Photo

SHS Suggestions and Problems Thread

• Please log in to reply
388 replies to this topic

#101 Zireael

Zireael
  • 191 posts

Posted 14 May 2011 - 02:55 AM

If bots can post as guest, they can also register, even if they will have to supply an e-mail and validate it (that said, I still would prefer to see guest posting disabled, but that's another matter).

The Question/Answer system like in the Imoen Romance forums is probably the most effective system against spam, since the answers can't be guessed by bots not specifically designed to target Baldur's Gate forums. This is not only much more effective against Bots, but also much more friendly to humans who do not have to decipher those horribles (and ineffective) captchas.

The Q&A system would be better, even if the question is as easy as the one on BWL. It could be even something like 'What is your father's name?' Answer: 'Bhaal'. Or 'foster father's'...

#102 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 11:04 AM

The Question/Answer system like in the Imoen Romance forums is probably the most effective system against spam, since the answers can't be guessed by bots not specifically designed to target Baldur's Gate forums.

The Q&A system would be better, even if the question is as easy as the one on BWL. It could be even something like 'What is your father's name?' Answer: 'Bhaal'. Or 'foster father's'...

I see several potential problems with this type of system. Firstly, consider the various Total Conversions hosted at SHS. Take Classic Adventures for instance. The story doesn't take place in Amn, or even anywhere along the Sword Coast. The plot has nothing to do with Bhaal, you don't start off in Candlekeep or Irenicus's Dungeon, and none of the quests are the same. Even if someone who wants to post a question about CA on the forum has played Baldur's Gate before, they aren't necessarily familiar enough with it to be able to answer the questions. In the past, I have loaned one of my copies of BG2 to various friends so that they could try Classic Adventures. They have never played any of the Baldur's Gate games, and so would be unable to answer any questions about them.

Another example is in the Operating Theatre. Many legitimate posters may have never played the Baldur's Gate games. Lola here is a good example of this.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#103 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:22 AM

Well, you're not forced to ask a question about Baldur's Gate lore if this is what you fear. Examples :

- What is the color of snow ?
- What is the first name of Barrak Obama ?
- What is the first letter of Athaktla ?

But I think it would be less effective. Players of C.A. should remember at least major bits of Baldur's Gate II plot. I don't suggest to ask tough questions like : "Gives all Harpers Names that will fight you when Jaheira brings you to the Harper basement". But basic questions everyone who has played once should remember : Who is Irenicus's sister ? What is Bodhi ? Where is Athaktla ? What is the name of Baldur's Gate II expansion pack ?

Even if you don't know the answer of one question, you can ask the forum to ask you another one, just like when a captcha is unreadable, you usually have a way to generate another one.

Reported ten spams today... even one in this very topic. All of the recent posts are spam. Please do something. SHS shoudn't become like Imoen Romance's old forums (which died because of spam). By the way, Gibberlings 3 is also spammed, even if a bit less than SHS.
French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.

#104 Solaufein

Solaufein

No fate but what we make

• Modder
  • 263 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:13 AM

Spam bots, that's what happens when you allow guest posting. But still you will get those few bots that can actually sign up. Disable guest posting and you'll cut out 75-80% of spam bots.
Her lips were red, her looks were free
Her locks were as yellow as gold
Her skin was white as leprosy.
The Nightmare Life-in-Death was she,
Who thicks man's blood with cold.

Samuel Taylor Coleridge

http://teambg.net
The Undying

#105 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 12:54 PM

Wikipedia exists, as does google. Even if you never played BG1, if you can't look up the name of BG1's antagonist on Wikipedia you have no business posting on the same forum as grown-ups.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#106 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 04:12 AM

Just below the Donation Tracker, the "recently added topics" frame, 100% filled with spam. Who would donate in that case ?
French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.

#107 Choo Choo

Choo Choo

AIR CONDITIONER GRILL

• Modder
  • 3001 posts

Posted 19 May 2011 - 04:04 AM

We're aware of all the spam, and I'd wager we're more tired of it than you guys are, since we're the ones cleaning it up.

