17 replies to this topic

#1 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:47 AM

Hi guys and gals,

We're temporarily trialing some ads in the DM to help cover the increasingly high server costs. We will not be putting ads on the forums or the website, because, well, I hate ads, but this is getting to be an expensive hobby for SConrad and I, and it'd be great if it could help keep costs down a little.

We'll keep everyone informed of how the experiment goes, and we're sorry if this inconveniences anyone!

#2 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 02:04 AM

Hmm, would it be possible to place the mod text above the add, instead of the under it ? Or the other alternative is to place the mods name under the add ? It's just a placement... not that actualy bothers so much.
And if ths lowerst the cost, it's all good. :cheers:

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#3 Azazello

Azazello

The Anti-Spammer

• Staff
  • 1912 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:56 AM

We're temporarily trialing some ads in the DM to help cover the increasingly high server costs.

ok, I fell silly asking but what's the 'DM'?

#4 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 03 December 2012 - 06:59 AM

ok, I fell silly asking but what's the 'DM'?

Don't be, it's the Download Manager, like... it took me more than a while to put those words together. :D

#5 fitscotgaymer

fitscotgaymer
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:28 AM

I don't mind ads so much as long as they aren't massively intrusive ones like made the rounds on the internet for a while there.

Ya know the ones that cause full audio and videos onto your page/screen? A webpage loudly screaming at you to get Finish Dishwasher Tabs, or Buy CoDBlOps2?

Eugh.

I hate those kind of ads.
"Superior training and superior weaponry have, when taken together, a geometric effect on overall military strength. Well-trained, well-equipped troops can stand up to many more times their lesser brethren than linear arithmetic would seem to indicate." -- Colonel Corazon Santiago, Spartan Battle Manual : SMAC

#6 Bartimaeus

Bartimaeus

Drama Queen

• 132 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 02:55 PM

I don't have any sort of adblocker, (Opera user), but I don't see any ads in the general download manager nor on specific files within the download manager...where are they supposed to appear? :huh:

#7 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 03:25 PM

Definitely should be appearing on specific files; what version of Opera are you running?

#8 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 08:05 PM

I don't mind ads so much as long as they aren't massively intrusive ones like made the rounds on the internet for a while there.

Ya know the ones that cause full audio and videos onto your page/screen? A webpage loudly screaming at you to get Finish Dishwasher Tabs, or Buy CoDBlOps2?

Eugh.

I hate those kind of ads.

Doesn't appear to be any of those ads, just checked a few pages a moment ago. Just one issue I could think of that might be a problem for anyone who doesn't notice the actual bar: ads that display a download bar far more prominently than the actual button. I might be over-thinking that one though.

Other than that trickster, it looks good, guys! :)

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#9 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:37 AM

Haven't seen any of the ads yet. If it matters, my Web browser of choice is Camino, under Mac OS X Tiger.

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#10 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

• 10911 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 01:26 PM

Haven't seen any of the ads yet. If it matters, my Web browser of choice is Camino, under Mac OS X Tiger.

Sure about that ? Cause I see this in the previous link, the adds in the red highlights:
Posted Image

#11 -sweetdeath-

-sweetdeath-

Posted 18 December 2012 - 01:53 PM

Hi
Maybe is possible include some specific products in tavern like beers or cokes (maybe food too)? Maybe create a mini mod with cherries... i dont know to get some support from these companies... as BG is back with EE... or is not possible?
Regards,

#12 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 02:26 PM

I applied for hosting here with Banana but the admins were very rude about it.
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#13 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:05 PM

If you guys aren't seeing any ads, good for you. They're there and they're working, so I wouldn't be too concerned if you don't see anything: just enjoy it! ;)

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#14 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

I applied for hosting here with Banana but the admins were very rude about it.

Heh. Too unbalanced?

I don't see any ads either. (<- as if I would complain about that)

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#15 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:14 PM

We felt it was a little too yellow and mushy for our tastes.

#16 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:18 PM

Perhaps if it were remade into Banana Bread...

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#17 theacefes

theacefes

Probably swearing

• Modder
  • 1782 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 07:55 PM

Oh god...no.
DO ~SetGlobal("omgBbqRomanceActive","GLOBAL", 2)~

Gibberlings Three - IE Modding Community

#18 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:56 PM

I don't know if you even care, seeing as it is such a small demographic, but on my BlackBerry Bold 9930 v7.1.0 Bundle 2123 using the BlackBerry Browser, the ads overlap each other. Figured I'd mention it :) .

Attached File  AdsScrnShot.rar   458.07K   214 downloads

(Screenshots archived because uploader won't let me upload .jpg screenshots...)

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage