• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#1 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:01 PM

Please post any bugs for Version 0.49 here.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#2 agnar

agnar
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:09 AM

Please post any bugs for Version 0.49 here.

Not a bug report yet, and if this is out of place here, i apologize. i just wanted to check on something, before i downloaded the .49 version. Are the only changes the selgaunt interiors, or where some bug fixes from previous versions done also? Since i only downloaded .47 and .48 a couple weeks ago, i'd feel bad sticking spellhold with another 1 GB+ download by me right away just so i can see the interiors. i'm sure they're worth the download, but i just wondered if there where changes that affect the storyline/playing experience also.

i hope no offense is taken from my asking. Now, if you have worries about bugs with the movement around selgaunt itself and i can be helpful exploring the empty city, going in all the buildings, then i'll be glad to grab it and run it through it's paces in the new areas.

i guess owning/running a few websites of my own has made me think more about other sites bandwidths and since you all do this stuff for free, i did want to ask before grabbing another 1GB+ download. :cheers:

#3 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:13 AM

You can always download it later. Nothing in this version requires you to go download it immediately.

There are many bug fixes I have included from what you all have posted here. There are still many to do and I am sure some new ones that I have created. The interiors are the main reason for a new upload. The mod is huge and took me several tries to get it uploaded. The next couple of updates will probably just be individual mods and bug fixes. Version .50 will be the next big one but I don't expect that one anytime soon.

Tired of Bhaal? Try some classics mods instead:
Classic Adventures
Official Classic Adventures Website

#4 agnar

agnar
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:27 AM

You can always download it later. Nothing in this version requires you to go download it immediately.

There are many bug fixes I have included from what you all have posted here. There are still many to do and I am sure some new ones that I have created. The interiors are the main reason for a new upload. The mod is huge and took me several tries to get it uploaded. The next couple of updates will probably just be individual mods and bug fixes. Version .50 will be the next big one but I don't expect that one anytime soon.

Thanks for the quick answer, and once more for all of the hard work. i was thinking of starting over, playing again, and since you did include a bunch of fixes too i probably will download this version before playing through a 4th time. Along with the pure fun, knowing changes were made at various spots i can try to be useful too and make note of any bugs new to me from previous runs.

A couple days ago i decided to try making an npc myself, for BG2, though since i don't know the code yet, obviously i'm just doing the writing part currently. i figure get that done then teach myself how to code it properly. But just the writing part, all the different options and responses, for just one npc... makes it all the more impressive to me what you folks have done here with CA.

#5 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 05:28 AM

I have a few file updates if you plan to do the Sunless Citadel. Currently, the ghost will not talk to Chaarna. This script when placed in your override folder will fix this problem.

Dirbert's banter with Chaarna and her talk with Shadow after the death of the guy with the cleaver will also not happen. I have fixed these talks and will upload the script updates later. They aren't a show stopper like the ghost's dialog is.

Attached Files

Classic Adventures

#6 agnar

agnar
  • 86 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:50 AM

Sorry if i'm a pain but has anyone else had an error extracting the .49 rar file after download? i have what looks like the whole file, 1.34GB i think, and i used a download manager to make sure it completed. But when i go to open it i get an error. i'm repairing it with winrar but during the repair it tells me the file ends unexpectedly or something like that.

i'll try the repaired file and see if it's still functional, but i wondered if it was just me or if the upload got cut short.

*edit: I repaired the file and as I'm extracting it I get the message that the file TC3300N.tiz is corrupt, but i also was asked if i wanted to overwrite some files (only.49 was in this directory) so i don't know if there were double copies of any files or if that happened during the repair.

Edited by agnar, 06 March 2009 - 12:14 PM.

#7 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:24 PM

Yeah, I tried to download the file too, and twice it has been damaged... :(

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#8 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:34 PM

I suspected as much. I had several timeouts when trying to upload this monster. I haven't been able to download it myself yet either. Okay, I will see if I can upload it again. Everyone else might as well hold off downloading it for a few more days. Thanks guys for letting me know.

Classic Adventures

#9 ronin

ronin
  • Modder
  • 2114 posts

Posted 08 March 2009 - 09:50 AM

Why dont you split the file up into 6 or 7 smaller files, that way if one gets corrupted on the upload then we dont have to download another 1.3gigs.

#10 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 08:24 AM

Hey, I haven't see you here in ages.

What you mentioned is exactly how I just got the file reuploaded. I am hoping to then get it turned into one file for you all to download. Normally I don't have this many problems with uploading but at 1.35GB, maintenance on the server, and a freshly upgraded ftp program all seem to have conspired against me. We will have to see what happens when the next major release comes out. I don't want to attempt this with a 1.5GB or larger file.

BTW, it was mentioned above about using a download manager. The files are uploaded to an ftp server at SHS. My ftp program allows for autoresume of uploading and usually that works fine. This time around it didn't.

