• 6573 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:30 AM

Posted Image

File Name: Sword Coast Map Labels
File Submitter: Miloch
File Submitted: 14 Dec 2010
File Updated: 17 Dec 2010
File Category: Miscellaneous Released Mods

This mini-mod assigns "canon" labels to all areas in the Baldur's Gate I (Sword Coast) portion of the game. If an area lacks references in PnP canon material, the mod will assign the Dudleyville label. Where feasible, the labels attempt to avoid spoilers. See the readme for more information.

Click here to download this file

Attached Images

• tutumap.png

Edited by Miloch, 16 December 2010 - 06:41 PM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#2 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 05:16 AM

Nice! Instant download :coolthumb:

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#3 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:24 AM

Nice! Instant download :coolthumb:

Yep. :D

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#4 Shaitan

Shaitan
  • 800 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 07:07 AM

You just make me wish that I was burried deep into BG1 :)

:cheers:

#5 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 01:10 PM

There seems to be some name mismatches with BGT and/or the BP-BGT Worldmap mod. E.g. you replace "Mutamin's Garden" with "Sharp Teeth Waste," but on BGT with the BP-BGT Worldmap mod the area ends up being called "Basilisk Monument."
For compatibility with Worldmap's Original Travel Times you need to REPLACE_TEXTUALLY on "Worldmap/map_mods_trans.tra" and for compatibility with Revised Travel Times you apparently need to REPLACE_TEXTUALLY on both files.

#6 Dakk

Dakk
  • 398 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:13 PM

Why just "Grove" instead of the "Cloakwood Grove" that you posted in the discussion thread?

And great work!!

EDIT: Also, your readme states the name is "Cloakwood Grove" :) And I must say I really like the no-spoiler names - comparing the old to the new it's really striking how much the original names give away.

Edited by Dakk, 14 December 2010 - 02:16 PM.

#7 cmorgan

cmorgan
  • Modder
  • 2301 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 02:22 PM

Cool - snagged it. Very nice, Miloch!

#8 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 03:32 PM

I'm not sure where 'Fire Leaf Forest' comes from but the area (ar5300) has a marker in it calling itself 'Cloud Peak Mountains'. Whereas the 'Cloud Peaks' in the map above (ar5500) has no marker at all. I'd suggest 'Cloud Peak Mountains' for ar5300 and 'Area With Three or More Gibberlings', aka 'G>3' for ar5500.

(Half of this suggestion is serious)

Love the idea though.

Edited by CamDawg, 14 December 2010 - 03:35 PM.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#9 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 14 December 2010 - 06:16 PM

There seems to be some name mismatches with BGT and/or the BP-BGT Worldmap mod. E.g. you replace "Mutamin's Garden" with "Sharp Teeth Waste," but on BGT with the BP-BGT Worldmap mod the area ends up being called "Basilisk Monument."

The Worldmap and BGT have different labels, but it should end up being called "Sharp Teeth Waste" no matter what, because I'm matching on area codes not the previous text. Unless it's installed before the Worldmap mod, then it replaces entries in its .tra file.

For compatibility with Worldmap's Original Travel Times you need to REPLACE_TEXTUALLY on "Worldmap/map_mods_trans.tra" and for compatibility with Revised Travel Times you apparently need to REPLACE_TEXTUALLY on both files.

I don't know why the Worldmap mod ends up extracting analogous files to 2 different folders (BP-BGT_Worldmap and Worldmap, not to be confused with BGT/Worldmap) - maybe you have an idea? But I guess I'll take your word about replacing in both, which is nearly as easy as replacing in one. It is probably easiest and best just to install this after Worldmap, no?

Why just "Grove" instead of the "Cloakwood Grove" that you posted in the discussion thread?

It's "Grove" only on the small (BG1/Tutu) map; as you can see above, "Cloakwood Grove" does not actually fit horizontally without overwriting other labels. And you can't put line breaks in map labels. I tried - it just ignores them. With the Worldmap mod, "Cloakwood Grove" can be spelled out because there's more room.

I'm not sure where 'Fire Leaf Forest' comes from but the area (ar5300) has a marker in it calling itself 'Cloud Peak Mountains'. Whereas the 'Cloud Peaks' in the map above (ar5500) has no marker at all. I'd suggest 'Cloud Peak Mountains' for ar5300 and 'Area With Three or More Gibberlings', aka 'G>3' for ar5500.

There was some discussion of that in this thread. The gist is that the actual Cloud Peaks mountain range covers everything on the current map from "Bear River" to "Valley of the Tombs" (and stretches much further east) and of the 2 areas that have "Cloud Peaks" markers, neither is mountainous (or even "peakish"). So I used that label for what Dudley calls "Gibberling Mountains" (aka "Dragon's Run" in BGT) because that's clearly in the Cloud Peaks and is the only area that actually looks like it.

I could do a component that changes the text on the markers in those areas so it's not as confusing. That should be easy enough.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#10 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 10:47 AM

The Worldmap and BGT have different labels, but it should end up being called "Sharp Teeth Waste" no matter what, because I'm matching on area codes not the previous text. Unless it's installed before the Worldmap mod, then it replaces entries in its .tra file.

Yeah, I meant the .tra patching (where is says "Mutamin's Garden" in worldmap.tra and "Basilisk Monument" in map_mods_trans.tra, IIRC).

