SHS Suggestions and Problems Thread

• Please log in to reply
388 replies to this topic

#21 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 11 May 2009 - 04:18 AM

Hm. I'm afraid I can't reproduce the error. I've tried to bookmark individual posts both with Firefox and IE, and the favicon shows up in both cases.

I've tried something that might work, but can't verify myself. Could you please check and see if there is any difference now?

Ok, I think I figured it out. If you click on Jarno's Post #20 it provides the url <http://www.shsforums...post&p=447334>. This is what I bookmarked and it does not use the favicon. If you actually enter this into the url bar, however, it redirects you to <http://www.shsforums...4&#entry447334> which is probably what you bookmarked and does use the icon. So I guess it's just an error on my part.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#22 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 11:12 AM

It would be really great if the "View New Posts" could be filtered by one's preferences. For instance, I don't own Neverwinter Nights, any of the Oblivion games, Planescape: Torment, or Dragon Age, so I really do not care about the new posts in those forums and sub-forums. Is such a capability possible to implement?

TIA,
Sam.

Edited by Sam., 19 November 2009 - 11:14 AM.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#23 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:30 PM

It would be really great if the "View New Posts" could be filtered by one's preferences.

I would second this - the DA posts are getting a bit spammy. Though who knows, maybe it'll go the way of Oblivion, which started out quite quite spammy when they first added it but emits hardly a peep these days.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#24 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 01:39 PM

It would be really great if the "View New Posts" could be filtered by one's preferences.

I would second this - the DA posts are getting a bit spammy. Though who knows, maybe it'll go the way of Oblivion, which started out quite quite spammy when they first added it but emits hardly a peep these days.

Yeah, it might be worth looking into, as I would like to have the Quayle's Circus to be see-able too... :cheers:

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 20 November 2009 - 01:40 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#25 Carleton

Carleton
  • 30 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:34 PM

I just have a general complaint about content. I'm completely new to SHS and modding my games, and I cannot find consolidated sources of communal wisdom. If you can post a link that has every mod readme posted and advice like "How to go about modding your BG2: The methods available, their requirements, and an outline of available content" I don't have anything to say other than "let me at it." That information is specific to my problem, but the essence of forum structure and the dependency of users adding piecewise experience leads me to believe that the problem is widespread: lack of a big picture and labeling of the objects therein. Where is the subforum devoted to faqs, fyis, and readmes - A library honoring the institutions that shaped the community - for the purpose of countering the structural weakness of forums (the strengths being found in the community which a purely informative publication lacks.)

I've already looked through the forum topics and seen the sticky'd threads in the relevant forums, but not finding the breadth of information I require, I'm down to coombing threads for posts, downloading mods for their readmes, and inefficiently posting questions for soon to be buried answers in a random fashion.

:crying: I'd also like to add there aren't emotes for whining or pouting.

Edited by Carleton, 20 November 2009 - 10:41 PM.

#26 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 10:34 PM

Unfortunately that's not possible, and I don't think it is in the next version of the software, either, unfortunately.

#27 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 11:26 PM

If you can post a link that has every mod readme posted and advice like "How to go about modding your BG2: The methods available, their requirements, and an outline of available content" I don't have anything to say other than "let me at it."

Whoa-ho, well it sounds like what you want is the BiG World Project (unfortunately a PDF but informative all the same) and its accompanying linklist. Start with the "recommended" mods and work your way up from there. Then get the BiG World Setup which will download and extract and install everything automatically.

Though even that might seem arcane to the uninitiated, because it might seem like more of just a laundry list of mods rather than descriptive of why you might want to install certain ones over others. And I agree, there should be a clear-cut index of mod readmes saying what they do. I can only agree to that, because even though I've modded BG1+2 for a while, I have little of a clue as to what some mods do, or even as to the existence of some. Plus, even for some games I've played for years, I have little patience for mucking about with obscure forum posts - I just want to know what mods are the best and how to get them without digging in various forums. There is no central source for that kind of information here, apart from the BWP.

Edit: Also the BiG World Project should have an RSS or other news feed that gives a summary of updates and links - something lacking and also a thing I've never seen.

Edited by Miloch, 20 November 2009 - 11:31 PM.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#28 Carleton

Carleton
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 12:55 AM

I've already read about the big world project and in the outline of [Requirements----> Methods ----> sources] it is but one of the methods by which to mod bg2 starting with some ambiguous conditions. Will it work if I do not want BGT? Will it take more than 10 gigs with a standard install? How much longer will it take than 6 hours to complete with a slow processor (on a system I wouldn't put past crashing,) etc. Given some of my assumptions, that BWP will probably work without making my game into BGT, which will eliminate most of the installation headache, I'll probably end up using BWP, ruining my installation, becoming emotionally damaged, and then finally coming back months later to do it the conventional way I didn't want in the first place.

Despite all that, my complaint is somewhat independent of BG2 modding though. There's just no framework like so: "Forum INFO" *Click* "Sub Forum Hey, what's this all about." *click* FAQ *click* list, then go to forums for discussion and insightful tidbits. Alot of the information is already written out in Stickies and in the readme's of the big fish, but is not organized and hard to find without leading steps.

#29 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 02:51 AM

I've already read about the big world project and in the outline of [Requirements----> Methods ----> sources] it is but one of the methods by which to mod bg2 starting with some ambiguous conditions. Will it work if I do not want BGT?

Well, the BWS gives you opportunity to put the - mark to the BG1 directory, which eliminates the need for the BGT...

Despite all that, my complaint is somewhat independent of BG2 modding though. There's just no framework like so: "Forum INFO" *Click* "Sub Forum Hey, what's this all about." *click* FAQ *click* list, then go to forums for discussion and insightful tidbits. A lot of the information is already written out in Stickies and in the readme's of the big fish, but is not organized and hard to find without leading steps.

Well it all depends on what you are looking for, and then you go to the place that's most suited for that use...
The separated forums are for this, but there is no good ways to make 'needed' information without a trial and error based Search function use... or asking.

:crying: I'd also like to add there aren't emotes for whining or pouting.

:whistling: :shifty: :(
:devil: :devil: :devil: :devil: :devil:

If you can post a link that has every mod readme posted and advice like "How to go about modding your BG2: The methods available, their requirements, and an outline of available content"

The first and the second link. And other Megamod Stickies. There is no readme's even for every mod, so... you probably be better with the IE mods 'we own'.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 21 November 2009 - 03:06 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#30 Carleton

Carleton
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 November 2009 - 09:36 AM

Thanks. Believe it or not, I had no idea the fourth link's page even existed. I'll shut up now.

#31 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 16 December 2009 - 07:35 PM

Would it be possible for the SHS RSS Feed to display the content of each new post?? ^_^ Right now, they display (for me atleast) only the first post of the topic that got recently replied to :unsure:

Modding it to be like PPG's or CoM's would be a real timesaver :cheers:

Cheers,
Lol

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#32 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 19 December 2009 - 11:53 PM

Unfortunately due to the forum's software that's not really an option, sorry!

#33 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 20 December 2009 - 01:13 AM

Figured that might be the case :lol: (the PPG/CoM login screens give it away, with their login for X minutes thing :P ... SHS looks more like G3, who also have this kinda rss) Anyway, thanks :cheers:

Cheers,
Lol

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#34 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 03:44 PM

For some reason, the 'Remember me' option to stay logged on keeps failing me every now and then. Is this something on my end? (I'm using Firefox v3.5.6 if it means anything).

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#35 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 05 January 2010 - 06:48 PM

For some reason, the 'Remember me' option to stay logged on keeps failing me every now and then. Is this something on my end? (I'm using Firefox v3.5.6 if it means anything).

I'm afraid this is likely something on your end, yes. I haven't experienced any issues with the login cookie on any of the three different computers I normally check the forums with.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner

#36 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 06:33 AM

I'm afraid this is likely something on your end, yes. I haven't experienced any issues with the login cookie on any of the three different computers I normally check the forums with.

It logged me out today again. It's weird because I never had this problem with the old site. I'll try deleting everything in my browser history and see if it changes anything (any other ideas?).

#37 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 07:11 AM

Do you have similiar issues with other websites?

#38 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 06 January 2010 - 08:10 AM

Do you have similiar issues with other websites?

The exact same thing happens to me with Blackwyrm's Lair (but not with G3 or PPG). But I always had this issue with BWL.

#39 the bigg

the bigg

2083 is a prime number.

• Modder
  • 3331 posts

Posted 09 January 2010 - 11:33 AM

Suggestion (if there is a mod or setting to do so): in 'view new content', highlight posts made in forums you have moderator access to. I tend to miss posts in my mods' forums, and such a feature (if feasible) would be helpful.

Italian users: help test the Stivan NPC!

Author or Co-Author: WeiDU - Widescreen - Generalized Biffing - Refinements - TB#Tweaks - IWD2Tweaks - TB#Characters - Traify Tool - Some mods that I won't mention in public
Maintainer: Semi-Multi Clerics - Nalia Mod - Nvidia Fix
Code dumps: Detect custom secondary types - Stutter Investigator

If possible, send diffs, translations and other contributions using Git.

#40 SConrad

SConrad

I swear to drunk I'm not God

• Administrator
  • 11148 posts

Posted 10 January 2010 - 03:26 AM

Suggestion (if there is a mod or setting to do so): in 'view new content', highlight posts made in forums you have moderator access to. I tend to miss posts in my mods' forums, and such a feature (if feasible) would be helpful.

Unfortunately not possible with a setting. I could do some hackery but it's likely not going to be an easy fix as I very much doubt the moderator data is available by default in the search module. It's not a priority, anyway.

In the meantime, I recommend using the option to customize View New Content. I've found it incredibly helpful, especially since I have little time to check the forums these days. With this feature, I can make sure that View New Content only shows me the forums I'm the most interested in.

Posted Image Khadion NPC mod - Team leader, head designer
Posted Image Hubelpot NPC mod - Team leader, coder
Posted Image NPC Damage - Coder
Posted Image PC Soundsets - Coder, voice actor
Posted Image Brythe NPC mod - Designer
Posted Image DragonLance TC - Glory of Istar - Designer
Posted Image The NPC Interaction Expansion Project - Writer for Cernd, Sarevok
Posted Image The Jerry Zinger Show - Producer

Iron Modder 5 - Winner