Classic Adventures

#11 fearless

fearless
  • 79 posts

Donator

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:02 AM

I sent a reply msg to leahnkain the other day, not sure if he got it. I was telling him i have some spare bandwidth and space if required. I estimate that i have approx 60+GB per month that i am not using currently, which might help with downloads for CA. I can give create an ftp account for yourself and leahnkain so you can setup a mirror if needed (even website and forums if you want) let me know if you need any help.

fearless

CM690 II Case, Corsair HX1000 PSU, Asus Maximus V Gene, Intel i5-3750K @ 4.2Ghz, Corsair 8GB DDR3, Asus DirectCU GTX-670, Samsung 256GB SSD, WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD x2

https://github.com/mrfearless

#12 agnar

agnar
  • 86 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 01:51 PM

Hey, I haven't see you here in ages.

What you mentioned is exactly how I just got the file reuploaded. I am hoping to then get it turned into one file for you all to download. Normally I don't have this many problems with uploading but at 1.35GB, maintenance on the server, and a freshly upgraded ftp program all seem to have conspired against me. We will have to see what happens when the next major release comes out. I don't want to attempt this with a 1.5GB or larger file.

BTW, it was mentioned above about using a download manager. The files are uploaded to an ftp server at SHS. My ftp program allows for autoresume of uploading and usually that works fine. This time around it didn't.

Would it be hard for the end user to download the 6 or 7 smaller files and extract them out ready for installation? i don't mind dl'ing larger files, but some users might be able get CA as 6 or 7 smaller packages when they're afraid to start the dl of a 1.4GB file. Not sure how you did the splitting, so maybe it's not a user-friendly process, but just thought it might make things easier all around if it's feasible.

#13 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 02:09 PM

Would it be hard for the end user to download the 6 or 7 smaller files and extract them out ready for installation? i don't mind dl'ing larger files, but some users might be able get CA as 6 or 7 smaller packages when they're afraid to start the dl of a 1.4GB file. Not sure how you did the splitting, so maybe it's not a user-friendly process, but just thought it might make things easier all around if it's feasible.

Well, the WinRAR has a fileslicer, but the free version only comes with few options for that... so it's either 3 files(700mb each), or 14-15(100mb each). Of course, after making them, one can combine the packs... :lol:

#14 fearless

fearless
  • 79 posts

Donator

Posted 09 March 2009 - 03:45 PM

Another option is to use bittorrent and share out the file amongst community members.

fearless

CM690 II Case, Corsair HX1000 PSU, Asus Maximus V Gene, Intel i5-3750K @ 4.2Ghz, Corsair 8GB DDR3, Asus DirectCU GTX-670, Samsung 256GB SSD, WD Caviar Black 2TB HDD x2

https://github.com/mrfearless

#15 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 09 March 2009 - 09:00 PM

KSR: It's not so much about bandwidth or anything like that currently, it's more a problem of the file being so large and unwieldy. With any luck we'll sort out whatever problems SirBB is having. (Which reminds me--SirBB, have you tried Filezilla? That's what I tend to use, and it hasn't failed me yet.) The problem with a mirror is that each time a new version is uploaded, it has to be uploaded to several places--and with a file 1.35gb large, that's not exactly an easy task.

Similarly, the problem with torrenting mods is that the mod author has no control over which files are being distributed. Someone will torrent one of the older versions and come to the forums with bugs--the only problem being that those bugs were fixed 7 releases ago. So while it's a good idea in theory, in practice it's not so workable.

#16 Sir BillyBob

Sir BillyBob
  • Modder
  • 5315 posts

Posted 11 March 2009 - 12:17 PM

Torrent software is usually blocked at most places I go to. I attempted to upload the file in pieces here and that seemed to have worked. Am attempting another full upload now. One advantage is that this version will have the fix mentioned above as well as a few typo corrections. Hopefully you all will see something in the next 12-24 hours here.

Classic Adventures

#17 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 12 March 2009 - 07:50 PM

The new upload works fine. I was able to download it. I will install it later this weekend. All of the files seem to be in place.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#18 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 14 March 2009 - 04:35 PM

Now that the 0.49 download work... we get to the joy of bugs.

Now, if you like, these aren't actual bugs, but I have to note these and ask are these bugs.
* Catharandamus seems to lack few second level spells when compared to Blush's spell book, like the Ward of Protection, Bull's Strength and Cure Moderate Wounds.
* The Short Bow +1(bow06) from the Sunless Citadel looks exactly like the Composite Longbows Inventory Icon, and I seem to remember that this was once to be solved with a green bow .bam alike this .gif:
Posted Image

#19 Torvald

Torvald
  • Validating
  • 188 posts

Donator

Posted 14 March 2009 - 09:50 PM

Hello,

Have successfully downloaded CA version 049, but did have a minor problem during install on my Windows XP machine.

On my first install attempt, it bombed part way thru and gave me a message that it was reporting the error to Microsoft. However, when I simply ran the install a second time, it installed without a problem.

To test this out, I tried installing CA v049 on another windows XP machine (my sons) and the same situation occured - failure part way thru the first install attempt, but success on the second install.

Perhaps the install is looking for a required folder and can't find it the first time around, but then sees it the second time.

>> Torvald <<

Edited by Torvald, 14 March 2009 - 09:51 PM.

"My wife says I have the body of a God - Buddha!"

#20 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 15 March 2009 - 05:46 AM

Interesting. My install of v0.49 (also on XP) crashed partway through but worked fine the second time, but I thought it was just a fluke (until now that is...).

Edited by Sam., 15 March 2009 - 05:47 AM.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage