• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#21 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 25 August 2012 - 08:43 PM

I think it might be remotely possible that this stutter happens when two or more ambients (particularly the same ambient perhaps) overlap in their radius of effect, which in this case is 500 (pixels I'm guessing). So does am1900e2.wav work fine but not am1900e1? There are several of each in that area.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#22 -Shin-

-Shin-

Posted 25 August 2012 - 09:59 PM

Yeah, as far as I've been able to tell it runs normally with just am1900e1 disabled, and I tried walking around the map a bit. I was also guessing it could be related to the wav being linked to several locations.. but on the other hand I haven't noticed it on any earlier install, so it might be depending on some other mod. And then there's the subzone thing GeN1e found too - not sure if he managed to pinpoint the guilty wavs, but his problem didn't go away when he swapped the suspected wavs, so it could well be correct that it isn't what's in the file that matters, but rather when it plays.

#23 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 03:44 AM

I don't know if it's so much the "when" the sounds play, but rather the "where." This seems to corroborate what I was thinking:

This leads me to believe that water sounds are not responsible, even though the stutter usually happens in areas with lots of water running.

In Candlekeep where GeN1e first noticed this, you have several fountain ambients (amb_e28) with large radii of effect (700). Doubtless many of these overlap since some are practically right next to each other. I could imagine this could cause stutter when the engine is trying to fire the same .wav off, possibly at slightly staggered times. Certainly it wouldn't sound pretty at the very least. Maybe some sort of math-heavy code could go through and adjust all the conflicting ambients, but in the meantime, maybe we could test by reducing the radii to areas where they won't overlap and test it again. I haven't been able to reproduce the stutter, so it's a bit hard for me to test.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#24 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 26 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

I don't have any of the games installed on this computer, but if you can post the full area graphic as a JPEG (The druid grove AR1900?) along with a list of the different ambients, where they are centered, and their radii, I would like to try something :) .

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#25 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:20 AM

A visual of the overlapping:

AR1900-Visual.jpg

Attached File  AR1900-Visual.rar   4.91MB   130 downloads

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#26 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 02:14 AM

Very cool... did you use some sort of script to do that? It should be incorporated into DLTCEP.

Can you also colour-code the ambients that are the same reference? :)

It looks like there are about 4 stacked on each other in the northwest corner - what's with that?

Now someone just needs to write a WeiDU superfunction to go through and adjust/delete conflicting ambient radii...

#27 -Shin-

-Shin-

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:51 AM

Hmm, that is indeed cool.. not many places you can go without getting the overlap it seems. I'm not convinced it explains the issue on its own though - for one thing the slowdown was apparent upon entering the area (southeast corner) when none of those sounds should have been triggered yet, and there's still the quickfix GeN1e found that inexplicably makes it go away until you reload or reenter.

#28 Wisp

Wisp
  • Modder
  • 1353 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 11:59 AM

Yeah, it might be wise to confirm this problem and proposed solution on a small scale first.

Personally, I have my doubts. Overlapping ambients are by no means rare, so it that was it I would think this problem would be a lot more prevalent.

#29 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 12:34 PM

Very cool... did you use some sort of script to do that? It should be incorporated into DLTCEP.

I wrote a quick program to generate an ImageMagick script.

Can you also colour-code the ambients that are the same reference? :)

Sure :)

It looks like there are about 4 stacked on each other in the northwest corner - what's with that?

for one thing the slowdown was apparent upon entering the area (southeast corner) when none of those sounds should have been triggered yet

Several of the ambients in the area (including at least a couple in the top left corner) have the "Ignore radius(2)" flag set. This would mean that regardless of the specified radius, you would be in the area effect of multiple ambients as soon as you enter the area. As you pointed out, however, this is a fairly common occurance. Miloch, how do you want to handle the rendering of these (ones with ignore radius flag) on the area background?

Now someone just needs to write a WeiDU superfunction to go through and adjust/delete conflicting ambient radii...

Could you start by writing a WeiDU script to extract the full area graphic as a BMP (leaving out the extra tiles at the bottom of the tileset), and a tab-delimited list of: ambient name, associated WAV (although some have many... Haven't decided how to handle those yet...), Origin X, Origin Y, and Radius?

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#30 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 01:06 PM

Color-coded including ambients with "Ignore radius(2)" flag:
AR1900-Visual-Full.jpg

Color-coded excluding ambients with "Ignore radius(2)" flag:
AR1900-Visual.jpg

Edited by Sam., 27 August 2012 - 01:11 PM.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#31 -Shin-

-Shin-

Posted 22 September 2012 - 12:32 PM

Well well, it's been weeks and I've started running a BGT playthrough for comparison, and getting exactly the same issues in certain areas both in BG and BG2, with the disabling of specific wav files serving as a workaround, but still have absolutely no idea what causes it. Given how few the people who seem to experience these issues are, maybe it's some kind of sound card or sound driver setup not optimal for the BG sound format, or other problem beyond the reach of easy diagnostics. At any rate, it will hopefully disappear in the transition to EE.

#32 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 02:44 PM

Sam. - thought I'd commented on the last post but very cool anyway. Shows more clearly that there are relatively few of the same ambient that overlap. Still might not be the issue, but you may not have to step into the actual overlapping sections... maybe the fact that it occurs in an area is enough to trigger the stutter. Maybe not, but I still think people who get the issue should test it with and without modding the ambient radii to something smaller.

Shin - that could be the case but is hard to tell unless folks who have the issue post their sound cards and the exact areas where they get the stutter. So far, no one's really done this. Also it is unlikely for BGEE to fix the issue if it occurs in the ToB engine and no one knows exactly *what* the issue is (so far it seems inconclusive without further details and testing).

#33 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 24 September 2012 - 09:26 PM

getting exactly the same issues in certain areas both in BG and BG2,

If everyone starts posting what they are, it may reveal some commonality. Plus I'll generate and post a visual of each one.

Miloch, would it be necessary/interesting/worth my time to calculate the overlapping area of the ambients with the same sound file(s)?

Edited by Sam., 24 September 2012 - 09:26 PM.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#34 -Shin-

-Shin-

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:23 PM

I'll post some I've found, but the more of these I encounter, the less sense they seem to make. Another thing I've noticed is that if you move only one character in a stutter area it's usually fairly smooth, but if you try to move the full party it causes heavy stutter instantly.

AR0700 (Waukeen's Promenade) - the stutter kicks in only at night when the AM-FirePot 1-14 ambients kick in. The wav is AM0700O.WAV
AR0300 (Athkatla Docks) - this one seems to go against the overlapping hypothesis since it appears one single file causes the issue here, AM-Tower Fire. The wav is AM0300O.WAV
AR7900 (BG1 Wyrm's Crossing), River1-River22 (AMB_E09B.WAV) and all the Fire ones (Ambients 25-36, AMB_E14A.WAV)
AR7000 (BG1 Cloakwood Lodge), River1-RIver5 (AMB_E08B.WAV)
ARU000 (Ulgoth's Beard), all the "Surf Noises (Beach)" i.e. ambients 1 and 7-9, AMB_E10B.WAV
AR9500 (BG1 Lighthouse) - Ocean1-Ocean20, i.e. every ambient sound in that area. They all use the same wav, AMB_E10A.WAV as GeN1e mentioned.
AR8500 (Baldur's Gate Docks) - Ocean1-Ocean10, AMB_E10B.WAV

#35 -Shin-

-Shin-

Posted 25 September 2012 - 05:31 PM

Obviously certain water sounds and fire sounds seem to be the cause of a lot of it.. if not all. One more, very limited area implying size doesn't play into it much:

ARU002 (Ulgoth's Beard basement where you fight Aec'Letec), Torches 01-06, AMB_E14A.WAV

#36 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 25 September 2012 - 07:46 PM

AR0700 (Waukeen's Promenade) - the stutter kicks in only at night when the AM-FirePot 1-14 ambients kick in. The wav is AM0700O.WAV

Visual for AR0700

For some reason, it kept returning an error when I tired to attach the .jpg to the post...

Edited by Sam., 29 September 2012 - 02:41 PM.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#37 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 01:24 PM

Miloch, would it be necessary/interesting/worth my time to calculate the overlapping area of the ambients with the same sound file(s)?

Well it might be worth analysing some of the areas in which no overlap is claimed, such as ar0300 above? Obviously, there is quite a bit in ar0700 at least in one area of it but I don't know if that's conclusive. I think we can get to the bottom of this with enough data and analysis.

#38 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 04:00 PM

Analysis of Stutter vs File Size & Type for ToB:
Attached File  Stutter vs File Size & Type for ToB.xls   846K   143 downloads

I only had the files from BG2, not BG1. I may have to do a BGT install to get them all... I thought some of the ambients might not have been compressed to WAVC, but they all were. Considering the two ambients reported to cause stutter that were on this list were way down the list as far as filesize, I'm not so sure that has anything to do with it ether. Those two things were really easy to test, so I figured it couldn't hurt :) .

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#39 -Shin-

-Shin-

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:37 AM

Hm.. yeah, indeed there doesn't seem to be any obvious correlation between file size and stutter. I'll be doing some playing over the weekend, so will report more areas as I run into them.

#40 -Shin-

-Shin-

Posted 28 September 2012 - 09:12 AM

AR0500, Athkatla Bridge District - AM-Water 1 through AM-Water 6. AM1600B1.WAV and AM1600B2.WAV