NearInfinity

• Please log in to reply
1155 replies to this topic

#301 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 06:27 AM

Is this bit fully supported? I've tested it in both BG2 and BG2EE, and my half-orc character could equip items with enabled bit 31 without problems.

#302 -Hurricane-

-Hurricane-
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:54 AM

The only game I know that currently supports it is BG:EE patched to the latest version v1.3.2053. From the patch notes:
Modder Features
- Items can now be flagged as unusable by Half-Orcs

I've checked and indeed this didn't work yet in v1.2 but it does now in v1.3.

#303 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 01:08 PM

I've checked and indeed this didn't work yet in v1.2 but it does now in v1.3.
Any idea how they fixed it ? So The BG2 could use that fix... say, in the (G3)BG2Fixpack. :D

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#304 -Hurricane-

-Hurricane-
  • 81 posts

Posted 12 October 2014 - 08:29 PM

Sorry, only Beamdog knows. :D

#305 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 01:09 PM

Update: NearInfinity v1.35.0-snapshot-20141017

Changes:
  • Added support for case-sensitive filesystems (as found on Linux and derivates). This feature supersedes the (already dated) CI versions of NearInfinity and removes the requirement of tolowered game installations at the same time.
  • Added a CHU resource viewer
  • Added a proper Modron Maze structure to PST's GAM resources
  • Several minor fixes and updates

#306 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 07:58 PM

Dammit Argent, stop being awesome.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#307 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 17 October 2014 - 09:55 PM

• Added support for case-sensitive filesystems (as found on Linux and derivates). This feature supersedes the (already dated) CI versions of NearInfinity and removes the requirement of tolowered game installations at the same time.

1st post has been edited to reflect this :) .

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#308 -Hurricane-

-Hurricane-
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 03:45 AM

Thanks for the update!
For the Poison opcode (25), NearInfinity says the parameter #2 "Poison type" can be one of four values (0 through 3). The label for value=3 says "Amount damage per round". I think this should be "1 damage per 'Amount' seconds" because that is what I am experiencing in BG:EE

I'm using both IESDP and DLTCEP as sources for effect opcode descriptions which are not always in sync

Huh, I figured out why NI had the "Amount damage per round" label before. It was the correct description for vanilla BG1. The opcode parameter is different in BG1 vs. BG2. Sorry for not checking before. I've tested the behavior of Eldoth's arrows in vanilla BG1 and indeed it's 2 damage per round in that game (doled out as 1 dmg every half round), instead of 1 dmg every 2 seconds as in BG1:EE. So I guess either the old or the new label should be displayed depending on which game is loaded.

#309 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:14 AM

Poison type 3 in BG1 is pretty weird. It's more like "1 damage per amount+1 seconds". Even BG1EE uses a strange pattern to calculate the poison damage. It's close to "1 damage per amount seconds", but not quite.

#310 -Hurricane-

-Hurricane-
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 05:43 AM

If you say so. :)
It's more like "1 damage per amount+1 seconds". Even BG1EE uses a strange pattern to calculate the poison damage.

Hm, I didn't know that. Is there a tool or code available that shows how this works? In other words, can you tell me where you know all this from, if there is any source other than in-game testing?

#311 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:05 AM

Hm, I didn't know that. Is there a tool or code available that shows how this works? In other words, can you tell me where you know all this from, if there is any source other than in-game testing?

Only from pure observation. :) I'm testing with customized spells however, to have more control over the specific spell effect.

#312 -Hurricane-

-Hurricane-
  • 81 posts

Posted 18 October 2014 - 06:22 AM

Thanks.

#313 Mad Mate

Mad Mate
  • 191 posts

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:00 PM

Argent77, I have one bug and one feature request:

First bug: When I try to save result.txt from triggers & actions check in dialogues it always saves just first few lines, never whole list.

And feature request, when checker encounters CreateVisualEffect & CreateVisualEffectObject in script or dialogue it searches for VVC, and reports an error if it isn't found, but some of those actions refer to BAMs.

Is it possible to search for BAM, if VVC isn't found, and then reports an error?

From iesdp: "...the engine first looks to play a VVC file of the specified name, if no such a file exists, the engine looks to play a BAM file of the specified."

Thank you for your work.

#314 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:19 AM

Argent77, I have one bug and one feature request:

First bug: When I try to save result.txt from triggers & actions check in dialogues it always saves just first few lines, never whole list.

