Photo

Notes, Oddities and Possible Bugs in My BWP Game (Spoilers)

• Please log in to reply
1094 replies to this topic

#1061 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:41 PM

shuuuuut uuuuuuppp.

#1062 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 04:48 PM

2. It is my firm belief that tablets, mobile phones and the like touchscreen devices are historically the platform for the lamest form of gaming. You know how PC is so much better than the console? Well tablets are to the same amount worse than consoles which places them at below pariah level of gaming: a tool for housewives and morons, whose brain capacity only good for playing games with "assemble 3 balls of same colour" level of depth. Bringing BG to such platforms was nothing but an utter insult to BG, which, being deep enough game, deserves to be played only on PC - only by true hardcore gamers.
3. Beamdog sports some staff I really despise - SJWs, feminists, that kind of. Not only it allowed them to ruin new addon though and through, with all that transgenders and good goblins forced tolerance crap, but I've heard rumors they also desecrated original content by making Safana "more feminist" or some shit like that and where's guarantee they haven't done something else to the original which went unnoticed so far? This modern retarded brainwash is the last thing I'm looking to have stuffed down my throat when playing my favourite game which thrived without any of it for decades.

This is the most retarded shit I've ever read in my life and I hope you bit off your own fingers after typing this out.

#1063 Artemius I

Artemius I
  • Modder
  • 48 posts

Posted 06 January 2017 - 05:24 PM

What the elitists seem to not understand is that they themselves are the ones that had the biggest hand in killing vanilla-BG modding. Why should we, the ones that find the EE a more malleable engine to work with, give a damn anymore about vanilla when its most vocal supporters (again, read: elitists) clearly don't appreciate us in any way?

"Hmm, mention of a mod I never heard of, don't care, must be for EE anyway. Look, few more posts in BWS thread... about EE, ignore, about EE, ignore, about EE, ignore, dang, no new posts at all!"

Comments like this are why I can't bring myself to give a damn about backwards compatibility anymore. I just say, "don't care, find someone else to do it for you." What's the point, really? Why am I even here talking about this? There's no value to be had in this discussion at all.

My major projects:

NPCs: Sirene (BG:EE | BG2:EE), Drake (BG:EE), Aura (BG:EE), Pai'Na (BG2:EE)

Kits: The Artisan's Kitpack, Bardic Wonders, Warlock, Shadow Magic

Tweaks: Artemius' House Tweaks

In-progress: Aura BG2, Drake BG2, The Fallen Light, Shadow Magic: Thultanthar

A comprehensive list of my mods

The Artisan's Corner (my personal mod site)

#1064 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:54 AM

Srsly. My motivation to make mods backwards-compatible really dries up when the people who benefit from my efforts go around bad-mouthing me. Across the internet. From the comfort of their basement apartment, with their "Srius Gamrz Only!!" flag draped poetically across their oh-so-burdened shoulders.

I have a simple rule: put up or shut up.

#1065 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:02 AM

I want to clarify that BWS is not prioritizing EE mods over classic. BWS is reactive to updates in the modding community. There have been more updates on the EE side lately, which are reflected in BWS. No favoritism is implied.

There is still good work being done for classic too, mostly in the Fixpack. Unfortunately the problems that haven't already been fixed for classic mods tend to be large and time-consuming (basically rewriting large chunks of old mod installation code to improve compatibility), so you aren't seeing the same frequency of updates, but it is definitely untrue to claim that classic is being neglected.

Modding takes a lot of effort. Let's appreciate all modders' contributions, as nothing forces us to use any particular mod in our own games.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#1066 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1676 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 09:04 AM

What the elitists seem to not understand is that they themselves are the ones that had the biggest hand in killing vanilla-BG modding. Why should we, the ones that find the EE a more malleable engine to work with, give a damn anymore about vanilla when its most vocal supporters (again, read: elitists) clearly don't appreciate us in any way?

By all means, you're welcome to ignore vanilla to your heart content. But, you saying I have no right to prefer a certain thing over an other thing, really? Do I need to describe what you should done with an opinion as retarded as this? Newfags, meh.

This is the most retarded shit I've ever read in my life and I hope you bit off your own fingers after typing this out.

Ahh, thank you for proving me being correct.

I have a simple rule: put up or shut up.

It's funny how we have the same proverb in our country, something like "at first achieve (at least such level) yourself". The proverb mainly used to mock those morons who believe one have no right to say the food is unsavoury unless he is chef himself, or say the book is dull unless he is writer himself, or even say the mod suck unless he is established modder himself, if you get my drift. Now I am not implying you are one of such morons, but do you really want to look like one? Also, aren't you the one here waving his oh so precious motivation like a flag?

Edited by Creepin, 07 January 2017 - 09:32 AM.

The Old Gold - v0.2 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#1067 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 02:13 PM

Ahh, thank you for proving me being correct.

db0.jpg

#1068 subtledoctor

subtledoctor
  • Modder
  • 656 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 04:11 PM

"It's funny how we have the same proverb in our country, something like "at first achieve (at least such level) yourself". The proverb mainly used to mock those morons who believe one have no right to say the food is unsavoury unless he is chef himself, or say the book is dull unless he is writer himself, or even say the mod suck unless he is established modder himself, if you get my drift."

That's not what I meant. "Put up or shut up" has two meanings.
1. Don't complain about a thing if you're not willing to take steps to improve the situation.
2. Don't use fighting words if you're not ready to fight.

I was leaning toward the 2nd meaning (although the 1st is somewhat relevant as well). On the internet, nobody is ready to actually fight, because we are all thousanfs of miles away from each other. Therefore, to use fighting words is an inherently cowardly thing. Since fighting is an impossibility, and none of us wants to act like a coward, we should all avoid such language and just speak civilly to each other.

More specifically on topic, you are more than welcome to criticize my mods (especially if it's in the spirit of improvement). My critics have helped me to produce better stuff! But don't criticize modders for modding. That's both illogical and trollish. Be specific with your judgments, or save them.

Edited by subtledoctor, 07 January 2017 - 04:14 PM.

#1069 GrimLefourbe

GrimLefourbe
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 January 2017 - 06:24 PM

Just for the record, fighting over disagreements is just as stupid IRL as it is online :whistling:

Nobody has ever won argument by throwing insults and assumptions at others, whether online or not.

#1070 Vlad

Vlad
  • 577 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 04:37 PM

:crazy:

Enhanced Edition is just a trend plus it is a job and money for many members of this community.

I tried to play Enhanced Edition. It is absolutely unbearable graphically. Instead of nicely integrated animations (avatars), you have stickers moving across the screen filled with very very small details. For smooth playing of the EE versions, I would probably need to order the brightening and magnifying glasses. New content created over the original BG2-ToB is laughable at the best. It may be good for those stubborns who always played the vanilla game and never installed mods because of the erroneous and widely-spread opinion that mods create bugs in the game. Those who installed and played the game with good mods would surely laugh on how miserable and low quality are additions introduced in the EE versions.

Really guys, the first time I agree with her - stop that. There is nothing to argue. It is clear and obvious that EE versions are nothing to add compared to the original games + mods. So those who still advocate the EE versions are either have gotten shares in this kind of activity or just never played the original games with good mods. Ah, and there is a third group who advocates the EE versions just because they like this kind of forum trolling.  :clap:

#1071 Artemius I

Artemius I
  • Modder
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 05:06 PM

If you really wanted people to stop arguing then maybe you shouldn't have revived this cesspool of a thread...

My major projects:

NPCs: Sirene (BG:EE | BG2:EE), Drake (BG:EE), Aura (BG:EE), Pai'Na (BG2:EE)

Kits: The Artisan's Kitpack, Bardic Wonders, Warlock, Shadow Magic

Tweaks: Artemius' House Tweaks

In-progress: Aura BG2, Drake BG2, The Fallen Light, Shadow Magic: Thultanthar

A comprehensive list of my mods

The Artisan's Corner (my personal mod site)

#1072 Nightfarer

Nightfarer
  • 480 posts

Posted 24 February 2017 - 10:55 PM

If you really wanted people to stop arguing then maybe you shouldn't have revived this cesspool of a thread...

And you should not call this thread cesspool, to begin with...

See... that's the way shit goes on... Don't agree with Vlad, Micbaldur, Creepin and me? Anyone is entitled to have an opinion but throwing offences (calling the thread cesspool) is not very mature.

#1073 Cahir

Cahir
  • Modder
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:32 AM

Nah, the topic is just fine, loads of cool stuff in here. It's just calling people, who prefer to play EE's these days, morons is not very mature.

Edited by Cahir, 25 February 2017 - 12:33 AM.

#1074 Nightfarer

Nightfarer
  • 480 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 12:45 AM

Sure Cahir, the thread is fine, I never blamed it and I am not going to blame it for sure.

It is just very annoying and irritating seeing someone who just calls the thread cesspool because he likes to play EEs while others might have a different idea and opinion.

Edited by Nightfarer, 25 February 2017 - 12:46 AM.

#1075 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:36 AM

Sure Cahir, the thread is fine, I never blamed it and I am not going to blame it for sure.

It is just very annoying and irritating seeing someone who just calls the thread cesspool because he likes to play EEs while others might have a different idea and opinion.

Maybe you should scroll up a bit and read some posts just to see who started calling everyone modding EE an eediot and worse.

Just before you start to defend the wrong people and accuse others who do not deserve it.

Unless. of, course, you like to join their company.

I have played and modded BGT for a decade and supported bugfixing on a large scale. Moving stuff into EET is also a big chance to debug and enhance a large number of the old mods (especially by people with a good knowledge of both games) - such fixes could be fed back into the old game BUT such flamethrowers prevent it - so I just fix it for EE now and let the rest enjoy their status quo. Why even care? Why should I fight windmills?

Edited by Roxanne, 25 February 2017 - 01:47 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#1076 Nightfarer

Nightfarer
  • 480 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 01:46 AM

That does not mean one should reply with another offence, right? It is not very mature at all... it does not matter who began...

Why should one call a thread cesspool, in any case? Do you approve that reply? Me no, not at all.

And while I don't like EEs (so, yes, I side with Micbaldur and the others)... I have no big deals with those playing them

EDIT: to the add you wrote...

I think that it is a modder's choice supporting one or the other or both... My personal idea is that both should be supported but anyway it is a personal feeling.

Me too, for some utility mods, I don't support EE but when AGB1 asked me if he could turn them a bit to support the EEs and EET, I said him no issues on my side.

A community and discussions should be constructive...

So, as you can see, while I side with Micbaldur, Creepin, Cahir and the others... I have no big deals with those playing EEs...

EDIT II... and what I said was referred to him simply because he wrote an unneeeded post only to say the thread is a cesspool...

and it does not sound to be very mature

Edited by Nightfarer, 25 February 2017 - 02:03 AM.

#1077 Ikki

Ikki
  • Validating
  • 123 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 02:46 AM

Even if I like to play EET from Kathos, i understand the grief that some poeple could have with the EE studio.

Particulary Vlad resentment : he has donne alone a very good conversion of icewind dale with NEJ, and for free ...

But that don't make the EE bad : it has a lot of improvement in the engine, even if  some inapprehensible bug appeared

#1078 Nightfarer

Nightfarer
  • 480 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:18 AM

Hi Ikki.

I don't feel grief about that... there are some other historical games re-built using new engines and technologies (as an example: Age of Empires II vs. Age of Empires II HD, Half-Life vs. Black Mesa, and so on)...

There is also the Baldur's Gate into NWN project too...

If you buy the EE editions of Baldur's Gate and Baldur's Gate II on GOG, they give you the code to download the classic editions too.

So classic versions are not dead just because of EEs... they are still with us... and that's the reason that both should be supported, IMO.

Harsh discussions are not a big deal as well... they can and should lead to understanding both sides... I just find it annoying when someone writes a post that is not needed at all, just to throw an insult (no point of views, no nothing).

While people might agree with Micbaldur etc, others might not... it's life... anyone is entitled to have his/her own opinion, fortunately... this, anyway, does not mean in any way that throwing insults or offences is a valid reply... no matter who began.

I don't say EEs are bad but more a commercial thing... this would also explain the reason you buy them, you got the code to download classic editions for free.

sure, the new engine probably works better and has enhancements... what I wonder is: why not releasing the classic editions without any new content then?

or simply release a free update for classic editions with enhancements etc rather them taking them out to buy but giving them for free buying EEs.

The scope of community, threads and discussions should be to talk, fix bugs, etc... understanding both views

#1079 Cahir

Cahir
  • Modder
  • 133 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 03:42 AM

So, as you can see, while I side with Micbaldur, Creepin, Cahir and the others... I have no big deals with those playing EEs...

Fixed that for you 8)

Anyway I'm all supportive to improve both EE and vanilla versions of the mods, but it is not an easy task especially when the only way to add some cool stuff is to use EE-exclusive opcode, function or other unhardcoded bit of code. So, I totally understand modders who do not wish to spend the little free time they have for modding to figuring out how to implement to vanilla something that it's not easily implementable.

EDIT: And there are still bunch of modders left who supports both engines, even if they feel EE engine is far more superior. They do it out of respect for players such as micbaldur and Creepin, so they could also take advantage of new fixes or features added. On the other hand there are also modders who don't want to mod for EE's. And that's fine too, it's they right to do, even if it saddens me that I will not play some great mods (mostly Vlad's work). 

There is a Polish project called The World of Baldur's Gate (or WoBG) which is basically a gigantic megainstallation (with fixed set of mods) with his own installer, targeted for the Polish players who don't want to be bother to use BWP or BWS, want to play only in Polish and get most out of the Forgotten Realms setting. It's author Dradiel did a terrific job (implementing both IWD and IWD2 to it) even if this installer would only be of a use to Polish players. It has a bunch of vocal supporters on Polish site CoB (Children of Bhaal) and is a masterpiece really. But... it's not the solution for me, because it doesn't support EE (yet, ever, who knows?) and has a fixed set of mods implemented, some not fitting my tastes). Even then I really appreciate that Polish vanilla engine supporters have this wonderful gem for their disposal. Especially since some supporters started a campaign to gather voice actors to record a Polish voiceovers for all mods in the WoBG!

EE engine supporters have their EET installation, vanilla engine supporters have their BWP (or BWS) installers and I think everyone can find their niche in IE modding scene. 

Edited by Cahir, 25 February 2017 - 04:05 AM.

#1080 Nightfarer

Nightfarer
  • 480 posts

Posted 25 February 2017 - 04:01 AM

Hi Cahir.

Ah right, sorry about that :new_thumbs:

Yeah, this is true, not saying the opposite. Not always easy and not always possible to implement new functions etc in old versions.

Yes, it is up to the modder... his/her mod his/her choices.

However using the GAME_IS, one could split what can be ported and what is difficult, impossible etc to port. Sure, it takes extra time and work... but why not?

I hope you see what I mean now... a constructive discussion is always welcomed :) and both sides can get something new to discover or enjoy :)

Edited by Nightfarer, 25 February 2017 - 04:04 AM.