I don't know why the Worldmap mod ends up extracting analogous files to 2 different folders (BP-BGT_Worldmap and Worldmap, not to be confused with BGT/Worldmap) - maybe you have an idea? But I guess I'll take your word about replacing in both, which is nearly as easy as replacing in one. It is probably easiest and best just to install this after Worldmap, no?

The stuff in "Worldmap/" is for other mods, e.g. BGT, so BP-BGT Worldmap can get it right after it nukes the worldmap. But doubtlessly it'd be easier to just install the mod after BP-BGT Worldmap.

#11 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 01:47 PM

Yeah, I meant the .tra patching (where is says "Mutamin's Garden" in worldmap.tra and "Basilisk Monument" in map_mods_trans.tra, IIRC).

Does this piece of contorted code look like it'll do the trick?
Spoiler
(Yeah, it's tough to follow all the SPRINTed variables, but that's apparently how WeiDU has to handle translations with the likes of REPLACE_TEXTUALLY, unless someone's made it easier and I haven't noticed.)

I gave it a smoke test with the files present and it seemed to pass, but I can't imagine all the possible different Worldmap permutations.

#12 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:46 AM

Does this piece of contorted code look like it'll do the trick?

It seems "South Lighthouse" (AR4100/ARA100) doesn't get replaced in map_mods_trans.tra. But the rest seems to work.

"Balduran's Isle, South" (AR2000/ARW000) ends up being called Ice Island, "Balduran's Isle, North" and "Fire Leaf Forest" (AR5300/AR4300) end up with strref -1 with Revised Travel Times, but that looks like bugs in BP-BGT-Worldmap.

#13 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:11 PM

It seems "South Lighthouse" (AR4100/ARA100) doesn't get replaced in map_mods_trans.tra. But the rest seems to work.

This is called "Sword###Coast" in my map_mods_trans.tra, but this file is generated dynamically or something? So I guess I can replace "South###Lighthouse" too (aka "Arch[a]eological Site" aka "Caves of Kozah").

"Balduran's Isle, South" (AR2000/ARW000) ends up being called Ice Island, "Balduran's Isle, North" and "Fire Leaf Forest" (AR5300/AR4300) end up with strref -1 with Revised Travel Times, but that looks like bugs in BP-BGT-Worldmap.

I'm not sure how that ends up happening, but I guess you'll fix it in Worldmap?

#14 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:51 PM

This is called "Sword###Coast" in my map_mods_trans.tra, but this file is generated dynamically or something? So I guess I can replace "South###Lighthouse" too (aka "Arch[a]eological Site" aka "Caves of Kozah").

Ah, when "Sword###Coast" is replaced by "Lighthouse," "South###Sword###Coast" becomes "South###Lighthouse."

I'm not sure how that ends up happening, but I guess you'll fix it in Worldmap?

The Fire Leaf Forest thing is apparently because it says [N]o name or tool tip in the BP-BGT Worldmap area table. The Werewolf island bit is puzzling, because it seems to work right when the unmodded mod is installed, but maybe there is/was some fluke.

#15 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:50 PM

Ah, when "Sword###Coast" is replaced by "Lighthouse," "South###Sword###Coast" becomes "South###Lighthouse."

Oh, well that shouldn't happen in the published version, because I search and replace the whole quoted string (e.g. ~"Lighthouse"~).

Anyway I uploaded that v2:

Version 2: 16 Dec 2010
- Improved Worldmap mod compatibility
- Added "Update Map Markers" component

The new component changes the "Cloud Peak Mountains" markers in "Dryad Falls" and "Fire Leaf Forest" to those labels. Though no one's mentioned this, there are also markers for "Wood of Sharp Teeth" in both Peldvale and Larswood, and "Sword Coast" labels in both the Shipwreck and Lighthouse areas. But I think those are fine, so I didn't change them. In the former case, the markers are on the east side of the map where it gets more foresty, presumably pointing the way to the actual Wood. In the latter case, the Sword Coast obviously covers a vast stretch all the way up to Icewind Dale or whatever. So as long as there's no area called "Sword Coast" there shouldn't really be confusion.

#16 billymas2005

billymas2005
  • 57 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 01:48 PM

Hi all,
Can anyone give me the area code for the map which is east of Larswood?
(In this thread,it's called Wood of sharp Teeth)
In the BP-BGT Worldmap v8.1,i don't seem can find the access to the map,
all i found is just Durlag's Tower..... :wacko:

#17 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 27 December 2010 - 07:19 PM

BGT: AR9100
TuTu: FW3000
BGI: AR3000

:cheers:

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#18 -Vortaka-

-Vortaka-

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:23 PM

Just a little THANK YOU note! I didn't really like the BGT version (too big and a little weird to read (anyway for me!)), but since yours is only a caption or let's say title change, it works great!

Thanks again!

Vortaka

#19 prowler

prowler

Translator

• 425 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 10:05 AM

Russian translation by Silent from Arcanecoast.ru

Attached Files

Edited by prowler, 01 October 2011 - 10:08 AM.

Murloc-translator
Coordinator of the Russian BWP Translation Team - Arcanecoast.ru
Work with SHS, PPG, G3, CoM, Dragon's Hoard, Sorcerer's Place, RPG Dungeon

#20 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:52 PM

Thanks - will try to incorporate when I get some time.