I'm really not the most knowledgeable when it comes to tech issues, but I do know that getting rid of all the spam without disabling guest posting - which won't reduce all of it and will cut out all real, active content from guests - will take upgrading the forum software, and that's not something done over ten minutes. It will be dealt with as soon as possible, so please, be patient and just keep reporting any spam you see. Thanks. :)

Edited by Choo Choo, 19 May 2011 - 04:05 AM.

theacefes: You have to be realistic as well, you can't just be Swedish!

#108 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 12:31 PM

Search 'weidu' = No results found for 'weidu'.

Eh?

-Y-

#109 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 31 May 2011 - 11:43 AM

Eh?

-Y-

Psh, *no one* uses Weidu anymore. :P
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#110 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 09:23 AM

Eh?

-Y-

Psh, *no one* uses Weidu anymore. :P

I was able to reproduce this by typing in 'WeiDU'. The search function does not work.

-Galactygon
Posted Image

#111 Cerest

Cerest
  • 157 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 06:09 PM

http://mycroft.mozde...ellhold Studios

This, however does work. Its a simple search extension that inputs "Weidu" as "site:shsforums.net weidu" onto a google search engine.

You can google search, "site:shsforums.net weidu" yourself, but the above plugin will integrate it directly into your browser when you manage your search engines.

#112 Galactygon

Galactygon

Modding since 2002

• 938 posts

Posted 25 July 2011 - 10:50 PM

Unfortunately, the search engines only return topics; they do not allow you to preview and scroll through the individual posts if for example, what you are looking for is buried in a 20-page thread.

-Galactygon
Posted Image

#113 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 10:06 AM

Is it possible for admin to get in touch with me about gaining access or info on how to go about updating PST mods? I tried to send K'aeloree a PM few weeks ago and haven't heard back. I imagine he gets lots of PM's and is busy so I figured I'd post in here in case someone else can help. Qwinn always took care of packaging and releasing updates, so I have no clue how to go about it.

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#114 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 05:35 PM

Hey! I got your PM, just haven't had the time to set it up (it's a bit of an involved process). I've just set it up so you're a moderator of those categories, it's a bit of a quick'n'dirty fix but at least you'll have access to them.

#115 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 07 August 2011 - 07:29 PM

Ah great thank you!

Those interested in the classic TBS game Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri / Alien Crossover should check out the unofficial patch I work on here.

#116 scient

scient
  • Modder
  • 1010 posts

Posted 08 August 2011 - 07:57 AM

I updated all download pages, would it be possible to update the readme's as well with ones found in new packages? Just minor changes to version/changelog so no hurry. I attached the three html readme files below for convenience. I take it this requires access to server and not accessible to Qwinn or myself?

http://readme.spellh...ack_Readme.html
http://readme.spellh...TUB_Readme.html
http://readme.spellh...aks_Readme.html

Attached File  readme_update.rar   60.28K   150 downloads

Thanks again for helping me get this sorted. :)

Edited by scient, 08 August 2011 - 07:58 AM.

#117 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 23 August 2011 - 05:32 AM

This text has been at the bottom of the first forum page since the two thousand and eleven update:

0 member(s) have a birthday today
No members are celebrating a birthday today

It might be time to fix the calendar or whatever... not that it needs to be hurried up, my birth day was about a month ago.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#118 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:05 AM

Also, the "Support topic" -links in the download sectioning rarely lead to anywhere... It actually gives this:

An Error Occurred
Sorry, an error occurred. If you are unsure on how to use a feature, or don't know why you got this error message, try looking through the help files for more information.
[#10342] We could not determine which forum this topic is in.

At least to intelligent location because the whole section is auto created and cannot be changed by the upload-ers, well at least by us the regular members...

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#119 phordicus

phordicus
  • 212 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 05:53 PM

All attachments are corrupted for me. First I've tried since the change.
Druid Kit Enhancements 1.0 (requires Dispel Magic fix, whether ToBEx's or Taimon's)

#120 Bookwyrme

Bookwyrme
  • Modder
  • 5804 posts

Posted 31 January 2012 - 06:01 PM

All attachments are corrupted for me. First I've tried since the change.

I'm finding the same. .d attachments appear to work, but I've tried .rar a few times on a couple of days, and it's showing up as corrupt.

Mods: <a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.shsforums...-auroras-shoes/">Aurora's Shoes (released),