subcomponents and scripts

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#21 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 01:58 PM

But I've just noticed a COPY ar3020.wed from the orcus folder. From what I've seen, the only difference is that in the vanilla one the verticles are in the last part of the file, whereas the modded version has the polygons in the end. In that case, do I need to copy that file? What do I have to do?

If there are no differences except superficial ones, you shouldn't have to do anything with it. Try it without it and see if it works or if a patch is necessary. There are at least a few .are and .wed files like that in the subcomponents that will probably need to get patched.

I've almost finished the Orcus Wand component, but there are some issues that still need to be solved.
The .wed file looks absolutely the same as the original and the area worked when I installed the mod, without overwriting the area.
I'll still have to check why this component requires the BP core; I think I can remove that thing as well.
The inventary icon of the wand (iwandorc.bam) is not well centered: only a small piece of the handle appears in the corner of the slot, whereas the icon is perfect when I grab it. Could you please fix it?

Some other things I've noticed: the wand has really many restrictions: not lawful, not good (ok, Orcus is a Demon), not mage (as any club), but also minimum str of 14 (normal clubs have 5), cos (15) and wis(12)... when I tried to test it, the only creature I could find, who was able to use it, was bassileus. I'd suggest that at least the min cos could be removed.
The darkness spell is flagged as dispel/no bypass resistance. Can magic resistance really do anything against darkness?

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#22 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 04:37 PM

The inventary icon of the wand (iwandorc.bam) is not well centered: only a small piece of the handle appears in the corner of the slot, whereas the icon is perfect when I grab it. Could you please fix it?

I'll probably have to recrop the frames, as the image is off-centre within them to begin with. Otherwise BAM Batcher would fix it automatically.

Some other things I've noticed: the wand has really many restrictions: not lawful, not good (ok, Orcus is a Demon), not mage (as any club), but also minimum str of 14 (normal clubs have 5), cos (15) and wis(12)... when I tried to test it, the only creature I could find, who was able to use it, was bassileus. I'd suggest that at least the min cos could be removed. The darkness spell is flagged as dispel/no bypass resistance. Can magic resistance really do anything against darkness?

I think tweaking that stuff is reasonable, unless horred or someone has specific reasons for it (might even predate him or be someone else's component, but I doubt anyone's going to object).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#23 Chevalier

Chevalier

Knight of the Realms

• Modder
  • 2405 posts

Posted 20 October 2010 - 08:16 PM

The Orcus Wand and it's quest is a horred creation (well the wand of Orcus is a D&D item). Without horred's consent I will not be part uploading a tweaked BP. Fixing a few bugs I am all for. If you wish you can include tweaks for BP in your own tweak pack. That I believe is alright.

I know that Miloch is working a updated version and when he is ready I had thought he would send it to horred for his approval.

I Ride for the King!

a.k.a. Chev

#24 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:32 AM

I know that Miloch is working a updated version and when he is ready I had thought he would send it to horred for his approval.

Turambar is helping, as you can see, at my request. It is too big for one person to revise quickly to completely patch everything instead of overwrite, etc. (feel free to help out yourself, if you want :)). So he is covering some of the subcomponents whilst I'm still working on the main component.

What is not clear is what's intentional and what's not. I'm quite sure someone did not intend to have the BAM off-centre. The stats on the wand I think are intentional. The spell I'm not so sure about - Turambar is suggesting it should possibly bypass resistance, which I think sounds fair - how exactly is one going to "resist" the absence of light? :blink:

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#25 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:33 AM

What is not clear is what's intentional and what's not. I'm quite sure someone did not intend to have the BAM off-centre. The stats on the wand I think are intentional. The spell I'm not so sure about - Turambar is suggesting it should possibly bypass resistance, which I think sounds fair - how exactly is one going to "resist" the absence of light? :blink:

Thanks for defending me :lol:
I think we should consider the off-centered BAM a bug and correct it, ask Horred for the spell, and the stats could go into my (or any) tweak pack.
As the spell is COPYed, I can finish the coding regardless of what we should do with the spell, and upload everything, and correct just that single file if Horred approves that the spell should bypass resistance.
As that spell has the SPWI### name, I'll put an ACTION_IF that checks that it doesn't exist yet, before copying it; anyway, I think that, being BP one of the first and biggest mods, there shouldn't be name conflicts, but perhaps some other mod uses that same spell.

What's the best way to fix that BAM?edit: I've just seen your post above, can you please work on that BAM?

Edited by Turambar, 21 October 2010 - 04:47 AM.

Turambar

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!

vipersig.jpg

#26 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 06:17 AM

As that spell has the SPWI### name, I'll put an ACTION_IF that checks that it doesn't exist yet, before copying it; anyway, I think that, being BP one of the first and biggest mods, there shouldn't be name conflicts, but perhaps some other mod uses that same spell.

Ooh, yeah. There's a new technique to this being discussed in the G3 modder workroom (don't know if you have access - if not you might try asking cmorgan). But I think it will be included in the next WeiDU's ADD_SPELL so you might want to wait for that.

I've just seen your post above, can you please work on that BAM?

Yeah, but I wasn't planning on doing it soon - isn't really necesary right now is it? BAMs are kinda my last priority heh... too much burnout working on them for Aurora :ph34r:.

#27 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 07:25 AM

There's a new technique to this being discussed in the G3 modder workroom (don't know if you have access - if not you might try asking cmorgan). But I think it will be included in the next WeiDU's ADD_SPELL so you might want to wait for that.

Which forum is it? could you please link it?

Yeah, but I wasn't planning on doing it soon - isn't really necesary right now is it? BAMs are kinda my last priority heh... too much burnout working on them for Aurora :ph34r:.

ok thanks.. I'll do the rest then

I'm trying to remove the 'require BPcore' now, which means I'll have to append to some IDS.
I've seen two effects which summon creatures which do not exist in BPcore, Orcus, or any BP subcomponent (grghoul.cre and orctnari.cre).
I'll check if those effects are used by any other resource (the new version of NI should have a find useless files tool); otherwise, I could simply delete them

Edited by Turambar, 21 October 2010 - 07:25 AM.

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#28 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 21 October 2010 - 03:21 PM

There's a new technique to this being discussed in the G3 modder workroom (don't know if you have access - if not you might try asking cmorgan). But I think it will be included in the next WeiDU's ADD_SPELL so you might want to wait for that.

Which forum is it? could you please link it?

Well the topic I was thinking of is here, but that's pretty long (and hidden) so there's a better summary here. Go post your opinion there and tell whoever cares to make up their minds and just implement something already :D. According to the bigg, that's the only thing holding up the next WeiDU release.

#29 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 22 October 2010 - 07:39 AM

there's a better summary here. Go post your opinion there and tell whoever cares to make up their minds and just implement something already :D. According to the bigg, that's the only thing holding up the next WeiDU release.

Apparently, they have found a solution.

I'll wait for the next WeiDU version for the spell, and I'll have to modify the item as well, as the name will now depend on the other mods.

I have some problem with Orcus' script as well: a part from his override script, which is a normal one, his 'main' script (the one which tells him how to fight) is 100% BP, which means it needs thousands of APPEND [file].ids ...
Do you think I could use a modified non-BP demogorgon script, to be used instead of the BP version if the core is missing? Or shall we leave the 'require BPcore'?

In that case, should we also change the main component so that the installation order is not important, or can we just say 'installing the main component after other components is not good'?

Edited by Turambar, 22 October 2010 - 07:56 AM.

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#30 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 01:34 AM

I've changed the code so that it only compiles the BPorcus script if BPcore is installed; otherwise, he'll use Demogorgon's script.

