Photo

NearInfinity

846 replies to this topic

#841 Argent77

Argent77
  • 809 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:27 AM

I've noticed the 'Undo' button when stepping through dialogues has been a little flaky the last few versions. If you click 'undo' and the previous state was a different dialogue file, it will jump to the correct file in the resource panel but the main panel will remain unchanged. Using 'undo' when the previous line was in the same dialogue file works as expected.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

#842 Argent77

Argent77
  • 809 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:08 AM

Update: NearInfinity v2.1-20170907

Changes:

• Improved autodetection of text encoding in non-Enhanced games. It's currently working for western languages and Polish.
  • Area viewer provides overhead icon labels which can be controlled via global viewer settings.
  • Updated various resource type fields.
  • Updated several opcode parameters.
  • Fixed an OSX-specific bug that prevented saving current application settings when using shortcut command-Q.
  • Applied hotfix to "Undo" button in DLG viewer which didn't work correctly when external DLG references where involved.
  • Several internal fixes.

#843 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 2754 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:29 AM

A very strange event, the only issue is with NI as it works in the game:

I added an entry point for an area (OH9360 - the Black Pits). You can go there now from an EET area and play it as part of EET.

Adding the entry is the only modification done to the are file.

Spoiler

The transition works perfectly and there is no issue with playing the extension. Note - the exit from the pits is via script as in the original game (just with a new destination to comply with mod). There is no issue with that at all in the game itself.

However, trying to open OH9360.are in NI after the modification is not possible "Error reading oh9360.ARE null".

Uninstall the mod and it is fine again.

There are no problems with the corresponding wed, tis or bcs files, just the are-file.

Edited by Roxanne, 07 October 2017 - 05:29 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#844 Argent77

Argent77
  • 809 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:17 AM

It looks like OH9360.ARE doesn't contain a rest encounter structure (rest encounter offset is 0). fj_are_structure seems to set the rest offset to a non-zero value without adding a rest encounter structure. As a result NI attempts to read non-existing data which triggers an error.

I can probably avoid this error by adding more checks, but that's only a hack. Ideally fj_are_structure should be fixed to ensure that offsets pointing to non-existing single structure elements (such as songs or rest encounters) are set to zero.

#845 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 2754 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:38 AM

It looks like OH9360.ARE doesn't contain a rest encounter structure (rest encounter offset is 0). fj_are_structure seems to set the rest offset to a non-zero value without adding a rest encounter structure. As a result NI attempts to read non-existing data which triggers an error.

I can probably avoid this error by adding more checks, but that's only a hack. Ideally fj_are_structure should be fixed to ensure that offsets pointing to non-existing single structure elements (such as songs or rest encounters) are set to zero.

Maybe not worth it. I assume it is something unique to those Black Pit areas. It sems to have no real impact on the gameplay as such. The only issue I found was in NI when I tried to quickly look up something during mod creation. Unless you think it is a more widespread problem. I have used the same fl_are technique to add exit or entry to numerous original areas and there is never any problem.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#846 Argent77

Argent77
  • 809 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:49 AM

I found several areas without resting encounter structures outside of Black Pits in BG1EE, and in classic BG1 as well (e.g. AR0608). But all of them had their offsets set to 0. Classic BG1 seems to crash if you set the offset to non-zero. BG1EE handles these structures gracefully.

#847 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6433 posts

Posted 13 October 2017 - 06:07 PM

Ideally fj_are_structure should be fixed to ensure that offsets pointing to non-existing single structure elements (such as songs or rest encounters) are set to zero.

I am surprised it does not. It has a lot of similar checks anyway.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
================================================================
"My definition of an intellectual is someone who can listen to the William Tell Overture without thinking of the Lone Ranger." -Billy Connolly

Reply to this topic