Photo

Sandrah Saga for EET (Bug and Support Forum)

EET Mega Mod

• Please log in to reply
1095 replies to this topic

#41 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 07:20 AM

ACTION_IF (MOD_IS_INSTALLED ~setup-gavin.tp2~ ~1~) BEGIN // compile Gavin romance crossmod END
would work here.  I think it's safe to assume that an NPC mod will enforce dependency among its own components, so if you check for the component that adds the dialogue you are patching, it should work in all cases (if not, it is the fault of the other mod and the mistake of the player who skipped the core of the mod in question).  BWS also usually enforces dependency rules of later components that rely on a main component.

Of course if another mod with which you want to apply cross-mod changes its structure on a new version, you will have a compatibility problem.  I don't think that is very common, but to prevent the possibility of errors like that halting installation of the rest of your mod, you can use WeiDU's ACTION_TRY or PATCH_TRY (scroll to the bottom of the linked section, as the upper part covers MATCH, while TRY is discussed below).

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

Latest version:    https://bitbucket.or.../get/master.zip

#42 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:40 AM

ACTION_IF (MOD_IS_INSTALLED ~setup-gavin.tp2~ ~1~) BEGIN // compile Gavin romance crossmod END
would work here.  I think it's safe to assume that an NPC mod will enforce dependency among its own components, so if you check for the component that adds the dialogue you are patching, it should work in all cases (if not, it is the fault of the other mod and the mistake of the player who skipped the core of the mod in question).  BWS also usually enforces dependency rules of later components that rely on a main component.

This may indeed cover a lot of cases, even if it will require some cumbersome analysis for a lot of mods to find which component I really need. It may also lead to misunderstandings when I claim to have contents for a specific NPC but it does not appear in game because a component was not there and thus it was skipped as a whole.

Nothing is perfect - but there is a chance to make the installation more robust - I will make my decisions on a case-to-case basis. This may take some time to develop and even more time to test.

Of course if another mod with which you want to apply cross-mod changes its structure on a new version, you will have a compatibility problem.  I don't think that is very common, but to prevent the possibility of errors like that halting installation of the rest of your mod, you can use WeiDU's ACTION_TRY or PATCH_TRY (scroll to the bottom of the linked section, as the upper part covers MATCH, while TRY is discussed below).

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#43 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:55 AM

agb1, on 08 Dec 2016 - 16:20, said:snapback.png

would work here.

Too bad - there is a little problem with checking the presence of mods this way.

A number of mods (e.g. Gavin, or BG1NPCs) are installed in BGEE part

So Sandrah checking for them during her BG2EE install fails always - unless there is some way to take the WeiDU-BGEE.log into account as well?

Edited by Roxanne, 08 December 2016 - 08:56 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#44 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:39 AM

Ah, forgot about that, sorry!  See here.  You can also replace [0-9]+ in the example with the specific component number, e.g., #1 in this case.  Disregard that, the #[0-9]+ is for the language, which you probably do want to leave as a wildcard.  Change the following component number (#0 in example) to #1 in this case.

Edited by agb1, 08 December 2016 - 09:42 AM.

BiG World Fixpack (community collection of mod fixes and compatibility patches, with user-friendly cross-platform script)

BiG World Setup (tool to automate best-practice installation of Infinity Engine mods on Windows, with conflict analysis)

#45 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:26 AM

Ah, forgot about that, sorry!  See here.  You can also replace [0-9]+ in the example with the specific component number, e.g., #1 in this case.  Disregard that, the #[0-9]+ is for the language, which you probably do want to leave as a wildcard.  Change the following component number (#0 in example) to #1 in this case.

That works perfectly!!

Just for fun - did you see the author's own note below his code? (k4thos did consider a lot but not all the power his brainchild EET really has.)

Overall this workaround doesn't sound like a very useful thing because BG:EE mods usually don't affect BG2:EE content,

Edited by Roxanne, 08 December 2016 - 10:27 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#46 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:27 AM

Yes, that was amusing to me too.

#47 -Lightbringer-

-Lightbringer-

Posted 08 December 2016 - 04:06 PM

Ok Mea Culpas all around.  Silly Lightbringer is still learning how to properly use BWS :P

In my first time using BWS to install Sandrah, I didn't explore all the expanded nodes with the mods I selected.  It turns out the Isra mod had two subnodes that installed crossmod content for Valerie and Gavin.  I had selected the entire Isra mod without looking at the sub-components.  Naturally, Isra then looked for Gavin to be installed because I apparently asked it to do so.  Then everything spiraled out from there.

It was complete I-D Ten T, PICNIC (Problem In Chair, Not In Computer), and User Error.  :blush:

Nothing to see here.  Move along! :whistling:

#48 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 10:39 PM

Ok Mea Culpas all around.  Silly Lightbringer is still learning how to properly use BWS :P

In my first time using BWS to install Sandrah, I didn't explore all the expanded nodes with the mods I selected.  It turns out the Isra mod had two subnodes that installed crossmod content for Valerie and Gavin.  I had selected the entire Isra mod without looking at the sub-components.  Naturally, Isra then looked for Gavin to be installed because I apparently asked it to do so.  Then everything spiraled out from there.

It was complete I-D Ten T, PICNIC (Problem In Chair, Not In Computer), and User Error.  :blush:

Nothing to see here.  Move along! :whistling:

Someone always must volunteer to make the errors for others to avoid . In the end it helped to make the mod install and also BWS more robust.

Edited by Roxanne, 08 December 2016 - 10:44 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#49 zonx

zonx
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:31 PM

I ran a EET test install and SandrahNPC hit an error.

Spoiler

Attached Files

#50 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:53 PM

I ran a EET test install and SandrahNPC hit an error.

Spoiler

You attached your WEIDU.log but the information needed would be in WeiDU-BGEE.log. I assume it is a missing component from BG1NPCs

probably ~BG1NPC/BG1NPC.TP2~ 0 16.

I am currently working on an improvement for the install to check for such required subcompomemts instead of a global check for a mod that may not be fully installed.

You may want to check either your WeiDU-BGEE.log or the WEIDU.log in your BGEE game for the entry above.

The Sandrah Saga

#51 zonx

zonx
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 01:58 PM

Yes you are spot on, no #16 component for bg1npc (as attached). Maybe agb1 can add it as required for sandrach npc?

I am still playing around with test installs with the out of memory issue, so must have unselected it, it's all good.

Attached Files

#52 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:14 PM

Yes you are spot on, no #16 component for bg1npc (as attached). Maybe agb1 can add it as required for sandrach npc?

I am still playing around with test installs with the out of memory issue, so must have unselected it, it's all good.

This is a bit of a weird situation now with EET - (as we have discovered just recently in a similar case for GavinNPC). The mods are installed in both BGEE and BG2EE, and probably Sandrah is being the first mod until now that needs to check for mods in both parts to be present, some of my checks for required contents are no longer appropriate.

Spoiler

Anyway - BWS is far better to detect such dependecies than the mod itself, because by the time you install Sandrah it makes little sense to tell you that you should have done something else some hours ago. I mention it clearly in the readme, but we all know what this is worth...

I had considered to make this component optional (i.e the component.to extend the possibility for sending NPCs to an inn to wait by adding additional places from the Sandrah areas). I had decided against this to be optional because it is quite unrealistic for Sandrah's later chapters to send a companion e.g. all the way from Thay to FAI to wait for you with quite some difficulties for you to go there to pick him/her up again.

Edited by Roxanne, 09 December 2016 - 02:22 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#53 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 02:53 PM

These additional checks are now made for required crossmod subcomponents by SandrahNOC.tp2

Spoiler

Also Gavin mod is checked for required subcomponent.

The Sandrah Saga

#54 agb1

agb1
  • 1623 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 03:11 PM

I've updated Sandrah's dependency rule:

Sandrah cannot be installed without these mods=D:SandrahNPC(-):DrizztSaga(-)&bg1npc(0&1&9&10&11&12&13&14&15&16)&DSotSC(-)&NTotSC(-)&Ascension(-)&TDDz(-)&TGC1E(-)&SirinesCall(-)

#55 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 10:30 PM

I've updated Sandrah's dependency rule:

Sandrah cannot be installed without these mods=D:SandrahNPC(-):DrizztSaga(-)&bg1npc(0&1&9&10&11&12&13&14&15&16)&DSotSC(-)&NTotSC(-)&Ascension(-)&TDDz(-)&TGC1E(-)&SirinesCall(-)

I have put similar checks for individual components into tp2 where necessary, using code to also check for BGEE required mod components, for all those not using BWS.

Edited by Roxanne, 09 December 2016 - 11:36 PM.

The Sandrah Saga

#56 zonx

zonx
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:06 AM

Hi I restarted my EET game (again) and have ran into two issues in waterdeep. 

1. valerie in party causes the game to lock up on this dialogue (I killed her while testing the issue in this screenshot). The freeze happens after viconia says her line and then presumably valerie has her say but game locks. With her dead the convo completes semi-OK... with her dead and still in party the convo doesn't seem to complete (it repeats if I talk to him again). kicked her out briefly and was able to get the convo to complete as expected.

2. crash on entering these sewers. on my previous playthrough I had the same crash. so i had this crash across two installs but with fairly similar mods installed.

weidu logs attached

Attached Files

#57 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:57 AM

Hi I restarted my EET game (again) and have ran into two issues in waterdeep. 

1. valerie in party causes the game to lock up on this dialogue (I killed her while testing the issue in this screenshot). The freeze happens after viconia says her line and then presumably valerie has her say but game locks. With her dead the convo completes semi-OK... with her dead and still in party the convo doesn't seem to complete (it repeats if I talk to him again). kicked her out briefly and was able to get the convo to complete as expected.

2. crash on entering these sewers. on my previous playthrough I had the same crash. so i had this crash across two installs but with fairly similar mods installed.

weidu logs attached

In deed

I found the issue for 1. There is a typo in her inteject to this dialog where the o in cowled is some symbol - ~ My cowled teachers would tremble when facing this legendary master. In company other than my present one, I would tremble too, I guess.~

If you are able to correct this (using NI) in your game you should resolve the issue - otherwise sorry for that (I just wonder why it worked in my last playthrough with Valerie?).

I think I have an idea about 2. as well. I will prepare a small patch for you to try. Just 20 minutes.

Edited by Roxanne, 14 December 2016 - 09:22 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

#58 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 09:37 AM

Please try this patch (extract and install like any mod in your BG2EE folder)

Attached File  SandrahSF.zip   870.77K   421 downloads

The Sandrah Saga

#59 zonx

zonx
  • 93 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 12:53 PM

Sweet thanks for the sewer patch, that fixed it up!

#60 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 14 December 2016 - 01:32 PM

Sweet thanks for the sewer patch, that fixed it up!

It is up to me to say thanks - two bugs less now in the mod (the sewer used some bandits that were not among the resources I made checks for and I did not notice because I always have the respective mod installed.)

The Sandrah Saga