Concerning those two eff calling non existing creatures, one is not used, so I've just removed it; the other is called by Orcus's innate spell (orctnari.eff).
What shall I do with that eff file? Summoning non-existing creatures leads to CTDs, so that's not a minor issue, I believe. I believe it's even better to have a missing eff file

Anyway, I'll have to wait for the new weidu (although the v221 readme's already come out), so I'll go on with other components in the meantime.

edit: does REPLACE_TEXTUALLY used like this:
COPY_EXISTING ~AR0041.BCS~          ~override~
  REPLACE_TEXTUALLY ~BPv180/SNIP/oAR0041.bcs~ ~BPv180/SNIP/nAR0041.bcs~
BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
replace the content of the first file with the content of the second, or should I change those lines?

Edited by Turambar, 23 October 2010 - 06:23 AM.

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#31 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 07:33 AM

I've changed the code so that it only compiles the BPorcus script if BPcore is installed; otherwise, he'll use Demogorgon's script.

Wouldn't it be better to put BP's IDS stuff etc in a separate file and including that when necessary, or making it a separate component (and requiring that it is installed) or something?

BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES
replace the content of the first file with the content of the second, or should I change those lines?

No. That is wrong. Whoever wrote it apparently thought REPLACE_TEXTUALLY worked like REPLACE_BCS_BLOCK. Depending on the contents of the bcs files you should change it to a proper REPLACE_TEXTUALLY, or change REPLACE_TEXTUALLY back to REPLACE_BCS_BLOCK.

#32 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 08:04 AM

Wouldn't it be better to put BP's IDS stuff etc in a separate file and including that when necessary, or making it a separate component (and requiring that it is installed) or something?

it used to be like that, as all other components required the main component.
But, beng it just a matter of some scripts, I thought that the core isn't really THAT needed. Perhaps, we could allow the extra components to be installed without the AI improvement

BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

No. That is wrong. Whoever wrote it apparently thought REPLACE_TEXTUALLY worked like REPLACE_BCS_BLOCK. Depending on the contents of the bcs files you should change it to a proper REPLACE_TEXTUALLY, or change REPLACE_TEXTUALLY back to REPLACE_BCS_BLOCK.

ok, I'll re-write them then, thanks!

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#33 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 10:31 AM

Anything that more than one component needs should go in an ALWAYS statement at the beginning. Certainly, IDS appends can go in there - since they should be using UNLESS they won't get appended more than once.

BUT_ONLY_IF_IT_CHANGES

Turambar, I thought I already gave you this link for revising those, but anyway there it is again.

#34 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 11:39 AM

Anything that more than one component needs should go in an ALWAYS statement at the beginning. Certainly, IDS appends can go in there - since they should be using UNLESS they won't get appended more than once.

The fact is that the BP core does not simply append to those particular ids (at least, the 180a didn't):
it edits some lines, and I think that those new states, stats, and so on don't work unless you also patch the effects, spells and items which cause them. I think that we should either require the main component, or use non-BP-style scripts: from what I've seen, BP is much more than just a load of scripts, so you can't just 'cheat' by appending to some ids files. I mean, it would be installed correctly, but would it really work?

Turambar, I thought I already gave you this link for revising those, but anyway there it is again.

er... I hadn't really understood that problem yet. Ok, I'll start working on those which are in the extra components then.

Shall I PM Horred about that darkness spell and the bypass resistance?
And what shall I do with the orctnari.eff, which is used by a spell but calls a non-existing creature?

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#35 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:03 PM

Shall I PM Horred about that darkness spell and the bypass resistance? And what shall I do with the orctnari.eff, which is used by a spell but calls a non-existing creature?

I guess try asking him about all that, if he's around. He might not be around, or might not remember (he didn't about the similar stuff I asked about in this thread).

#36 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:08 AM

I've PMed him, and I'll see if he answers.

In the meantime, i've started with the brown dragons.
There were quite many missing resources from TDD, and there's a new spell which I can't see where it's used; i'll check it.

I've noticed that all dragons are immune to backstab... Why? Especially considering that undead are not immune to it, dragons should not either, as they are alive!
Look at my nick and avatar, it'll prove that dragons can be backstabbed!

Edited by Turambar, 24 October 2010 - 09:09 AM.

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#37 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:26 AM

I've noticed that all dragons are immune to backstab... Why? Especially considering that undead are not immune to it, dragons should not either, as they are alive!

