NearInfinity

• Please log in to reply
1155 replies to this topic

#821 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 06:16 AM

Your suggestion doesn't work all the time since you can easily replace dialog(f).tlk of the game with a copy from another language. I can imagine it's a common solution for games in languages where copies are hard to come by nowadays.

The only reliable method I can think of is by inspecting the dialog.tlk itself and compare it with a reference string that is stored in NI for each game in all available languages. I would need the dialog.tlk for BG1, BG2, PST, IWD and IWD2 in every available language to make it happen.

#822 K4thos

K4thos
  • Modder
  • 315 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:09 AM

in case this would be implemented eventually here are Polish TLK files (official, from retail releases) of old engine BG1, BG2, PST, IWD and IWD2: https://www.sendspace.com/file/h9aspr

I can provide English versions too for BG1, BG2, IWD and IWD2 (don't have English PST), but other languages would need public call for help.

(I will remove the link tomorrow in case sharing TLK is considered questionable)

Edited by K4thos, 03 August 2017 - 07:11 AM.

#823 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:31 AM

Thanks. I'll play a bit with the files and see if or how I can improve the autodetect charset feature. I have already the English talk tables for all non-EE games.

It might even be possible to use language-specific strings from the EE games. But it would be a trial and error process since Beamdog fixed or rearranged many lines from the original games.

#824 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 07:41 AM

I've got a box set containing BG2:SoA in a few languages.  IIRC it has English, French, German, and Italian at least.  I can try to dig it up this afternoon if it would help.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#825 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 03 August 2017 - 08:26 AM

I could already get a hold of the German talk tables for BG1 and BG2. Everything else is welcome. I'm also interested in talk tables for languages with non-latin characters (e.g. Russian or Chinese).

#826 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:01 AM

Update: NearInfinity v2.1-20170809

This is mainly a bugfix release.

Changes:

• Removed compiler option "Interactive script and resource names" which could permanently block the application under certain circumstances when opening BCS resources. It's now part of "Autocheck BCS".
  • Fixed a bug in the string editor that could produce erroneous results for dialog.tlks that have been unusually structured (found in a number of non-english dialog.tlks of non-EE games).
  • Fixed a compiler bug where the script function signature table was not properly cleared when a new game was opened. It could result in unrecognized script actions.
  • Restored auto-adding resource from a "Add Copy Of" operation to resource tree.
  • ARE Actor flags bit 3 (Override Script Name) is supported by IWD2.

#827 K4thos

K4thos
  • Modder
  • 315 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 06:59 PM

NI lists 0x01bc offset in IWD2 CRE structure (v2.2) as unknown. Many creatures have value set there. According to IESDP its Creature enchantment level (1 byte).

Edited by K4thos, 12 August 2017 - 06:59 PM.

#828 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 13 August 2017 - 12:28 AM

Thanks. Will be updated.

There appear to be several more fields in IWD2 resources marked as unknown which are already defined in IESDP. I'll go through the specs and see what else I can update.

#829 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 22 August 2017 - 06:57 AM

I'm currently working on improving the autodetection of string encodings in classic IE games. At present it's working for western languages (e.g. English, French or German) and Polish. To expand the list of supported languages it would greatly help if someone can provide the dialog.tlk of classic BG1, BG2, IWD, IWD2 and/or PST in
- Chinese
- Czech
- Japanese
- Korean
- Russian
- Turkish
- or any other language that does not use western text encoding.

#830 K4thos

K4thos
  • Modder
  • 315 posts

Posted 25 August 2017 - 01:24 PM

Some feature requests for Area Viewer that I think would be usefull in NI (please ignore them if this not easy to implement)

- Enabling Actors, Regions, Entrances, Containers, Doors, Background Animation, Door polygon layers could show actual object "Name" in a little box right above the reference (small font).

- New 'INI Spawns' layer would be usefull (data from parsed INI files) especially in games like PST:EE where most actors are spawned with INI (not sure how to handle different spawn point coordinates that are chosen randomly - maybe different color or displaing only first one with additional coordinates disaplayed after clicking on it?)

Also it would be neat if INI viewer would alow opening the reference with right click -> open in new window when it comes to following arguments:

cre_file                // Filename of the CRE that should be spawned
dialog                  // Overwrites spawned CRE dialog file
script_override         // Overwrites spawned CRE override script
script_area             // Overwrites spawned CRE area script
script_specifics        // Overwrites spawned CRE specifics script
script_class            // Overwrites spawned CRE class script
script_race             // Overwrites spawned CRE race script
script_general          // Overwrites spawned CRE general script
script_default          // Overwrites spawned CRE default script

script_special_1        // IWD2 equivalent for 'script_area'
script_team             // IWD2 equivalent for 'script_specifics'
script_special_2        // IWD2 equivalent for 'script_class'
script_combat           // IWD2 equivalent for 'script_race'
script_special_3        // IWD2 equivalent for 'script_general'
script_movement         // IWD2 equivalent for 'script_default'

Edited by K4thos, 25 August 2017 - 03:49 PM.

#831 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 01:38 AM

Some feature requests for Area Viewer that I think would be usefull in NI (please ignore them if this not easy to implement)
- Enabling Actors, Regions, Entrances, Containers, Doors, Background Animation, Door polygon layers could show actual object "Name" in a little box right above the reference (small font).

You can already see "Name" as tooltip, on right-click and in the info box when you hover over the item with the mouse. Where else should the name be displayed?

- New 'INI Spawns' layer would be usefull (data from parsed INI files) especially in games like PST:EE where most actors are spawned with INI (not sure how to handle different spawn point coordinates that are chosen randomly - maybe different color or displaing only first one with additional coordinates disaplayed after clicking on it?)

INI-based actors are already displayed in the area viewer. Can you give me an example that isn't covered yet by the viewer?

Also it would be neat if INI viewer would alow opening the reference with right click -> open in new window when it comes to following arguments:

I can add it to my to-do list, but it would probably be a lot of work to implement a full-featured INI parser (actually two parsers since INI is also used for creature animations). Btw, you could simply copy and paste the resource name into the quick search field of the navigation bar for the same effect.

#832 K4thos

K4thos
  • Modder
  • 315 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 02:09 AM

INI-based actors are already displayed in the area viewer. Can you give me an example that isn't covered yet by the viewer?

indeed, somehow didn't notice them. Awesome feature.

You can already see "Name" as tooltip, on right-click and in the info box when you hover over the item with the mouse. Where else should the name be displayed?

When I use Are Viewer CRE Name is not really what I'm looking for (especially considering many CREs like animals have no Name at all). It's 0x0 offset Name in actors ARE structure (so for example "Shrieker 6" not "Shrieker", "SEAGUL" not "No such index"). As for displaying names above reference I was thinking about something like this:

uphxuf8.png

of course using ARE structure name, not CRE name. Right clicking displays it but working with areas would be easier if this info would be displayed all the time, imo.

Edited by K4thos, 26 August 2017 - 02:15 AM.

#833 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 26 August 2017 - 03:17 AM

You're right, ARE Actors only displaying CRE name isn't ideal. I'll fix it in the next release. Adding permanent item labels on the map will be much more difficult though. I can't say yet how much work it would require.

#834 The Imp

The Imp

Not good, see EVIL is better. You'll LIVE.

• 5150 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 10:48 AM

How do I choose a different size font ? The 12 is ... quite small on a 3840x2160 rez, even if it is 28". :P

Edited by The Imp, 27 August 2017 - 10:57 AM.

Yep, Jarno Mikkola. my Mega Mod FAQ. Use of the BWS, and how to use it(scroll down that post a bit). 
OK, desert dweller, welcome to the sanity, you are free to search for the limit, it's out there, we drew it in the sand. Ouh, actually it was still snow then.. but anyways.

#835 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 27 August 2017 - 11:51 AM

Unfortunately, you can't. The GUI library used by NI isn't really DPI aware. There was a discussion about it some time ago, but without definite results. There is an option to change font properties, but it only applies to resource content.

It might be possible to apply hacks (either in NI itself or on user's side), but they all come with numerous unwanted (and ugly) side effects. I'll see if I can find a better solution (that doesn't require to rewrite the whole GUI from scratch), but chances for that are slim.

Edited by Argent77, 27 August 2017 - 11:59 AM.

#836 CamDawg

CamDawg

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

• Modder
  • 1505 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

I've noticed the 'Undo' button when stepping through dialogues has been a little flaky the last few versions. If you click 'undo' and the previous state was a different dialogue file, it will jump to the correct file in the resource panel but the main panel will remain unchanged. Using 'undo' when the previous line was in the same dialogue file works as expected.

Why is this Hypnotoad video so popu... ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD.
____
The Gibberlings Three - Home of IE Mods

The BG2 Fixpack - All the fixes of Baldurdash, plus a few hundred more. Now available, with more fixes being added in every release.

#837 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 28 August 2017 - 09:27 AM

I've noticed the 'Undo' button when stepping through dialogues has been a little flaky the last few versions. If you click 'undo' and the previous state was a different dialogue file, it will jump to the correct file in the resource panel but the main panel will remain unchanged. Using 'undo' when the previous line was in the same dialogue file works as expected.

Thanks. I'll look into it.

#838 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 07 September 2017 - 05:08 AM

Update: NearInfinity v2.1-20170907

Changes:

• Improved autodetection of text encoding in non-Enhanced games. It's currently working for western languages and Polish.
  • Area viewer provides overhead icon labels which can be controlled via global viewer settings.
  • Updated various resource type fields.
  • Updated several opcode parameters.
  • Fixed an OSX-specific bug that prevented saving current application settings when using shortcut command-Q.
  • Applied hotfix to "Undo" button in DLG viewer which didn't work correctly when external DLG references where involved.
  • Several internal fixes.

#839 Roxanne

Roxanne

Modder

• 3564 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 05:29 AM

A very strange event, the only issue is with NI as it works in the game:

I added an entry point for an area (OH9360 - the Black Pits). You can go there now from an EET area and play it as part of EET.

Adding the entry is the only modification done to the are file.

Spoiler

The transition works perfectly and there is no issue with playing the extension. Note - the exit from the pits is via script as in the original game (just with a new destination to comply with mod). There is no issue with that at all in the game itself.

However, trying to open OH9360.are in NI after the modification is not possible "Error reading oh9360.ARE null".

Uninstall the mod and it is fine again.

There are no problems with the corresponding wed, tis or bcs files, just the are-file.

Edited by Roxanne, 07 October 2017 - 05:29 AM.

The Sandrah Saga

another piece of *buggy, cheesy, unbalanced junk*

#840 Argent77

Argent77
  • Administrator
  • 1398 posts

Posted 07 October 2017 - 08:17 AM

It looks like OH9360.ARE doesn't contain a rest encounter structure (rest encounter offset is 0). fj_are_structure seems to set the rest offset to a non-zero value without adding a rest encounter structure. As a result NI attempts to read non-existing data which triggers an error.

I can probably avoid this error by adding more checks, but that's only a hack. Ideally fj_are_structure should be fixed to ensure that offsets pointing to non-existing single structure elements (such as songs or rest encounters) are set to zero.