Photo

Infinity animations from PST

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 RYUchan

RYUchan
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:46 PM

Don't know anything about Oblivion modding, but IA is not unstable :P. The only reason it's still "beta" is largely because of this component, which is new (but it shouldn't cause crashes). Incidentally, the whole codepage thing should go away in the next release, which would be the main thing holding it up, because I have to rename all the files and a good chunk of code. Stuff like what you've brought up is really minor to do in comparison.

Yep that's why I like IA. Nothing crashed for me before I've digged into the code :)

I see that's nice to hear about code tables. Because I have to restart my PC everytime I made an edit in a regedit and I can't type in my language or see it in most programs during my BG installation :D

About FCOM well as the authors of this mod said themselves it could "chew your game and spit it in your face" but nevertheless it's very popular because it has a lot of promises of big cloud-castles. FCOM users think that stable game is when game CTDs happen once per hour, maximum twice :lol:

About crashes well they were random and I couldn't repeat them.

- The first one was when I spoke to the second assasin in a Candlekeep and chose the second dialog option.
- The second CTD was when Gorion finished his big speech in front of the Candlekeep gates.
- The third one happened when I was slashing wolves in the Crossroads.

I can't quite get the idea why this happened because these CTDs are random.

Edited by RYUchan, 26 June 2010 - 12:59 PM.

#22 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:22 PM

About crashes well they were random and I couldn't repeat them.

- The first one was when I spoke to the second assasin in a Candlekeep and chose the second dialog option.
- The second CTD was when Gorion finished his big speech in front of the Candlekeep gates.
- The third one happened when I was slashing wolves in the Crossroads.

I can't quite get the idea why this happened because these CTDs are random.

I doubt any of that is related to even a modified version of Infinity Animations. If it was animation-related, it would crash as soon as you enter a new area that has a bugged animation, and pretty much only then. The only other possible times it could crash are if someone casts a spell that summons a creature with a bugged animation, or a creature with a BG1 animation is trying to use a buggy item that doesn't have all the animation values set correctly. But based on what you said you were doing, none of that is likely. And since it's probably not animation-related, there should really be something in your Baldur.err file assuming you have 'Logging On=1' in your baldur.ini (which it is by default in BWP installs). Could be some weird Win7/Vista/antivirus thing too, especially if you're getting random crashes without .err messages or 'Assertion errors' or other pop-up windows that say what the problem might be.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#23 RYUchan

RYUchan
  • 99 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:55 PM

I doubt any of that is related to even a modified version of Infinity Animations. If it was animation-related, it would crash as soon as you enter a new area that has a bugged animation, and pretty much only then. The only other possible times it could crash are if someone casts a spell that summons a creature with a bugged animation, or a creature with a BG1 animation is trying to use a buggy item that doesn't have all the animation values set correctly. But based on what you said you were doing, none of that is likely. And since it's probably not animation-related, there should really be something in your Baldur.err file assuming you have 'Logging On=1' in your baldur.ini (which it is by default in BWP installs). Could be some weird Win7/Vista/antivirus thing too, especially if you're getting random crashes without .err messages or 'Assertion errors' or other pop-up windows that say what the problem might be.

You were right, I think it's not related to IA at all(and it's quite logical because commenting out couldn't mess everything, unless I comment out only part of a block I think). Well I need a clean reinstall again.

In my Baldur.err there are only several strings that indicate the start of a logging sessin that's all. I hope it's not a mod related thing because tracking down the culprit would be a real pain in ... .

Btw I'm using XP SP2 :) Just can't get enough of it :P and I have only 2Gb RAM so I don't have a reason to use win7.

About your AI mod feedback, did I gave you enough info about animations and weapons? Maybe you need something like my installed mod list or other info I'll be glad to help.

Edited by RYUchan, 27 June 2010 - 05:33 AM.

#24 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 02:49 PM

No, it just...

Good thing I did escape from this thread when I did, it was this close...

In my Baldur.err there are only several strings that indicate the start of a logging session that's all.

It's not related, it just says how many times the game has been started after the logging was started with each new line... and so it doesn't help thou.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#25 RYUchan

RYUchan
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 05:27 AM

Good thing I did escape from this thread when I did, it was this close...

:D

In my Baldur.err there are only several strings that indicate the start of a logging sessin that's all. I hope it's not a mod related thing because tracking down the culprit would be a real pain in ... .

It's not related, it just says how many times the game has been started after the logging was started with each new line... and so it doesn't help thou.

Yeah I know that, just mentioned that it's not all blank. :)

Btw tested a little bit more I haven't experienced a CTD ever since I checked out the 3D Acceleration in BG. So maybe it's driver or even hardware to blame. Though it never happened during previous installation so I'm a bit confused.

Edited by RYUchan, 27 June 2010 - 05:36 AM.

#26 RYUchan

RYUchan
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 06:27 AM

@Miloch

I hope you are not tired about my questions :) I've got another one. I've used a savepatching feature during this installation and now my map names(in old saves) are messed up(no mod was removed or added). For instance "Gorion's Rest" is named "Zombie Retreat", "Zombie Retreat" named Garroten. Baldur's Gate Bridge is named "Somewhere far north" and the location below Candlekeep is named Thief's Den, though the main areas remain untouched, Beregost is Beregost Nashkel is Nashkel and etc. It's a bit annoying and I really hope there is a way to fix it without playing from the very beginning. As I understand the map name table shifted so I'll try to dig savefiles with SK and NearInfinity, but I think I definitely need an advice. Thsnks in advance.

Solved just created a new character and replaced oldsave WMP with the new one. Never would've guessed that solution is so easy.

Edited by RYUchan, 27 June 2010 - 09:10 AM.

#27 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 09:42 AM

Btw I'm using XP SP2

Probably the most stable MS OS. I've used Win7 but I don't like how it's disabled a lot of useful stuff XP has. It's supposed to be faster, but I think I'll wait until SP1 at least before putting it on any of my machines. And when I do, I'll be sure to to turn off UAC and all that annoying garbage.

About your AI mod feedback, did I gave you enough info about animations and weapons? Maybe you need something like my installed mod list or other info I'll be glad to help.

IA, not AI :P. Yeah, I think so, just let me know if you see anything else. I'll have to go through Innershade or whatever too, I think that's the only major mod that adds new creatures that's been released since the last IA.

I've used a savepatching feature during this installation and now my map names(in old saves) are messed up(no mod was removed or added).

IA doesn't touch the worldmap at all, but some other mod saved game patchers do.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#28 RYUchan

RYUchan
  • 99 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:05 AM

Probably the most stable MS OS. I've used Win7 but I don't like how it's disabled a lot of useful stuff XP has. It's supposed to be faster, but I think I'll wait until SP1 at least before putting it on any of my machines. And when I do, I'll be sure to to turn off UAC and all that annoying garbage.

Yeah I think so too, though I hear good things about SP3 so might switch to it soon. Vista I hate it because of a lot of stuff and "confirm the confirmation" thing is one of them too :)

IA, not AI :P. Yeah, I think so, just let me know if you see anything else. I'll have to go through Innershade or whatever too, I think that's the only major mod that adds new creatures that's been released since the last IA.

Well it just a big association with Artificial Intelligent just can't help it.:) I've already mistyped it more than 6 times :)

IA doesn't touch the worldmap at all, but some other mod saved game patchers do.

Well I've never opened a baldur's gate savegame folder before. When I did this time I saw a separate WMP file and understood everything. :)

#29 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 11:57 AM

I hear good things about SP3 so might switch to it soon.

From what I could tell, it just makes your system more like Vista/7 so I would just stick with SP2 and get the security updates for it. MS Update will try to push SP3 on you, but tell it to sod off :D.

#30 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 03:40 PM

Moved to the IA forum. :)

#31 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:41 AM

I looked through several BAMs and I can see that there are all frames from PST in these BAMs, so there are dagger animations for Curst Townies and others.

Ok, well I went through all the PS:T animations as well as actual creatures with those animations in PS:T and figured out which weapons they should all have - more or less what you found.

Double-Bladed Axe (Battle Axe could suffice)
- Large Thug

Jagged Knife (Dagger could suffice)
- Curst Townie Male, Dustman Female, Dustman Male, Small Thug, Tiefling Female, Tiefling Male

Curved Knife (Dagger could suffice)
- Curst Townie Female, Lower Class Townie Female, Githzerai

Sledgehammer
- Godsman

High-Quality Stiletto (Dagger could suffice)
- Aasimar, Upper Class Townie Female

Short Sabre (Short Sword could suffice)
- Upper Class Townie Male

Bone Axe? (odd-looking weapon, not sure what else to call it, and it's not an actual droppable weapon in PS:T)
- Lower Class Townie Male
lctm00.gif lctm11.gif lctm27.gif
I guess a battle axe could suffice, but it has some odd spikes coming off the back.

Merchants, Midwifes and Harlots shouldn't have any weapons, as they use their fists (well, technically the harlot uses what the vulgar refer to as a 'bitchslap' but close enough :D).

Skeleton Priests and Townie Wizards should already have staves.

Skeleton Workers should already have clubs.

So I think it would be ok to add a few of those weapons that don't exist in the game with the PS:T component. You're already installing it by choice, and the weapons should match the animations.

#32 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 08:23 AM

So I think it would be ok to add a few of those weapons that don't exist in the game with the PS:T component. You're already installing it by choice, and the weapons should match the animations.

FWIW I concur that it's within IA's scope to add weapons where it's "needed" for the animations. Out of curiosity, will these weapons be droppable?

#33 RYUchan

RYUchan
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 01:43 PM

FWIW I concur that it's within IA's scope to add weapons where it's "needed" for the animations. Out of curiosity, will these weapons be droppable?

Well it would've been quite funny to add a weapon but make it undroppable. :)

Thing with PST animations is that NPCs have weapons attached to them. So even if they use different weapon it would still look the same. (Eg. Thug have a dagger animation but he can actualy be wielding a bow and it'll look like he is shooting arrows from a dagger.) That's why Miloch is doing what he is doing. :)

@Miloch

Only today I found out that Low Class townies have axes and not daggers :D

Btw I think it's just an oddly shaped axe, not a bone axe. You know axes in PST have very interesting shapes, it even could be a hammer...

Edited by RYUchan, 01 July 2010 - 01:48 PM.

#34 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 01 July 2010 - 03:53 PM

Well it would've been quite funny to add a weapon but make it undroppable.

Yeah, I expect so. It's pretty cheesy to fight someone who clearly is wielding a weapon and then not find it on his body when you kill him (unless it's breakable, but then you should find the shards at least). Probably won't be stealable, because that wouldn't make sense either (what? I just pinched his weapon and he's still holding it?). None of them will be worth much, though some folks who have +1 weapons currently might get the +1 equivalent that matches the animation.

So even if they use different weapon it would still look the same. (Eg. Thug have a dagger animation but he can actualy be wielding a bow and it'll look like he is shooting arrows from a dagger.)

Those guys will get throwing knives instead of bows, etc.

Btw I think it's just an oddly shaped axe, not a bone axe. You know axes in PST have very interesting shapes, it even could be a hammer...

I think it is definitely an axe. If you look at it from some angles, it's too thin to be a hammer. But not exactly a "battle axe." Maybe just a "crude handaxe" or such. It is a lower-class townie who has it, after all :D.

#35 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 02:50 PM

Erm.... I thought these:
krysti - Sling
silke - Quaterstaff, Excellent quaterstaff

are named NPCs.

Oh, I thought you meant *joinable* NPCs. A lot of NPCs have "names" - I don't think that alone is a reason for excluding them. But I'll admit these two shouldn't get the Curst townie animation. Not just because of the animation, but because they're not really thieves, but mages (well Silke is supposed to be a bard but she acts like a mage). Krystin at least should probably just be added to the "humanoid animation fixes" component and removed from the PS:T component. Silke should just be removed, though she might get the BG1 thief animation, which should be fine. If you see any other mages or bards in that chunk, let me know.

Just having a little look through my backup folder to see the cre that got snagged, on the 25% setting, it looks like Adario12.cre got caught up in it, and he's a joinable NPC from TDD.

To be honest, I find having familiar town NPCS look totally different a little too jarring, even just here in Candlekeep with the tutors and assassins, and I'm not sure I'll use this particular component going forward. Someone coming to BGT completely fresh would probably find it a great improvement, but I am old and stuck in my ways.

Edited by Arkenor, 07 September 2010 - 02:52 PM.

Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois
Meddling in the affairs of modders. Modding in the affairs of genie.

#36 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

Just having a little look through my backup folder to see the cre that got snagged, on the 25% setting, it looks like Adario12.cre got caught up in it, and he's a joinable NPC from TDD.

I removed that one some time ago (locally). IA shouldn't affect any joinables.

To be honest, I find having familiar town NPCS look totally different a little too jarring, even just here in Candlekeep with the tutors and assassins, and I'm not sure I'll use this particular component going forward.

Well, it is optional with 4 different options. I suppose I could add a "10%" option but that probably wouldn't satisfy you either, and I want to avoid "over-optionising" the mod (it's got enough questions to answer already).

Someone coming to BGT completely fresh would probably find it a great improvement

That would be tough if they didn't know what it looked like in the first place. :P

but I am old and stuck in my ways.

Well if you're a game "purist" you probably don't want to install any mods, at least not relatively newer ones, not even ones like IA that you had a hand in <_<.

#37 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 03:49 PM

I removed that one some time ago (locally). IA shouldn't affect any joinables.

To be honest, I find having familiar town NPCS look totally different a little too jarring, even just here in Candlekeep with the tutors and assassins, and I'm not sure I'll use this particular component going forward.

Well, it is optional with 4 different options. I suppose I could add a "10%" option but that probably wouldn't satisfy you either, and I want to avoid "over-optionising" the mod (it's got enough questions to answer already).

Someone coming to BGT completely fresh would probably find it a great improvement

That would be tough if they didn't know what it looked like in the first place. :P

but I am old and stuck in my ways.

Well if you're a game "purist" you probably don't want to install any mods, at least not relatively newer ones, not even ones like IA that you had a hand in <_<.

Gah. I knew I shouldn't have said anything. I said I, personally, did not think I would use this one single part of IA. I even said that it was because of my own weakness. At no point was I criticizing you. There's no need to react badly.

Edited by Arkenor, 07 September 2010 - 03:53 PM.

Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois

#38 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:14 PM

There's no need to react badly.

Eh... I wasn't. Not by orc-drow standards anyway. Was merely poking fun a bit. Maybe I should've used more smileys, like Lollorian :P :D :P.

#39 Arkenor

Arkenor
  • 255 posts

Posted 07 September 2010 - 04:17 PM

There's no need to react badly.

Eh... I wasn't. Not by orc-drow standards anyway. Was merely poking fun a bit. Maybe I should've used more smileys, like Lollorian :P :D :P.

OK, smilies make it better :D
Arkenor Oakshadow
Ark's Ark Whois

#40 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 08 September 2010 - 02:38 AM

Ah, the wonders of communicating through teh Interweb! :lol2: