147 replies to this topic

#1 Kaeloree

Kaeloree

Head Molder

• Administrator
  • 9198 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 06:36 AM

Hi everyone!

Thanks for your patience. It's been a tough couple of days to get everything ready to go, and we might be missing some bits and pieces, but for the most part everything seems to be up and working. First thing's first, though: a big round of applause for SConrad and khayman for their (literally) tireless efforts to ensure we were down for as short a time possible!

In the past two days we have: migrated to a new server, upgraded the forum software, updated the skin (thanks to khayman), reorganised the forums and done a bunch of behind-the-scenes work to make sure everything runs smoothly. I won't go into details about every change, as there have been a lot of them, but if you have any questions ask away.

One quick note about the Download Manager: uploads are not working, so you won't be able to upload or update any mods for the time being. Full functionality will be restored ASAP.

If you can't see the website, check back in a few hours. It may take a while for the new DNS settings to propagate.

Let us know what you think so far, and please post any errors or problems you encounter!

Cheers,
Liam

#2 Anomaly

Anomaly
  • 562 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:21 AM

Congratulations for the upgrade !
French translator of: BG2 FixPack, BG2 Tweaks, Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU, BGT-Tweaks and some minor mods.

#3 Lava Del'Vortel

Lava Del'Vortel

Fiction Enforcer

• Modder
  • 2298 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 07:42 AM

It looks really nice, but one thins... previously there were those gray/green dots thanks to which we knew that there is a new post in particular subforum... it's off now? I've got to check my mods forum instead of taking a glance at main forum page?

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to make forums without new replies gray while the background is white. It's somehow hard to read.

Af for the rest - it looks marvelous! Thanks for the change Liam, Seb and Khayman! A pint for each of you! :cheers:

#4 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:03 AM

Nice new look! Now, if only the sign-in thing will work properly, all will be well :)

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#5 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 08:47 AM

The bolded letters look really off. Especially 'e'.

#6 joshuar9476

joshuar9476
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 09:06 AM

The site looks amazing ... Thanks to everyone that did the dirty work.
i have a witty signature thought up, i just haven't posted it yet.

#7 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 10:03 AM

Overall, I like the new look. Congradulations and thanks for all the hard work!
I have noticed a few small issues which I will point out in case they warrant addressing.
Some of the smiles work :) while some do not :cheers: . I have emotions enabled.

Also, the [D/L] and [Link] links on the mod forums don't seem to work:
ScrnShot.jpg

In my opinion, the IE Modding Tools download category should have its own category in the Download Manager, instead of beind a subcategory under Baldur's Gate II Mods (as it is not a mod for BGII and pertains to any/all Infinity Engine games, not just BGII).

Also, the subdomains of Spellhold Studios seem to be missing. Specifically:
Classic Adventures Homepage: http://ca.spellholdstudios.net/
Readme Directory: http://readme.spellholdstudios.net/

Is it possible to make the posting/post editing dialogue work the way it used to? I mean non-html editor where it displays the BBCode, but leaves the buttons enabled?

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#8 aVENGER

aVENGER
  • Modder
  • 1680 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 11:27 AM

Thanks for all the hard work guys. In case we don't say it often enough, having such a great platform to host our mods is greatly appreciated. SHS rocks! :)

Is it possible to make the posting/post editing dialogue work the way it used to? I mean non-html editor where it displays the BBCode, but leaves the buttons enabled?

You can turn on the non-html editor by pressing the lightswitch button at the top of the post window (just above the B icon for bold style). However, I support having some kind of permanent setting in the forum Control Panel where we can select BBcode as our default posting style,

#9 joshuar9476

joshuar9476
  • 128 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:04 PM

also, is it just me, or does the site really drag in Chrome?
i have a witty signature thought up, i just haven't posted it yet.

#10 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:21 PM

Thanks for all the hard work guys. In case we don't say it often enough, having such a great platform to host our mods is greatly appreciated. SHS rocks! :)

Agreed :)

You can turn on the non-html editor by pressing the lightswitch button at the top of the post window (just above the B icon for bold style). However, I support having some kind of permanent setting in the forum Control Panel where we can select BBcode as our default posting style,

That's where I have it set and it seems to remember my setting, but ALL of the buttons are disabled, so I can no longer use them to insert the BBCode for underline, URLs, ordered and unordered lists, etc.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#11 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:39 PM

Browsing with Firefox 9.0.1 at 1920x1200 res - everything that's supposed to be up right now seems to be working well. Congrats on the successful update guys - also, nice work on the skin, khay. Get rid of that sleep deprivation now! ;)

#12 Archmage Silver

Archmage Silver

Master of The Art

• 6654 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:49 PM

I've got to ask about the avatar/photo setting though, is this the new IP.Board standard? I just find cropped avatars somewhat annoying.

#13 Aranthys

Aranthys
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 12:59 PM

Good job !
But gotta say, the forum is .. well, slow with Chrome / Firefox.
Browsing with IE8 seems fine.

#14 Giuseppe

Giuseppe
  • 115 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

Congratulations for the upgrade and thanks for your hard work, guys :)

#15 hook71

hook71
  • 280 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:23 PM

Nice and fresh look! No problems in Safari that I've noticed.

Really missing the dots for new posts in subforum.

Also the Latest Files box only seems to list new files not updated ones.

#16 Solar's Harper

Solar's Harper

Under Star & Sky.

• Modder
  • 2758 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:29 PM

Nope. Lags extremely bad for me as well. But then, since when was Chrome ever the epitome of efficiency. ;)

Methinks it has something to do with the layering, it seems to think that's a priority above all other things, though ten bucks says I'm wrong. Oddly, it doesn't suck up extra system resources to load SHS though.

Classic Adventures - a Total Conversion compilation dedicated to bringing many of the old and new PnP modules into the wonderfully dangerous world that is Baldur's Gate II.   Fancy link button to Downloads page.

CA Forum.  Bugs to be squashed, feedback to be welcomed!

Website at: http://classicadventuresmod.com/
~***~***~***~

When in doubt, lockpick a mudcrab!

Beware the nug conspiracy!

#17 Bookwyrme

Bookwyrme
  • Modder
  • 5804 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 01:39 PM

Welcome back :) That was fast!

Mods: <a data-cke-saved-href="http://www.shsforums...-auroras-shoes/">Aurora's Shoes (released),

#18 khay

khay

Swords to Rust, Hearts to Dust

• Modder
  • 1719 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:03 PM

Thanks everyone! Things are still work in progress with plenty of things left to tweak and I'll do my best to find the sweet spot to make most people have an enjoyable experience across the forums. In the meantime, keep coming with suggestions and bug reports, the forum sexifying process shall be continued!

It looks really nice, but one thins... previously there were those gray/green dots thanks to which we knew that there is a new post in particular subforum... it's off now? I've got to check my mods forum instead of taking a glance at main forum page?

I'm not sure if it's a good idea to make forums without new replies gray while the background is white. It's somehow hard to read.

I will look into this!

The bolded letters look really off. Especially 'e'.

Could you please post a screenshot and tell me what browser (and which version) you are using? I think it's related to the font smoothing of your browser.

Overall, I like the new look. Congradulations and thanks for all the hard work!
I have noticed a few small issues which I will point out in case they warrant addressing.
Some of the smiles work :) while some do not :cheers: . I have emotions enabled.

I will look into this, some of the smilies might be deprecated (or we just used an extra smilies pack with the old version that we haven't installed yet).

We'll see if we can find such an option. :)

Nope. Lags extremely bad for me as well. But then, since when was Chrome ever the epitome of efficiency. ;)

Methinks it has something to do with the layering, it seems to think that's a priority above all other things, though ten bucks says I'm wrong. Oddly, it doesn't suck up extra system resources to load SHS though.

You are right indeed, Firefox, Opera and IE seem to be fine, but Chrome lags because of the background image CSS stretching (you can find the same issue on the Bethesda Forums, for example, with the Skyrim nord-dude in the background). I'll try to find a way to both keep the background image and make it smooth in Chrome, it annoys me immensely as well.

#19 Shaitan

Shaitan
  • 800 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:09 PM

Very nice done

:coolthumb:

#20 Almateria

Almateria

most garbage person

• Modder
  • 969 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 03:23 PM

I can't right-click on embedded images, it shows a non-working greyed-out window.

It's really bad!