Photo

Clerics get their deity colours

• Please log in to reply
94 replies to this topic

#61 Demivrgvs

Demivrgvs
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:07 PM

[quote name='Miloch' date='21 July 2010 - 12:09 AM' timestamp='1279663791' post='492633']
[quote name='Demivrgvs' date='20 July 2010 - 11:29 AM' timestamp='1279621747' post='492583'][quote]I'm fixing Valygar's armor color palette with IR too.[/quote]By patching it, I trust? :P Do you have a component number for that? I might shuffle it in too, but I can skip it if your component or aTweaks' is installed.[/quote]No need to skip, I'm not adding the portrait myself, I'm simply fixing the color palette to match the icon, though I do it in a slightly different way: same armor color (60), but the belt is set to look golden-like (25) as per icon, and I also set minor and major colors of the wearer to gold-like (25) and dark-blue (18) respectively.

#62 Tonton Fred

Tonton Fred
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:21 PM

Good enough? Should still be close to his cloak icon, though that is even brighter I think.

Perfect, thanks !

#63 RYUchan

RYUchan
  • 99 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:53 AM

Also, does anyone know where this Viconia portrait is from? I had it in with my edits from a couple years back, but I don't think it's mine... I don't remember removing the headband anyway.

Wow nice cloak and fastener colors(though the face is like of a fantasy dark elf not a drow) if these colors would be applied to your drowish Viconia(even the darkest verstion) it would be perfect she would be more distinguishable, because while in her black cloak her large portrait is superb, her small one is like a black spot.

#64 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

The newly-appointed Master Builder of Baldur's Gate

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 06:05 AM

Is this what you're after? Damn - forgot to recurve the centre strap.

Eh, but you're the one who said the helm was too small for her head and should be wider, and you used the narrower version for your edit... :blink:

I did? Idiot! Well..... skew | scale | skew | distort | rotate | etc. later it's almost right. I just figured that the bronze band around the rim is also causing visual no-nos. It angles slightly in instead of continuing the curve of the helm. The lump of hair at the back of the head is acceptable as hair will spring up that way when it comes out from under a hat.

I'll give her another poke tonight (oo-er!!).

-Y-

#65 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

Wow nice cloak and fastener colors(though the face is like of a fantasy dark elf not a drow)

I vaguely recall someone (Bursk? MajorTomSawyer?) asking me to edit it because it was one pixel smaller on one dimension or something. But it was so long ago I could be thinking of something else maybe. In any case, I can't find any references whatsoever to the portrait or the post it came up on (would've been here, on G3 or possibly CoM I think). I'd like to offer it as an alternative if I could track it down and it's not available elsewhere, but oh well.

if these colors would be applied to your drowish Viconia(even the darkest verstion) it would be perfect she would be more distinguishable, because while in her black cloak her large portrait is superb, her small one is like a black spot.

Well I lightened it just a bit, but I think both small and large look just fine. Even before I did that, though this is the tweaked version:
t-vico1l.jpg t-vico1s.gif
Maybe you didn't resize it properly? Some monitors are a lot darker than others too.

I'll give her another poke tonight (oo-er!!).

Beat you to her! Well I just skewed her quick anyway:
t-shartl.jpg
Maybe you can do a rim job on the helm (oof) but I think I've had enough of this overbearing amazon :D.

Last-minute Safana edit (on left, original on right):
t-safanl.jpg safanal.jpg

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#66 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 12:49 PM

Something weird is happening to Safana's chin in your edit. I like the new colors for her, but her jaw looks a bit funky.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods
TolkienAcrossTheWater website
TolkienAcrossTheWater Forum

#67 --Ipsissimus-

--Ipsissimus-

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:11 PM

I think it's because Safana's chin is quite short and still too wide. It might look better if it was longer and narrower.

#68 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 03:13 PM

The original portrait has a jowly thing going on that is pretty unpleasant, but shortening her chin overall just looks artificial. Or really weak-chinned. Either way, an edit is in order. I'll see if I can repaint.

Edit: How's this?

Attached Images

• post-5803-127974029307.jpg

Edited by berelinde, 21 July 2010 - 03:51 PM.

"Imagination is given to man to console him for what he is not; a sense of humor, for what he is." - Oscar Wilde

berelinde's mods

#69 -Ipsissimus-

-Ipsissimus-

Posted 21 July 2010 - 04:00 PM

I think it's skewed to the right now; in any case it looks somewhat uneven. Could you make it slightly narrower at the bottom?

#70 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 21 July 2010 - 08:59 PM

Here's my 2nd edit of Safana then. I shifted all the facial features a bit, because they didn't really seem in the right proportions to me. The jaw was a bit small so I extended it. When you look at Viconia's chin (for example) it's even smaller, but maybe that's acceptable for elf types. They're an odd lot.
t-safan2.jpg
I can provide berelinde's edit as an alternative if folks want, but it's a bit too close to the original for my liking.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#71 berelinde

berelinde

Troublemaker

• Modder
  • 4916 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:10 AM

Much better. Don't bother with my edit. Yours is better.

berelinde's mods

#72 RYUchan

RYUchan
  • 99 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 02:29 AM

I must admit this Safana looks more feminine than the default one. I always thought that she was sooo not siren's daughter.

