Pool of Radiance maps

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:41 PM

Classic Adventures uses several maps that were taken from the game "Pool of Radiance: Ruins of Myth Drannor" at least as far back as May 2006. I really need to know how they were extracted / how to extract them now. Was someone able to extract/convert the actual game files, or did they only paste together screenshots of the game? Supposedly, they originally came from King Diamond, but he seems to no longer be around to ask, and is rumored to be extremely hard to contact (but I am trying). It has also been suggested that the Bigg may know how he did it...? Do any of his other old team members have any information that would be useful? Any information or assistance ANYONE can give me on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,
Sam.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#2 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 05:47 AM

Those maps were screenshotted and then jiggled in PS to get the correct scale on them. I remember the discussion at the time.

-Y-

#3 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 17 September 2010 - 06:45 AM

Are you sure it was screenshots Yovaneth? They are missing all traces of any animation. If they were screenshots they would have some of the bluemoss grass or the rope ladder in Stillwater still on the maps. It would be impossible to clean up the maps. I think SirBillyBob might have mentioned to me in emails that King Diamond had found a way to extract the maps. (Maybe 3d studio max?) I too remember some of the discussions about the maps. The map he gave us for CA is near perfect. It truly looks like the animations were never there. If we can learn where the maps can be found we have a good chance to extract them and more importantly the key missing animations, like the standing stone.

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#4 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:35 PM

Are you sure it was screenshots Yovaneth? They are missing all traces of any animation. If they were screenshots they would have some of the bluemoss grass or the rope ladder in Stillwater still on the maps. It would be impossible to clean up the maps.

Today I found a way to take screenshots that do not capture the animations or other extra stuff:

WithStuff.jpg WithoutStuff.jpg

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#5 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 17 September 2010 - 07:41 PM

Sam, if you compare the map that KD let us use it seems almost impossible that he used photoshop to clean the images up. His images seem to be missing some trees which had animations attached. Here is the same area that you have screenshotted from his map.

Attached Images

• k.jpg

Longing for the old pen and paper modules of the 70's and 80's. Experience AD&D's greatest adventures using the infinity engine: Visit our homepage at http://classicadventuresmod.com/

#6 King Diamond

King Diamond

Give Me Your Soul...Please

• Modder
  • 1430 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:03 AM

Supposedly, they originally came from King Diamond, but he seems to no longer be around to ask, and is rumored to be extremely hard to contact (but I am trying).

:D

(last update: 02-12-2008)
----------------------------------------------
SoS, v1.13
TDD, v1.12
TS-BP, v6.10
CtB, v1.11
RoT, v2.1
BP Animations Scheme

#7 King Diamond

King Diamond

Give Me Your Soul...Please

• Modder
  • 1430 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:14 AM

Ok, guys... As far as I'm here I'll give you everything I know...

1) There's a C++ sourcecode and the compiled exe in the attachement. It's a PoR map extractor. Anybody who is familiar with C++ could get some logic from there for the discussed task.

2) The extractor produces a set of tiles (don't remeber exact dimensions - possibly 256x256). They are ordinary .jpg's. The rest is up to you - tiles should be merged in some way to produce a full map background. I did that manually in Photoshop for all maps. But it could be automatized by the means of additional coding.

3) PoR map in-game appearance is a mix of background graphics, a set of 3d-animated objects and applied lighting effects. So it's just impossible to produce any decent results via SS-ing....

4) I don't know how to extract PoR 3d-models and where to look for them.   :rolleyes:

Attached Files

Edited by King Diamond, 27 September 2010 - 12:23 AM.

(last update: 02-12-2008)
SoS, v1.13
TDD, v1.12
TS-BP, v6.10
CtB, v1.11
RoT, v2.1
BP Animations Scheme

#8 leahnkain

leahnkain
  • Modder
  • 7658 posts

Donator

Posted 27 September 2010 - 12:41 AM

Thank you so much, this helps a lot.

#9 Gertwenger

Gertwenger
  • 32 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 02:51 AM

Hi! so, how exactly does this extractor work? If anyone can give me a step by step, I'd be very much obliged (I'm a layman when it comes to C++) Thanks in advance!

Mod Contributions:

In-Progress:

Breagar NPC, Devin NPC, Severian NPC, Macholy's Tweak Pack, Sovereign Quest Mod, Derat's Unused Kits.

NPCs:

Chiara NPC, Malthis NPC,Huple NPC,Uldar NPC, Thael NPC, Gloran NPC, Shar-Teel NPC, Lester NPC, Larsha NPC, Avi Maya NPC, Rukrakia NPC, Frenneden NPC, Elvanshalee NPC.

NPC Expansions:

Sarevok Recovery (Expansion) Mod, Garrick Tales Of a Troubadour.

Merchant/Item Mods:

Vendedor Merchant, YL Items.

Kit Mods:

Shadow Ranger Kit, Rune Singer Kit, Blade Singer Kit, Priest of Bhaal Kit, Pirate Kit.

Content/Quest Mods:

Macholy's Living, Nameless Melody Inn, Dawn of Vampirism, Umbra of TROW, Tomoyo and the Underground City, Hidden Adventures, Haendler Mod, Derat's Ogre.

#10 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 07 October 2012 - 11:24 AM

Which maps do you want? I can save you the trouble of doing it yourself. If you really want to do it yourself, I'll figure out how it works again and describe the process here :) .

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#11 Gertwenger

Gertwenger
  • 32 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 06:54 AM

Well... all of them, really:) I need elements from almost each one to make completely "new" backgrounds. Any help would be appreciated.

Mod Contributions:

In-Progress:

Breagar NPC, Devin NPC, Severian NPC, Macholy's Tweak Pack, Sovereign Quest Mod, Derat's Unused Kits.

NPCs:

Chiara NPC, Malthis NPC,Huple NPC,Uldar NPC, Thael NPC, Gloran NPC, Shar-Teel NPC, Lester NPC, Larsha NPC, Avi Maya NPC, Rukrakia NPC, Frenneden NPC, Elvanshalee NPC.

NPC Expansions:

Merchant/Item Mods:

Kit Mods:

Shadow Ranger Kit, Rune Singer Kit, Blade Singer Kit, Priest of Bhaal Kit, Pirate Kit.

Content/Quest Mods:

Macholy's Living, Nameless Melody Inn, Dawn of Vampirism, Umbra of TROW, Tomoyo and the Underground City, Hidden Adventures, Haendler Mod, Derat's Ogre.

#12 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 10:45 AM

Here is PoR Areas (Full Sized - 100%).rar. Beware a large file size of 1.49GB! This should contain all of the areas in the game at the original size (proportionally much larger than the areas in BG), reconstructed as accurately as I could. It took alot of work... Give me a couple of days and I'll dig out my old computer and upload all of the "tiles" that the dungeon areas are composed of. They can be arranged to create custom dungeons quite easily :) .

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#13 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 01:30 PM

Here is PoR Areas (Full Sized - 100%).rar. Beware a large file size of 1.49GB! This should contain all of the areas in the game at the original size (proportionally much larger than the areas in BG), reconstructed as accurately as I could. It took alot of work... Give me a couple of days and I'll dig out my old computer and upload all of the "tiles" that the dungeon areas are composed of. They can be arranged to create custom dungeons quite easily :) .

I'm getting an error out of your page, but wow, that's a lot of work you took upon. Thanks.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#14 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 11 October 2012 - 03:06 PM

I'm getting an error out of your page, but wow, that's a lot of work you took upon. Thanks.

Yeah, you guys killed my dropbox :P :

Hi Sam,

This email is an automated notification from Dropbox that your Public links have been temporarily suspended for generating excessive traffic. Your Dropbox will continue to function normally with the exception of Public links.

This suspension is temporary (3 days for the first time).

Please visit Dropbox support if you have any questions.

- The Dropbox Team

I'll see if K'aeloree can arrange for me to upload it to the ftp server...

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#15 Gertwenger

Gertwenger
  • 32 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 05:17 AM

Yup, 404, and thanks, again in advance! I can only imagine how hard it was to do all that! uhhh completely off topic, but I haven't gotten a reply elsewhere... I've translated an NPC mod, what do I do with the .tra files? The mod creator is not active, i think...

Mod Contributions:

In-Progress:

NPCs:

NPC Expansions:

Merchant/Item Mods:

Kit Mods:

Content/Quest Mods:

#16 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 12 October 2012 - 07:27 AM

@Sam. - very cool!

@Gertwenger - which mod is it? If it's one hosted here, you should be able to post the .tra files in the mod's thread and someone should eventually incorporate them (same goes if it's on another site too, I suppose).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#17 Gertwenger

Gertwenger
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:18 AM

Any luck??

Mod Contributions:

In-Progress:

NPCs:

NPC Expansions:

Merchant/Item Mods:

Kit Mods:

Content/Quest Mods:

#18 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1292 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:05 AM

Unfortunately K'aeloree has not responded to my PM and I have nowhere else to upload a file of that size... If worse comes to worse, I guess I'll try to upload them here one at a time.

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#19 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 07:14 AM

Unfortunately K'aeloree has not responded to my PM and I have nowhere else to upload a file of that size... If worse comes to worse, I guess I'll try to upload them here one at a time.

WinRAR can portion the whole package to smaller sizes.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#20 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 16 October 2012 - 01:05 PM

Ok I'm the one of those lucky enough to grab this archive before d/load was disabled (the work is incredible, thanks Sam!), so I'm all for sharing it back, but have no idea where to upload file this big. Should I perhaps create TPB torrent or share it on eMule?

Edited by Creepin, 16 October 2012 - 01:06 PM.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)