It looks like only errors are saved into the text file even if you switch to the "warnings" tab. I'll fix it in the next snapshot. I'd like to keep errors and warnings separated however to avoid cluttering the output file.

And feature request, when checker encounters CreateVisualEffect & CreateVisualEffectObject in script or dialogue it searches for VVC, and reports an error if it isn't found, but some of those actions refer to BAMs.

Is it possible to search for BAM, if VVC isn't found, and then reports an error?

From iesdp: "...the engine first looks to play a VVC file of the specified name, if no such a file exists, the engine looks to play a BAM file of the specified."

I can't reproduce this behavior on my side. If a VVC isn't found, it will search for BAM files. Only if neither of the resource types have been found, a warning will be issued. I'll change the search order for resource types however, so it will first look for VEF, VVC and BAM, in that order.

#315 Mad Mate

Mad Mate
  • 191 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:07 AM

It looks like only errors are saved into the text file even if you switch to the "warnings" tab. I'll fix it in the next snapshot. I'd like to keep errors and warnings separated however to avoid cluttering the output file.

Thank you!

snip

I can't reproduce this behavior on my side. If a VVC isn't found, it will search for BAM files. Only if neither of the resource types have been found, a warning will be issued. I'll change the search order for resource types however, so it will first look for VEF, VVC and BAM, in that order.

Let me give you more details, what is happening, I'll give you an example:
In vanilla BG2 in DRSHSP01.dlg in action 0 NI displays warning (Resource not found: S:DialogFile* - "SPENTAXI") related to:
CreateVisualEffectObject("SPENTAXI",Myself)
but SPENTAXI.BAM is in the game. Things like this occurs in script check, also.
In BG2:EE same files, same line and no warnings are displayed.

Edited by Mad Mate, 23 October 2014 - 07:16 AM.

#316 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:51 AM

Ah, ok. The cause for this warning is an incorrect definition of CreateVisualEffectObject() in ACTION.IDS. The first parameter is defined as "S:DialogFile*" instead of "S:Effect*". I had tested it only in BG2EE where this issue has already been fixed. I'll add a work-around for it in the next snapshot.

Edited by Argent77, 23 October 2014 - 08:52 AM.

#317 CamDawg

CamDawg

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:05 AM

Ah, ok. The cause for this warning is an incorrect definition of CreateVisualEffectObject() in ACTION.IDS. The first parameter is defined as "S:DialogFile*" instead of "S:Effect*". I had tested it only in BG2EE where this issue has already been fixed. I'll add a work-around for it in the next snapshot.

In some ways I'm torn on this. On the one hand I feel like NI should accurately reflect the current IDS files, but the flipside of this is that action.ids is wrong and NI shouldn't really waste user's time with false reports.

Maybe we can get that Fixpack jerk to fix this for vBG2.

____

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#318 CamDawg

CamDawg

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:21 AM

While I'm here, I may as well actually contribute something.

If you use Tools > Check > Scripts on IWD you get about 4000 warnings, mainly about script names not found, e.g.

File: 4001LMTR.BCS  Error: Script name not found: S:Name* - "LIZARD_KING"  Line: 20

By default, IWD uses the Name field of an actor in an area file as a creature's script name. LIZARD_KING is a valid script name since it's in ar4001.are as actor 31's name.

While that's not default behavior in BG2, the same thing can happen when the 'override script name' flag is set there. BG2 doesn't use the trick often, but one example are the githyanki in ar2400.

____

#319 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:48 AM

By default, IWD uses the Name field of an actor in an area file as a creature's script name. LIZARD_KING is a valid script name since it's in ar4001.are as actor 31's name.

While that's not default behavior in BG2, the same thing can happen when the 'override script name' flag is set there. BG2 doesn't use the trick often, but one example are the githyanki in ar2400.

That's one source of script-related warnings (which I'll fix or work around eventually).

Another source are the checker routines themselves. The checker routines are a bit unreliable sometimes and might show many false positives on occasion. You can minimize this effect by opening any BCS file manually first before starting a check. It's most likely caused by a race condition or something like that. It's very difficult to track down these kinds of issues, which is why I haven't found a solution for it yet.

Edited by Argent77, 23 October 2014 - 09:50 AM.

#320 CamDawg

CamDawg

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:10 AM

The checker routines are a bit unreliable sometimes and might show many false positives on occasion.
Oh, I know. Between the various Fixpacks and EE development, I spend a lot of time with the mass check tools.

____