NearInfinity

• Please log in to reply
969 replies to this topic

#961 Argent77

Argent77
  • Staff
  • 1005 posts

Posted 29 October 2018 - 09:50 AM

Wait - the game can run while NI is open? I always tried to prevent this from happening.

Yes, that should work fine with all IE games. However, changes made in NI while the game is open are usually not registered until you restart the game.

Also, it depends on the game--the original BG locks the tlk file, so NI can't read any of the strings while BG runs. BG2(EE) + NI is just fine but, as argent says, changes generally won't show up until you restart the game.

You're right. I think all engine revisions before (original) BG2 will lock the dialog.tlk, which also includes PST and IWD.

#962 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1501 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 05:40 AM

Whenever I try to put bam into resource field of #215 opcode (Graphics: Play 3D Effect), if there's vvc with the same name NI changes resource from bam to that vvc upon saving. Either a bug or intended behaviour which I disagree with :)

The Old Gold - v0.1 WIP (mod for BGT/BWP/BWS)

#963 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• 1491 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 06:30 AM

Whenever I try to put bam into resource field of #215 opcode (Graphics: Play 3D Effect), if there's vvc with the same name NI changes resource from bam to that vvc upon saving. Either a bug or intended behaviour which I disagree with :)

If I'm not mistaken, this is simply a reflection of engine behavior--if you specify "foo" as the resource the engine will play foo.vvc if it exists, and will only play foo.bam if foo.vvc does not exist*. If you want to play a BAM file directly you'll have to specify one that doesn't have an identically-named VVC.

The resource field is only eight characters, so you're actually specifying "filename" not "filename.bam". NI is simply adding the file extension for your edification.

* Should note that 'foo.vef' would also take priority, but VEFs are used pretty much nowhere.

Edited by CamDawg, 12 November 2018 - 06:31 AM.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#964 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1501 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 06:37 AM

Ah, I wasn't aware of that, great to know, and thanks for the explanation :)

#965 jastey

jastey
  • Staff
  • 1330 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 08:13 AM

Wait - the game can run while NI is open? I always tried to prevent this from happening.

Yes, that should work fine with all IE games. However, changes made in NI while the game is open are usually not registered until you restart the game.

Also, it depends on the game--the original BG locks the tlk file, so NI can't read any of the strings while BG runs. BG2(EE) + NI is just fine but, as argent says, changes generally won't show up until you restart the game.

Thanks for the info! I learn something new every day. :) (Awesome feature, btw.)

#966 Sam.

Sam.
  • Modder
  • 1062 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 02:32 PM

Here you go:
Thank you Sam!!!!
It works great in your tool. Off to make same new items.
I hope it didn't take a lot of your time.

For your reference, PaletteGenerator has been updated with better default paperdolls and 1ppv4 paperdolls than I had provided previously.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

-- to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#967 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Staff
  • 347 posts

Posted 12 November 2018 - 03:15 PM

If I'm not mistaken, this is simply a reflection of engine behavior--if you specify "foo" as the resource the engine will play foo.vvc if it exists, and will only play foo.bam if foo.vvc does not exist*. If you want to play a BAM file directly you'll have to specify one that doesn't have an identically-named VVC.

The resource field is only eight characters, so you're actually specifying "filename" not "filename.bam". NI is simply adding the file extension for your edification.

* Should note that 'foo.vef' would also take priority, but VEFs are used pretty much nowhere.

I agree: the priority display order is VEF, VVC, BAM. Using VEF files is an awesome way to play complex visual effects with opcode #215. ;)

To handle with this, I use general names for bam files and specific ones for vvc. For example, firegr would display a blast of green fire vvc file using feuvert.bam (green fire in French); or firegree.bam

That way, I can use the bam firegree (or feuvert) both in maps and in vvc files used by spell effects or projectiles.

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#968 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1501 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:28 PM

Using VEF files is an awesome way to play complex visual effects with opcode #215. ;)
Thank you for mentioning that Gwendolyne! I am building a (relatively) complex animation right now with the use of multiple nested effects, and I had no idea there's already a format just for that. However there's no single VEF in BG2, do you know where I could get one to use as an example and template?

#969 Gwendolyne

Gwendolyne
  • Staff
  • 347 posts

Posted 13 November 2018 - 10:55 PM

IESDP doc.

But the must to read is this.

I use VEF file to play long duration effects mixing many vvc and wav files. However there is a limitation to use VEF format you will discover in the tutorial. ;)

CARPE DIEM ....

In progress : Menace sur le Royaume de Diamant Éternel there.

#970 Creepin

Creepin
  • Administrator
  • 1501 posts

Posted 14 November 2018 - 12:12 AM

Great tutorial, thanks for the link!