I don't know either. I would just keep a list of all that kind of stuff and post it under that 'BP Mysteries' topic or something. If horred gets back around here, he can respond to it then, otherwise we should probably just stick to bug fixes etc.

#38 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 09:53 AM

I don't know either. I would just keep a list of all that kind of stuff and post it under that 'BP Mysteries' topic or something. If horred gets back around here, he can respond to it then, otherwise we should probably just stick to bug fixes etc.

I've seen that the dragon immunity to backstab exists in vanilla dragons as well... ok, I'll just tweak it on my own, and I won't change the BP dragons.

Turambar

vipersig.jpg

#39 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 24 October 2010 - 10:26 AM

It might be a PnP thing:

All dragons have excellent senses of sight, smell and hearing. Their enhanced senses enable them to detect all invisible objects and creatures (including creatures or items hidden in darkness or fog) within a radius equal to 10 feet times their age category.

Presumably this means someone couldn't sneak up on them under normal circumstances.

#40 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 28 October 2010 - 07:24 AM

I've been quite busy recently; anyway, I've finished the brown Dragon component (which is called improved small teeth pass... why?), but I haven't been able to test it yet (I'll have to change quite a lot ov variables to test that). Anyway, I can upload it, if someone else has time to test it (the installation works and NI says there are no problems, but I haven't played that).
There were loads of resources from TDD, which were not included in the folder, but I'll include them in the folder I'll upload.

In the code, I've written two different sets of instructions to see if spell.ids contains some particular lines. Which is best?
COPY_EXISTING - ~spell.ids~ ~override~
	SPRINT iceshard ~Forcespell(Lastseenby(Myself),COM_ICE_SHARD)~
BUT_ONLY
IF ~COM_ICE_SHARD~
ACTION_IF (IDS_OF_SYMBOL (~spell~ ~COM_ICE_SHARD~)>0) BEGIN
	OUTER_SPRINT iceshard ~Forcespell(Lastseenby(Myself),COM_ICE_SHARD)~
END

I think some lines from the main component could be moved in an ALWAYS action (and removed from any other subcomponent I have already posted, if there are any):
ALWAYS SILENT
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~6 ONE_ROUND~  UNLESS ~ONE_ROUND~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~12 TWO_ROUNDS~ UNLESS ~TWO_ROUNDS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~18 THREE_ROUNDS~ UNLESS ~THREE_ROUNDS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~24 FOUR_ROUNDS~ UNLESS ~FOUR_ROUNDS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~30 FIVE_ROUNDS~ UNLESS ~FIVE_ROUNDS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~36 SIX_ROUNDS~ UNLESS ~SIX_ROUNDS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~42 SEVEN_ROUNDS~ UNLESS ~SEVEN_ROUNDS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~48 EIGHT_ROUNDS~ UNLESS ~EIGHT_ROUNDS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~54 NINE_ROUNDS~ UNLESS ~NINE_ROUNDS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~60 TEN_ROUNDS~ UNLESS ~TEN_ROUNDS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~60 ONE_TURN~ UNLESS ~ONE_TURN~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~120 TWO_TURNS~ UNLESS ~TWO_TURNS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~180 THREE_TURNS~ UNLESS ~THREE_TURNS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~240 FOUR_TURNS~ UNLESS ~FOUR_TURNS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~300 FIVE_TURNS~ UNLESS ~FIVE_TURNS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~300 ONE_HOUR~ UNLESS ~ONE_HOUR~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~360 SIX_TURNS~ UNLESS ~SIX_TURNS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~420 SEVEN_TURNS~ UNLESS ~SEVEN_TURNS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~480 EIGHT_TURNS~ UNLESS ~EIGHT_TURNS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~540 NINE_TURNS~ UNLESS ~NINE_TURNS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~600 TEN_TURNS~ UNLESS ~TEN_TURNS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~600 TWO_HOURS~ UNLESS ~TWO_HOURS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~900 FIFTEEN_TURNS~ UNLESS ~FIFTEEN_TURNS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~900 THREE_HOURS~ UNLESS ~THREE_HOURS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~1200 FOUR_HOURS~ UNLESS ~FOUR_HOURS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~1500 FIVE_HOURS~ UNLESS ~FIVE_HOURS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~1800 SIX_HOURS~ UNLESS ~SIX_HOURS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~2100 SEVEN_HOURS~ UNLESS ~SEVEN_HOURS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~2400 EIGHT_HOURS~ UNLESS ~EIGHT_HOURS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~2700 NINE_HOURS~ UNLESS ~NINE_HOURS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~3000 TEN_HOURS~ UNLESS ~TEN_HOURS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~3300 ELEVEN_HOURS~ UNLESS ~ELEVEN_HOURS~
APPEND ~GTIMES.IDS~ ~3600 TWELVE_HOURS~ UNLESS ~TWELVE_HOURS~
VERBOSE
END
This would allow many scripts to be compiled.
From the level50 component, many tra-strings had remained unused, and I'll need the following two:
English

@451 Topaz Dragon
@450 Brown Dragon

Italian

@450 Drago di Topazio
@451 Drago Marrone

The code is:
/////////////////////SMALL TEETH PASS//////////////////////////

// Brown Dragon code by Hlidskialf; Brown Dragon by Kensai Ryu

BEGIN @395

SILENT     //ADD_SPELL is quite spammy

APPEND ~spell.ids~ ~2302 WIZARD_REMOVE_MAGIC~ UNLESS ~WIZARD_REMOVE_MAGIC~

ADD_SPELL ~BPv180/BrownDragon/spin396.spl~ 3 1 TOPAZ_DRAGON_BREATH

//the following lines check wether a TDD spell exists, and only add a line if TDD is installed

OUTER_SPRINT iceshard ~~
/*
COPY_EXISTING - ~spell.ids~ ~override~
	SPRINT iceshard ~Forcespell(Lastseenby(Myself),COM_ICE_SHARD)~
BUT_ONLY
IF ~COM_ICE_SHARD~
*/
VERBOSE

//These lines could replace the ones I've commented out
ACTION_IF (IDS_OF_SYMBOL (~spell~ ~COM_ICE_SHARD~)>0) BEGIN
	OUTER_SPRINT iceshard ~Forcespell(Lastseenby(Myself),COM_ICE_SHARD)~
END

COMPILE EVALUATE_BUFFER ~BPv180/BrownDragon/baf~

ACTION_BASH_FOR ~BPv180/BrownDragon/FileDump~ ~.*~ BEGIN
	ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~%BASH_FOR_FILE%~ BEGIN
		COPY ~BPv180/BrownDragon/FileDump/%BASH_FOR_FILE%~ ~override~	//don't copy if exists
	END
END

COPY ~BPv180/BrownDragon/bpdragtp.cre~      ~override~       
	SAY NAME1 @451																//@451 must be topaz dragon
	SAY NAME2 @451
	PATCH_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~BPWDASGT.bcs~ BEGIN
		WRITE_ASCII %SCRIPT_DEFAULT% ~WDASIGHT~
	END

COPY ~BPv180/BrownDragon/bpdrgbrn.cre~      ~override~       
	SAY NAME1 @450																//@450 must become Brown Dragon
	SAY NAME2 @450

ACTION_IF NOT FILE_EXISTS_IN_GAME ~BPSULDRA.cre~ BEGIN
	COPY ~BPv180/SULDAN/BPSULDRA.CRE~ ~override~			//compatibility all right?
	COMPILE ~BPv180/SULDAN/BPSULDRA.baf~
END
EXTEND_BOTTOM ~AR1700.bcs~ ~BPv180/BrownDragon/bAR1700.bcs~
I'll still have to check that all spells of the dragons exist.

The folder is: (I have moved some pieces from the CRE and SNIP folder of BP here; you can remove them unless they are used by the core component as well)Attached File  BrownDragon.rar   7.22K   201 downloads

Edited by Turambar, 28 October 2010 - 07:59 AM.

Turambar

vipersig.jpg