EDIT: Btw I wonder why noone ever edited her face tone and colors. Her face always looks like it's dirty. Of course it's BG style but other faces looks way better and cleaner, I mean old Imoen or old Jahiera portraits.

Oh and I wonder what was the idea about shading her right cheek? :)

@Miloch

thanks a lot for new Viccy portrait, I really appreaciate it :)

Edited by RYUchan, 22 July 2010 - 12:54 PM.

#73 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:11 PM

Okay - here she is again. What I've done:

Enlarged the helm slightly for a more comfortable 'fit'.
Moved the horns over her ears.
Moved the nose strap to the correct place and reshaped it.
Tilted the helm to match the brow line and head angle.
Changed the highlights to reflect (ugh!) the over-the-shoulder lighting.

Who is she anyway (the original model)?

-Y-

Posted Image

#74 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 22 July 2010 - 04:06 PM

Okay - here she is again. What I've done:

Enlarged the helm slightly for a more comfortable 'fit'.
Moved the horns over her ears.
Moved the nose strap to the correct place and reshaped it.
Tilted the helm to match the brow line and head angle.
Changed the highlights to reflect (ugh!) the over-the-shoulder lighting.

Cool. I think the horn being so far back was definitely an odd factor, now that I see the edit. The nosebridge should curve in a bit more toward the top of the helm though. I tried to do that in my last edit - PSP's skew function worked decently for that. Perhaps a little more shading on her right side of the helm too to match the face - the setting sun seems to be off her left shoulder.

Who is she anyway (the original model)?

I think she's from the dismal animated film Beowulf or its even crappier spinoff video game. Not the queen voiced by Robin Wright (who actually somewhat looks like her) but a minor character like Ursula or Yrsa... I'd have to sit through the thing again to make sure, and I'm not really willing to do that at present :D. I doubt she looks anything like the actress who voiced her though, any more than Ray Winstone looks like the title character.

I mined some NWN portraits and found some surprisingly decent ones that could make do as alternatives for Shar-Teel, Dynaheir, Kivan and loads others, all close to the BG style. I'm surprised no one's made a portrait mod of them already, though maybe I've just missed it.

#75 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 12:01 AM

As requested. I've also highlighted the bronze band where it faces the sun (should have done that before). That's no setting sun either - it's a particularly badly setup studio lamp with no diffusor and a photographers' reflector on either side of her to bounce the light back.

-Y-

Posted Image

#76 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 23 July 2010 - 09:36 PM

As requested. I've also highlighted the bronze band where it faces the sun (should have done that before).

Looks good. Is part of the more distant bronze band supposed to be visible though? Might want to blend that a bit, though I can probably handle that eventually, unless you get to it. No rush though, you've got other stuff going on (as do I, but this is something I can chip away at relatively easily; "relatively" being the operative term).

Edit: by bronze band, I mean the one around the horn behind her which should occupy a position above her right ear.

Edited by Miloch, 23 July 2010 - 09:39 PM.

#77 Yovaneth

Yovaneth

• Modder
  • 3058 posts

Posted 24 July 2010 - 01:31 AM

You know, I actually looked at that and decided to ignore it! :lol: If it bugs you that badly though, a quick edit would be to simply copy a few pixels at the base of the horn and paste them over the top of the bronze ring.

-Y-

#78 Turambar

Turambar
  • Modder
  • 935 posts

Posted 25 August 2010 - 06:14 AM

I think anomen, cernd, blue aerie, the green jaheira and the last Viconia are really nice!

Skie and Minsk seem unnatural to me: I think they don't stand well in the background and their heads seem a bit crooked to me. Anyway, that petulant skie is very nice!

I think, as someone has said, that shar-teel wouldn't wear THAT... The original portrait is a bit too chast for her and needs some enhancement, but I would rather think of Safana *un*dressed like that.

Turambar

Currently supporting: DSotSC for BGT, NTotSC - forum

Turambar's fixes and tweaks for BG2, BGT, DSotSC, NTotSC, SoBH and more!

Before posting questions (even regarding posts written by myself), please look at Jarno Mikkola's FAQs for the Megamods!
(how to correctly report CTDs)

vipersig.jpg

#79 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 03:48 PM

Skie and Minsk seem unnatural to me: I think they don't stand well in the background and their heads seem a bit crooked to me. Anyway, that petulant skie is very nice!

I had tweaked Minsc a bit from the original post to make the skin tone more natural (and also matches the final Dynaheir a bit better).

(L-R): Edit 1, Edit 2 (most recent), Original
t-minscl.jpg t-mins2l.jpg nminscl.jpg
The background wasn't too different from the original, but I darkened it a bit. Is that better or did you mean something else? Could do the same for Skie but she is more pale of course, so that might make the portrait look even more unnatural.

Also, I recalibrated my monitor using Adobe and Paint Shop (should've done that a while ago) and noticed that a lot of portraits (like Viconia's) are indeed too dark on monitors that are calibrated correctly. Is this one better or is it too light now?
t-vico1l.jpg
Probably gonna end up with 4 or 5 choices for each portrait :o but whatever. Different strokes for different folks and all.

#80 kungfuhobbit

kungfuhobbit
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 12:51 AM

Awesome thread - thankyou! solves my 10 year old "not being bald" Minsc avatar problem!