Photo

Distinctive creature coloring [IMPLEMENTED]

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#61 aigleborgne

aigleborgne
  • 95 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 11:12 AM

I think it is better to have specific animation instead of different colors.
Of course, it requires a mod like IA, but some games (Torment, IwD, NwN, ...) covered many of creatures found in BG that just use the same animation over and over.
When choosing between those 2 options, I choose animation :)

That beeing said, it is also cool to have colors because IA is tedious to install and may cause problem or crash.

#62 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 30 September 2011 - 04:31 PM

Not to derail the post too much, but...

I think it is better to have specific animation instead of different colors.

There are specific NWN animations for dryads and nymphs (maybe nereids and hamadryads too, though personally I think those would be fine as recoloured sirines and dryads).
Posted Image Posted Image

That beeing said, it is also cool to have colors because IA is tedious to install and may cause problem or crash.

It doesn't crash unless you install it wrong (like on a Russian system without letting it change the codepage) or if you've found some bug no one's reported yet, because there should be fixes for everything that has been reported.

[Edit: um, we haven't ported the dryad or nymph yet, though, just the succubus. It would really help to have some 'porters' since neither of us has much time these days. It's a fairly easy process, just a bit tedious.]

Edited by Miloch, 30 September 2011 - 04:32 PM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#63 aigleborgne

aigleborgne
  • 95 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 02:26 AM

I didn't "compress" the biff after installing IA, it might be that, but it is an off-topic anyway :)

It doesn't crash unless you install it wrong (like on a Russian system without letting it change the codepage) or if you've found some bug no one's reported yet, because there should be fixes for everything that has been reported.

#64 Andrea C.

Andrea C.
  • Modder
  • 457 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 11:05 AM

There are specific NWN animations for dryads and nymphs (maybe nereids and hamadryads too, though personally I think those would be fine as recoloured sirines and dryads).

I'm all for porting as many distinctive animations as required as that adds variety, on top of P&P adherence, to the game. Those are most awesome :)

#65 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

In light of the upcoming PnP Elementals component, here are some more recolors:

Posted Image
Elementals

Top row: Lesser Fire Elemental, Fire Elemental, Greater Fire Elemental, Fire Salamander, Salamander Noble, Frost Salamander
Middle row: Lesser Air Elemental, Air Elemental, Greater Air Elemental, Aerial Servant
Bottom row: Lesser Earth Elemental, Earth Elemental, Greater Earth Elemental, Water Weird, Greater Water Elemental

#66 Shaitan

Shaitan
  • 800 posts

Posted 04 February 2012 - 10:32 AM

Good colours, looking foreward to my next BG2 run :new_thumbs:

#67 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 07:03 PM

Nice. The fire salamander and earth elementals are a bit too dark, but I guess that's a drawback of using colour effects (particularly if they're in shadows or dark areas of the lightmap - they'll be even darker).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle