NearInfinity

• Please log in to reply
1155 replies to this topic

#381 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 26 January 2015 - 03:10 AM

It should be doable. Actually, for the "Find References" in PVRZ resources I have already added the feature to define a customized list of resource extensions. It should be easy to customize the list for all the other resource types as well. Either this or, as you have suggested, providing a sane preselection for each type.

#382 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 03:36 PM

Based on Miloch's suggestion to preconfigure the list of resource types for the "Find references" feature, I have assembled preselection lists for each resource type. This is what I have come up with so far:

Available resource types to search:
ARE, BCS, CHR, CHU, CRE, DLG, EFF, GAM, ITM, PRO, SAV, SPL, STO, VEF, VVC, WED, WMP

Preselected resource types:
ARE: BCS, DLG, GAM, WMP
BAM: ARE, BCS, CHR, CHU, CRE, DLG, EFF, GAM, ITM, PRO, SPL, VEF, VVC, WMP
BMP: ARE, BCS, CHR, CHU, CRE, DLG, EFF, GAM, ITM, PRO, SPL, VEF, VVC
CHR: none
CHU: none
CRE: ARE, BCS, DLG, EFF, GAM, ITM, SPL
DLG: BCS, CHR, CRE, DLG, GAM
EFF: CHR, CRE, EFF, GAM, ITM, SPL
FNT: CHU
ITM: ARE, BCS, CHR, CRE, DLG, EFF, GAM, ITM, SPL, STO
MOS: ARE, BCS, CHU, DLG, WMP
MVE/WBM: ARE, BCS, CHR, CRE, DLG, EFF, GAM, ITM, SPL
PRO: ARE, CHR, CRE, EFF, GAM, ITM, SPL
PVRZ: BAM, MOS, TIS
SPL: ARE, BCS, CHR, CRE, DLG, EFF, GAM, ITM, SPL
SRC (PS:T only): none
STO: BCS, DLG
TIS: WED
VVC: ARE, BCS, DLG, EFF, GAM, ITM, PRO, SPL, VEF, VVC
WAV: ARE, BCS, CHR, CRE, DLG, EFF, GAM, ITM, PRO, SPL, VEF, VVC
WED: ARE
WFX: none
WMP: BCS, DLG

Did I forget something?

The resource types CHR, CHU, SRC (PS:T version) and WFX don't seem to be referenced by any kind of resource. Can anyone confirm?

Edited by Argent77, 28 January 2015 - 08:43 AM.

#383 Crevs Daak

Crevs Daak

me orc duh duh

• 88 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 05:51 PM

What about IwD's .ini files? (they don't seem to be included in the the text search either). The .ini files in IwD:EE have references to .wav formats (most of them, if not all, are related with creature animations I think, since they list sequences and associated sounds with a single animation entry, and have entries like can_lie_down=1), not sure if they have .bam references too (I think not).

#384 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 10:59 PM

Based on Miloch's suggestion to preconfigure the list of resource types for the "Find references" feature, I have assembled preselection lists for each resource type. This is what I have come up with so far:

I usually exclude CHR and SAV as well.

Edited by Mike1072, 27 January 2015 - 11:00 PM.

#385 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 05:24 AM

What about IwD's .ini files? (they don't seem to be included in the the text search either). The .ini files in IwD:EE have references to .wav formats (most of them, if not all, are related with creature animations I think, since they list sequences and associated sounds with a single animation entry, and have entries like can_lie_down=1), not sure if they have .bam references too (I think not).

Good catch. I'll try to include them into the search along with 2DA and IDS. From what I've seen, INI files seem to reference BCS, CRE, WAV, BMP, effects of BAM or VVC type (or both?) and the prefixes of creature animations (which I'll probably not include in the search).

I usually exclude CHR and SAV as well.

Searching SAV resources is somewhat time-consuming, so I agree that it's better to leave them out.

#386 Crevs Daak

Crevs Daak

me orc duh duh

• 88 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 07:43 AM

Good catch. I'll try to include them into the search along with 2DA and IDS. From what I've seen, INI files seem to reference BCS, CRE, WAV, BMP, effects of BAM or VVC type (or both?) and the prefixes of creature animations (which I'll probably not include in the search).

I dunno about the animations (bam bmp vvc), but I think it references .ids entries (under spec = [n.n.nn.n.n] if I'm not mistaken, also in ai_specifics).
Edit: effectively it references .ids entries, as: [ea.general.race.class...]

Also .fnt files have mentions to .bmp and .bam. And .gui mentions .wav ("sound ( gam_69 );") and .bam files, it also has string references (.sql does as well) and it doesn't have a color scheme nor anything (from what I've seen it's weird enough to be left out :P ).
Besides, I just found out IwD:EE has two .vef files, also several mods introduce files of this type (the have mentions to .wav, .bam and .vvc). It would be nice if they're searched for references too.

Edited by Crevs Daak, 28 January 2015 - 07:44 AM.

#387 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 08:41 AM

I dunno about the animations (bam bmp vvc), but I think it references .ids entries (under spec = [n.n.nn.n.n] if I'm not mistaken, also in ai_specifics).
Edit: effectively it references .ids entries, as: [ea.general.race.class...]

Also .fnt files have mentions to .bmp and .bam. And .gui mentions .wav ("sound ( gam_69 );") and .bam files, it also has string references (.sql does as well) and it doesn't have a color scheme nor anything (from what I've seen it's weird enough to be left out :P ).
Besides, I just found out IwD:EE has two .vef files, also several mods introduce files of this type (the have mentions to .wav, .bam and .vvc). It would be nice if they're searched for references too.

I will probably only add a simple text search algorithm for 2DA, IDS and INI types. Anything else is just not feasible.

NI uses a simple dummy viewer for FNT resources (which is purely based on guesswork) since I have no information about the actual FNT format structure. The BMP and BAM fields contain only implicit references for convenience. It looks like FNT files can be referenced in CHU files though.

There is only a single GUI (and two SQL) files in each Enhanced Edition game, so I don't think it's necessary to add them as separate types in the "Find references" dialog.

VEF files are already included in the search for some time.

#388 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 28 January 2015 - 01:55 PM

Looks good to me. I also do not usually include CHR and SAV files in searches, not by default anyway.

IWDEE-style INI files reference WAVs and occasionally BMPs (when a new_palette is specified) and BAMs (shadow and resref), CREs and BCSs. The actual resref of AR*.ini files corresponds to an actual ARE file. The resref of animation .ini files corresponds to a hexadecimal integer in animate/anisnd.ids (without the initial 0x). SQL files are also basically text files that include resource references (offhand, BMP portraits, movies, spells, also strrefs).

There is already a simple text search for 2DAs and IDSs (Search > Text Search >); it would be useful to include INIs there. It would probably be useful to include 2DAs in pretty much any time of resource search. Not sure about IDSs since they contain identifier data not necessarily tied to resources, but there are exceptions (songlist.ids references music folders for example). It would actually be useful to search IDS files for pseudo resources, like grep spell.ids for actual .spl files, but you would need to use a substitution rule (replace the first 1 in 1### with SPPR etc.) so perhaps too complex for the initial cut of this.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#389 Echon

Echon

Planewanker

• 284 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:17 PM

This may not be related directly to NI, but maybe you or someone else knows the answer to this. Anyway, in BG:EE, the SPPRxxC/SPWIxxC icons look like they normally do ingame, but appear quite different when viewed in NI. There seems to be a lot of additional pixels that the game treats as transparent. Would it be possible for NI to display these icons like the game does?

#390 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:44 PM

Are you using the latest NI snapshots? Alpha-blended BAMs should be displayed correctly since NI snapshot 20141217.

#391 Echon

Echon

Planewanker

• 284 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 01:46 PM

Yes, I am using snapshot 20150125.

#392 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:13 PM

Can you show me a screenshot of NI with one of the problematic BAMs? How do the BAM frames look like in a graphics viewer when you export them as PNG (use Export->all frames as graphics)?

#393 Echon

Echon

Planewanker

• 284 posts

Posted 10 February 2015 - 02:17 PM

My mistake. They look fine in NI, and when exported as PNG. I was exporting frames as BMP, however, where they look wrong.

#394 Echon

Echon

Planewanker

• 284 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:40 AM

Actually, there seems to be a bug here. Looking at e.g. Animal Summoning III (sppr602.spl), the c icon looks the way it should. Then I export the frames from the a/b/c icons as PNG, and the BAMs still look right afterwards, but when I return to look at the SPL, the c icon looks weird.

#395 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 02:34 AM

I don't see anything "weird" here, except for some increased brightness in (semi-)transparent pixels which is caused by the way Java handles alpha blending by default. It's not very noticeable in most cases, but I'll fix that eventually.

Can you show me a screenshot of your problem?

#396 Echon

Echon

Planewanker

• 284 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:14 AM

Sure. Here I did what I described in my previous post.

http://www.echon.dk/misc/ni.png

#397 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 09:54 AM

I can't reproduce this issue on my system. My guess is that it might be a compatibility issue between Java and certain video cards or graphics configurations.

Can you try out the attached version of NI? I've changed the BAM display in the SPL view tab to a more compatible (and less efficient) display mode.

Attached File  NI_BAM-fix.zip   2.33MB   195 downloads

#398 Echon

Echon

Planewanker

• 284 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 10:57 AM

I was not able to reproduce the issue with the attached version. However, I did discover something else about this bug on the regular version. If I click on any other SPL, after exporting the frames, and then look at SPPR602, the icon looks the way it should. This bug seems to be so rare that it may not be worth your time.

#399 -Hurricane-

-Hurricane-
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:11 PM

I think I've found a bug with the extended search function. Try this:

- game: BGII:EE
- launch an extended search
- set resource type to ITM
- set filter on equipped effects to "equipped effect 1: 177 to 177"

This should search for all items that have an EFF file attached as a global effect (opcode 177).

However, the resulting list also includes items that don't use opcode 177 as a global effect but as part of their abilities, as long as these items have at least one global effect of any opcode.

#400 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 11 February 2015 - 12:29 PM

Confirmed. I'll try to fix it in the next snapshot.