Photo

BiG World Project (BWP) v8.2

• Please log in to reply
493 replies to this topic

#441 Setharnas

Setharnas
  • 55 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:01 AM

Thank you, Miloch, very much appreciated! Managed to get both files updated, it seems - Thalantyr has his apprentice back. :)

#442 Darpaek

Darpaek
  • 363 posts

Donator

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:00 PM

It is entirely possible that my PC was infected somewhere else and de-activating UAC allowed the latent virus to spread. However, I deactivated UAC not two weeks ago when I was modding a copy of Icewind Dale - and I haven't had any internet traffic on this PC since then.

While possible, I find it far more probable that whatever hacker is messing with Vlad's site is also hijacking traffic trying to download from his site. Maybe the file (that identifies itself within explorer as 0 byte) is simply a pointer - but that doesn't explain the behavior it exhibited on my PC - such as rebooting not allowing it to be deleted, etc - but that doesn't mean that something else didn't come down the pipe.

Also, if I had contracted a virus somewhere else - why would it target this specific 0 byte pointer? I had to shut down explorer to get rid of it. Just because others haven't noticed or reported the behavior doesn't mean it's unique to my PC.

#443 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:08 PM

Not sure WTF you're talking about Darpaek... sounds like you should get a good malware cleaner/trojan remover or something. But I've been hearing this Baldurdash gripe for days, if not weeks. Why doesn't someone just upload the legit, uninfected file to Miscellaneous Mods here? I'm sure someone has it - I probably even do. And BWL mirrors everyone else's mods without explicit permission so they can hardly gripe if SHS mirrors "theirs" (not like Baldurdash is "anyone's" other than perhaps Dorner's, who could probably care less).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#444 Darpaek

Darpaek
  • 363 posts

Donator

Posted 26 January 2010 - 12:24 PM

Maybe! I'm pretty good at keeping this PC clean, but it's entirely possible that I had something sitting here waiting for me to turn off UAC - but that doesn't explain the behavior of the 0 byte pointer file.

Regardless, your solution was one I suggested above. Both of those links worked and it should be mirrored here until the hacker issues are resolved over there.

#445 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 05:57 PM

Umm, is a new installpack in the production lines?? :P Cause of this game-breaking CtD in the SoA intro, every BWP game since Aurora v4 now has this glitch :o So, the BWP (and anything using Aurora v4 needs this thing)

Btw, this isn't a request for BWPv9, just an update to the installpack (8.2.3?? ;))

Release something ASAP, or we'll be flooded by "CtD in BG2 start" threads :)

Anyway :cheers:

And BWL mirrors everyone else's mods without explicit permission so they can hardly gripe if SHS mirrors "theirs" (not like Baldurdash is "anyone's" other than perhaps Dorner's, who could probably care less).

BDash wasn't on the BWL server imho, it was in Vlad's own site (eischelon or something :P) Anyway, a bit of courtesy never hurt anyone ^_^ (has anyone thought of requesting him to host in SHS ... temporarily ofc ;))

Maybe! I'm pretty good at keeping this PC clean, but it's entirely possible that I had something sitting here waiting for me to turn off UAC - but that doesn't explain the behavior of the 0 byte pointer file.

Might I ask, exactly how you came to the conclusion that IT IZ the 0-byte file that's causing the all the problems of the world for you?? :lol:

What antivir do you use?? Any external firewalls?? Most of them usually have some kind of traffic tracker these days, so you'll know if that file is downloading something ;)

Edited by Lollorian, 26 January 2010 - 06:07 PM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#446 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 26 January 2010 - 07:31 PM

Umm, is a new installpack in the production lines?? :P Cause of this game-breaking CtD in the SoA intro, every BWP game since Aurora v4 now has this glitch :o So, the BWP (and anything using Aurora v4 needs this thing)

Btw, this isn't a request for BWPv9, just an update to the installpack (8.2.3?? ;))

Release something ASAP, or we'll be flooded by "CtD in BG2 start" threads :)

Y'know, you're gettin' a bit demanding Lol, ain't ya? This modding thing is done for neither love nor money (heh, as if) so an actual concrete offer (and follow-up) of help probably goes a lot farther than a "Release something ASAP or else" :P. Frankly, I don't know how the BWP guys get as much done as quickly as they do.

As for Aurora v4 being already in the BWP, I don't see how that's even possible, since it just came out, I didn't even put it in the BWP Updates thread yet and AFAIK there hasn't been a BWP update since before then. Maybe the technology exists to grab a completely different filename automatically (I wouldn't put it past the BWP team) but the technology also exists to RTFM, or recent forum posts at least, and the fix is so dead easy it's not worth ranting about (particularly since it came out the same day the problem was reported).

Besides, where are all you folks when we ask for testing volunteers? The last time I did ask, all I got back was pretty much a big loud *crickets chirping* noise, so I don't even bother asking anymore.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#447 Darpaek

Darpaek
  • 363 posts

Donator

Posted 26 January 2010 - 09:45 PM

Because of the behavior of the 0 byte file. I wasn't able to delete/copy/rename etc even after rebooting, trying to delete it in a cmd box, or booting in safe mode. I had to halt the process of explorer.exe before I could manipulate the file.

It could be a giant coincidence that I started getting viral activity on my computer at the same time I downloaded this oddly behaving file from a website that was recently hacked. While insufficient to prove cause and effect, I'm not one to believe in coincidence either.

#448 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 03:35 AM

Y'know, you're gettin' a bit demanding Lol, ain't ya? This modding thing is done for neither love nor money (heh, as if) so an actual concrete offer (and follow-up) of help probably goes a lot farther than a "Release something ASAP or else" :P

Ok, now that I look at it again, that does sound a tad aggressive :P Sorry. I'll say it again that I hold the utmost respect for guys who do (great) stuff for free :Bow: :coolthumb: no hard feelings?? :P

Frankly, I don't know how the BWP guys get as much done as quickly as they do.

They're great, that's why :D

As for Aurora v4 being already in the BWP, I don't see how that's even possible, since it just came out, I didn't even put it in the BWP Updates thread yet and AFAIK there hasn't been a BWP update since before then. Maybe the technology exists to grab a completely different filename automatically (I wouldn't put it past the BWP team) but the technology also exists to RTFM, or recent forum posts at least, and the fix is so dead easy it's not worth ranting about (particularly since it came out the same day the problem was reported).

I always thought that the BWS downloads the version mentioned in the Linkliste, and since Aurora v4's been updated (according to this post) it's the default versin downloaded (and then there's some php stuff with SHS' download manager, which helps ;))

Besides, where are all you folks when we ask for testing volunteers? The last time I did ask, all I got back was pretty much a big loud *crickets chirping* noise, so I don't even bother asking anymore.

*crickets* :P

Because of the behavior of the 0 byte file. I wasn't able to delete/copy/rename etc even after rebooting, trying to delete it in a cmd box, or booting in safe mode. I had to halt the process of explorer.exe before I could manipulate the file.

Wow, that's scary :o I dunno Vista stuffz, so I'll skip commenting on this :D

Edited by Lollorian, 27 January 2010 - 03:36 AM.

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#449 Darpaek

Darpaek
  • 363 posts

Donator

Posted 27 January 2010 - 08:02 AM

Yeah! It was! I'm not dumb and not the kinda person that casually jumps on mod message boards with, "Yo. You're uploading a trojan" posts. I tried posting at BWL but their board isn't sending out validation emails.

#450 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 09:19 AM

New Installpack is not needed. :P
Like Miloch mentioned in the thread of the fix:

Will work if you've installed other mods after that, even biffing (it doesn't affect enough files for it to make unbiffing/rebiffing necessary).

we think you can install the fix after the BWP-tools have done their work.

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 27 January 2010 - 09:22 AM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#451 Loco

Loco
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 01:54 PM

Okay I dont get it... Does this mod ALSO add all the mods in the linklist depending on the version you install? It says it merges a lot of great mods together so technicaly I shouldnt need to download and install the mods one and one from the linklist, right? Because this mod already have all those mods in its installation package???

Edited by Loco, 27 January 2010 - 02:08 PM.

#452 Darpaek

Darpaek
  • 363 posts

Donator

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:24 PM

Okay I dont get it... Does this mod ALSO add all the mods in the linklist depending on the version you install? It says it merges a lot of great mods together so technicaly I shouldnt need to download and install the mods one and one from the linklist, right? Because this mod already have all those mods in its installation package???

No, this "mod" downloads all the mods in the linkliste for you, but they still have to be downloaded from their respective sites. This "mod" just automates the process. This "mod" then extracts them into your BGII directory for you.

Note, certain mods will have to be downloaded manually (the BWS will miss them, or the link will time out, etc) and extracted manually. You will be prompted by the BWS and BWI.bat what mods you're missing.

After everything is downloaded and extracted, this "mod" then patches all of those other mods so they play well together. Then, after patching, it will install components from those mods that in such as way as to be as stable as possible. Standard filters out content to attempt to provide a balanced megamod, Tactical installs as many mods as possible and only filters things that break or take over what other mods do.

All told, the download, extract, and install process will probably take you over 8 hours - so you might want to set aside some time. However, once the install part of the process starts you can usually walk away, go to work, go to sleep, etc.

#453 Darpaek

Darpaek
  • 363 posts

Donator

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:27 PM

Shoulda said it above, but if you want to try and cobble dozens of mods together, this "mod" is the best thing since sliced bread.

#454 Loco

Loco
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:37 PM

No, this "mod" downloads all the mods in the linkliste for you, but they still have to be downloaded from their respective sites. This "mod" just automates the process. This "mod" then extracts them into your BGII directory for you.

Note, certain mods will have to be downloaded manually (the BWS will miss them, or the link will time out, etc) and extracted manually. You will be prompted by the BWS and BWI.bat what mods you're missing.

After everything is downloaded and extracted, this "mod" then patches all of those other mods so they play well together. Then, after patching, it will install components from those mods that in such as way as to be as stable as possible. Standard filters out content to attempt to provide a balanced megamod, Tactical installs as many mods as possible and only filters things that break or take over what other mods do.

All told, the download, extract, and install process will probably take you over 8 hours - so you might want to set aside some time. However, once the install part of the process starts you can usually walk away, go to work, go to sleep, etc.

Okay I hope I understood it correctly now! I do not need to download and install the mods one at a time manually, except if the installation tells me that some files are missing...
What version would you recommend? "Recommend-version" or "Standard-version"?

#455 Darpaek

Darpaek
  • 363 posts

Donator

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:46 PM

I'm a "Tactical" kinda guy. Know what the mods do before you start your install and omit those you don't like.

#456 Darpaek

Darpaek
  • 363 posts

Donator

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:48 PM

Pay attention to the first couple pages of this forums to look for hotfixes and new download links you'll currently need. Earlier in this thread, there's a link to baldurdash that works (since the linkliste link doesn't work atm) and a couple threads down is a hotfix for animation issues with Aurora v4

#457 Loco

Loco
  • 19 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:56 PM

Pay attention to the first couple pages of this forums to look for hotfixes and new download links you'll currently need. Earlier in this thread, there's a link to baldurdash that works (since the linkliste link doesn't work atm) and a couple threads down is a hotfix for animation issues with Aurora v4

Thanks a lot for your help! Now one last question... Is it possible to download them seperately in another folder first, with the help of this mod of course. So that if i want to uninstall and install the game and add the mods again I could just add that one folder that I earlier "fixed".
Is this in some way possible?

#458 Darpaek

Darpaek
  • 363 posts

Donator

Posted 27 January 2010 - 06:53 PM

The BWS does this automatically. It will downloaded all the unextracted mods into a folder called Big World Downloads inside of your BGII - SOA folder. Plus, the BWS includes a backup utility before it starts installing that creates a small backup that allows you duplicate your clean install if you screw up during the installation phase.

#459 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 10:33 PM

The BWS does this automatically. It will downloaded all the unextracted mods into a folder called Big World Downloads inside of your BGII - SOA folder.

Actually you can put the folder to anywhere, by default it's in the game directory but that can be changed from this window:
Posted Image
I always advice everyone to put it in the BWS folder just like your game install folder, not inside the game folder itself...

PS: Before you start the BWS, remember to copy all your Baldur's Gate mod into the download folder so you don't have to redownload all your latest files.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 27 January 2010 - 10:41 PM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#460 -Russian-

-Russian-

Posted 28 January 2010 - 03:16 PM

I've installed BWP, but there's many mods that haven't been installed.
How can I check, wich mods are missing, if I skipped list at the end of installation?
Can I install missing mods manually, or they should be installed in a specific order?