haven't made it to work. -__-
I am building an armor which, when equipped, increases backstab damage.
I did EXACTLY like it was in SPCL332, and started a game as Thief, and there was no change in the
characters records of an increased multiplier. I tried backstabbing a char too, but it was just normal
backstab damage. It wasn't increased. :(

#12 vilkacis

vilkacis

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:16 AM

I'm pretty sure I've used that effect without problems. Could you upload the item here? (If you can't attach .itm files, just zip it first.)

#13 What is the Matrix?

What is the Matrix?
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 02:45 AM

I'm pretty sure I've used that effect without problems. Could you upload the item here? (If you can't attach .itm files, just zip it first.)

Allright - here it is. :) It's the second effect in the Equipping effects, I believe. ^^

Attached Files

#14 vilkacis

vilkacis

• Modder
  • 1571 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:08 AM

:huh:

It works for me. All I did was remove the "unusable by" flags so the generic ToB thief could wear it.

Baldr000.jpg

As you see, the backstab modifier clearly shows up.

Try reloading a save where you don't have the armour and then CLUA it in.

One problem I did spot is that "duration" should be set to "instant/while equipped" (2) or the effect will persist after the armour is removed.

#15 What is the Matrix?

What is the Matrix?
  • 114 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:30 AM

:huh:

It works for me. All I did was remove the "unusable by" flags so the generic ToB thief could wear it.

Baldr000.jpg

As you see, the backstab modifier clearly shows up.

Try reloading a save where you don't have the armour and then CLUA it in.

One problem I did spot is that "duration" should be set to "instant/while equipped" (2) or the effect will persist after the armour is removed.

:o This is incredible... you know, before I sent the file to you, I reordered the "Backstab" a little, so you could find it easier. I put it as effect nr 2.
And franquely, I made that little change in my item - and I got it working too!! What in the world??? xD xD xD

Well, it works at least - so I am veeery happy. But seriously... I can't figure out why it didn't work earlier? I just re-arranged it a little! LOL

#16 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 12 May 2010 - 03:30 AM

Any advice on exactly how to fix this so both are the same? lol

What of temporizer ea.ids change to ...BUTRED. I have no idea...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.