NearInfinity

• Please log in to reply
1155 replies to this topic

#561 K4thos

K4thos
  • Modder
  • 315 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 05:15 AM

NI currently prints warnings about missing DV in scripts if we are using "Loading" (should be named flags, imo) Actors "Override Script Name" bit in ARE file, which sets DV to spawned creature using what is typed in "Name". I think NI should check areas if they have this flag set and add "Name" into available DV pool if yes. Additional option in Extended Search ARE section would be nice too.

Edited by K4thos, 03 September 2015 - 05:17 AM.

#562 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 08:37 AM

This functionality is already there, but the whole script name cache in NI seems to be buggy as hell. I'll try to fix it in the next release. Actually, the whole script compiler is hopelessly outdated and should be replaced by a more powerful implementation. But such a task is probably as time-consuming as developing NI from scratch.

Btw, you can already search for (actor) names and other stuff in Extended Search by using the "Custom Filters" options.

#563 K4thos

K4thos
  • Modder
  • 315 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:32 AM

please add "None" to DV pool. It's recognisable in game, so NI should not print warnings for it.

Edited by K4thos, 03 September 2015 - 11:37 AM.

#564 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 11:57 AM

Isn't "None" handled the same as any other script name by the games?

#565 K4thos

K4thos
  • Modder
  • 315 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:07 PM

yes it is handled the same. I'm using it to detect if party member is a multi player character.

Edited by K4thos, 03 September 2015 - 01:09 PM.

#566 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 03 September 2015 - 01:36 PM

Unfortunately, removing "None" from NI's blacklist has the side effect that you can open the first available CRE file using "None" as script name in BCS scripts via popup menu, and there are lots of CRE files using it as script name.

Edit: It seems to work when I add it to the ARE/actor script name cache instead. Let's hope it doesn't break something else.

Edited by Argent77, 03 September 2015 - 01:41 PM.

#567 Echon

Echon

Planewanker

• 284 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:37 AM

Using 'find references to this file' for EFFs with SPMONSUM.VVC returns no hits, although it is used in SPWI309.EFF, SPWI407.EFF, etc. I guess it is ignoring resource 2 and 3.

#568 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 08:11 AM

Yes, it's ignoring EFFs Resource 2/3 fields. I can probably add support for them (and possibly more special fields in other resource types), but it should be done on a case-by-case basis. It might also introduce false positives, depending on what is specified in these fields.

#569 K4thos

K4thos
  • Modder
  • 315 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 01:49 AM

I'd like to request one more feature: CRE/BCS file -> find reference to this file -> INI

usefull for searching if the file is referenced in INI spawn code. Used in IWD, IWD2, IWD:EE. Also BG2:EE supports INI files and in future patch, BG:EE will support them too.

It would be also cool if CRE/BCS references could be opened from within INI file, just like in scripts (right mouse button -> open).

#570 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 03:24 AM

I'd like to request one more feature: CRE/BCS file -> find reference to this file -> INI

It shouldn't be too difficult to add this. However, without implementing an INI parser it's possible to see false positives in the results list.

It would be also cool if CRE/BCS references could be opened from within INI file, just like in scripts (right mouse button -> open).

I'm sure it would, but I would have to implement a parser for INI files for such a feature. I don't know when I can find the time to add something like this.

#571 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 16 September 2015 - 03:39 PM

However, without implementing an INI parser it's possible to see false positives in the results list.
But I would argue your point of view with this guestion: How bad would that actually be ? ... as you could check the extra positive hits(files) by simply opening them.
That's a few extra clicks per extra file, while not having the search at all could go to say 1 000 000 clicks if you have to find the thing manually. This is just me thinking ... you are free to ignore this of course, it's your program, and so you get to deside.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#572 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 17 September 2015 - 01:10 AM

I have nothing against it. Actually, implementing it was rather easy. I've just mentioned it as a potential side effect to consider when using INI targets. Btw, the same is true for 2DA targets, which were already implemented some time ago.

#573 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 18 September 2015 - 03:19 PM

Similar to what you did for the dropdowns to read MSCHOOL.2DA, can the same thing be done for the Summon Monsters effect (127)? I'm not sure how to set the enemy/ally for a manually entered custom 2da.

Edited by Fiann of the Silver Hand, 18 September 2015 - 03:20 PM.

#574 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 01:18 AM

What exactly do you want to have changed? The opcode already allows you to specify a custom 2DA in the resource field. There isn't much more I can do unless you know something about this opcode that isn't mentioned in the IESDP.

#575 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 01:32 AM

I guess I'm confused about the role of the enemy/ally designation in the "From 2da file" entry. If a custom 2da is chosen in Resource1, is the EA taken from the CRE file by default? Otherwise, I can't find an explanation for why the ANISUMs and MONSUMs get separate choices.

#576 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 19 September 2015 - 01:56 AM

The monster tables selectable in the Parameter2 field ("From 2DA file") are hardcoded in the game's executable. However, you can still use Param2 to choose the monster's allegiance, even if you specify a custom 2DA. Values 0..4 will summon allied creatures, values 5..9 will summon hostile creatures.

Edited by Argent77, 19 September 2015 - 02:00 AM.

#577 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 20 September 2015 - 12:42 AM

Oh, wow. Good to know. Thank you!

#578 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 25 September 2015 - 08:49 AM

Update: NearInfinity v1.36-20150925

Changes:

• Target type selection of Reference Searcher will be remembered separately for each resource type.
  • CRE's script names are included when searching for resource references.
  • Reference Searcher takes EFF's Resource2 and Resource3 fields into account.
  • Added INI target to Reference Searcher.
  • Script compiler takes overridden CRE script names from ARE/actor structures into account.
  • OR() constructs containing "NextTriggerObject" triggers will be correctly indented in scripts.
  • Added effect entries to ARE projectile trap structures.
  • Added loop detection to DLG tree view when auto-expanding to reduce the number of expanded nodes.
  • Added button to quicksearch of the resource tree for opening resources in a new window.

#579 Fiann of the Silver Hand

Fiann of the Silver Hand
  • 286 posts

Posted 28 September 2015 - 11:33 PM

IESDP says SPL feature block 0x002c is "Unknown", but for certain effects NI shows some options like "Drain HP to caster" and "Does not wake sleepers".  Is there somewhere I can get more information on these?

#580 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 29 September 2015 - 01:48 AM

The field at offset 0x2c (sometimes called 'Special' or 'Parameter 2.5') is mainly used in TobEx and the Enhanced Editions to set additional information for a small number of opcodes. For example, opcode 12 (Damage) uses it for flags, opcode 181 (Disallow item type) uses it for an optional description note and many EE-only opcodes make use of it as well.

This post contains information about EE-specific opcodes. You can also find some information in the opcode descriptions of DLTCEP.