Photo

Questions, comments, etc.

• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#41 Al the Dumb

Al the Dumb
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 03:20 PM

The download counter is pushing 3500 but I've heard very little feedback on the mod apart from technical things. Or I've heard feedback on the subcomponents, but not the main component, Aurora's Shoes itself.

So I'm interested in hearing what people think. Does the dialogue make sense? Have you tried talking to Aurora with various NPCs in the party, after certain events, etc.? Have you tried, completed, failed to complete any of the quests? Are the items too powerful, not powerful enough, too expensive, not expensive enough etc.? Any suggestions for additions? Quaffed any odd potions lately? And so on...

I'm going to start a new run through of BG II/ToB and will post any content feedback I can here. One question though: the readme mentions nothing about Kobold commando's but apparently they can be changed by the mod.

Thanks and I'm sure I'll enjoy this, Al

#42 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:20 AM

One question though: the readme mentions nothing about Kobold commando's but apparently they can be changed by the mod.

Apparently, K'aeloree didn't update the readme from v2 to v3 on the website, though I thought he did. Anyway, that is described in the readme packaged with the mod or in the version mirrored here.

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#43 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:19 PM

Hey there :cheers:

I've always been using the cutscene reduction components and they're almost essential in my test install now :P Imoen meets, Ctrl+J to Irenicus' home, take key, Ctrl+J to portal, take Yoshimo, Ctrl+J to exit, get out, watch fast=forwarded cutscene and start :P

Now, one thing I'd like to request is, could you make the Gaelan Bayle encounter a wee bit shorter?? The talks always end up with me agreeing to pay, so why talk first, go to his house, have a lengthy discussion and then that "They're deviants, let em rot in spellhold" cutscene ... bottlenecks the options ... and couple that with the fact that the Slums are the only place you can go to once you get out, and it gets annoying pretty fast.

I heard of a mod called Dungeon-be-Gone that skips the entire Chateau Irenicus stuff, if this mod could also just teleport me outside with just Imoen and Yoshimo (since all the others are purely optional ... and Yoshimo's the ... betrayer), it'd be great too :P

Thanks for listening to that rant, :D
Lol

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#44 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:20 AM

Now, one thing I'd like to request is, could you make the Gaelan Bayle encounter a wee bit shorter??

Might be a bit out of scope... the only reason the initial cutscene components are included is because I got sick of sitting through them during Aurora testing :D. But I could take a look at it I guess. I'd need to know some technical details on which cutscenes/dialog files are involved. I think SCS2 does something with it but it only increases the amount he wants IIRC, which you'd have to pay of course one way or another.

I heard of a mod called Dungeon-be-Gone that skips the entire Chateau Irenicus stuff, if this mod could also just teleport me outside with just Imoen and Yoshimo (since all the others are purely optional ... and Yoshimo's the ... betrayer), it'd be great too

Might want to raise that in the PPG forum, though I doubt Compton is actively maintaining DBG. As mentioned in the readme, I use the Aurora cutscene components in conjunction with DBG and SCS's "Skip Candlekeep" for BG1/Tutu, so they're compatible. There is a choice in DBG to take you to Yoshimo, though I've never used it so I don't know if you get another option to teleport out after that. You can have him wait for you at an inn in Athkatla though, which is probably the quickest option.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#45 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 06:59 AM

Now, one thing I'd like to request is, could you make the Gaelan Bayle encounter a wee bit shorter??

Might be a bit out of scope... the only reason the initial cutscene components are included is because I got sick of sitting through them during Aurora testing :D. But I could take a look at it I guess. I'd need to know some technical details on which cutscenes/dialog files are involved. I think SCS2 does something with it but it only increases the amount he wants IIRC, which you'd have to pay of course one way or another.

Thanks for looking into it!! Much appreciated :D The pet peeve was that there's not much you could do within the Promenade right after you get out of CI. The Gaelan talk seems to be just a roleplaying extension of the Irenicus-Shadow Thieves battle. Not to mention the other obligatory cutscene right after the talk <_<

And yes, SCSII raises his prices (the BWP raises it to 40000 ... default = 20000, but you probably knew that :P)

I heard of a mod called Dungeon-be-Gone that skips the entire Chateau Irenicus stuff, if this mod could also just teleport me outside with just Imoen and Yoshimo (since all the others are purely optional ... and Yoshimo's the ... betrayer), it'd be great too

Might want to raise that in the PPG forum, though I doubt Compton is actively maintaining DBG. As mentioned in the readme, I use the Aurora cutscene components in conjunction with DBG and SCS's "Skip Candlekeep" for BG1/Tutu, so they're compatible. There is a choice in DBG to take you to Yoshimo, though I've never used it so I don't know if you get another option to teleport out after that. You can have him wait for you at an inn in Athkatla though, which is probably the quickest option.

Oh, so they're compatible?? Ok, then, I'll be using DBG too then :P

Thanks,
Lol

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#46 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:30 AM

Oh, so they're compatible??

Yes, even with DBG though, you have to sit through that bloody annoying startup cutscene unless you also install the Aurora component.

#47 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 28 December 2009 - 07:36 AM

Oh, so they're compatible??

Yes, even with DBG though, you have to sit through that bloody annoying startup cutscene unless you also install the Aurora component.

Aye, DBG and Aurora :cheers: YAY!!! No more 'Ctrl+J'-walking (geddit?? jaywalking?? ... ok, I'll stop now :ph34r:)

I have this idea in my head that everything that's not in the BWP isn't compatible with all the others :P

Cheers,
Lol

#48 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:40 AM

I have this idea in my head that everything that's not in the BWP isn't compatible with all the others :P

Yes and no. It could be incompatible or we have not had the time to include it into the BWP, yet. But DBG is incompatible with the BWP, because some mods add content and NPCs to Irenicus dungeon and with DBG you don't get the content and the NPCs and more things could happen. If you use selected mods, then you could try DBG and it should be working without big problems.

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 29 December 2009 - 06:44 AM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#49 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 06:43 AM

Uups, sorry. :whistling:

Greetings Leomar

Edited by Leomar, 29 December 2009 - 06:46 AM.

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#50 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 08:06 AM

But DBG is incompatible with the BWP, because some mods add content and NPCs to Irenicus dungeon and with DBG you don't get the content and the NPCs and more things could happen. If you use selected mods, then you could try DBG and it should be working without big problems.

Heya Leomar :cheers:

The DBG homepage says:

Merely talk to the guide that appears shortly after your character is released, and you'll have several options.

so I guess the content gets skipped only if you agree to that guide guy. Just like the Skip Candlekeep component in SCS(:unsure:??) And Miloch says they're compatible, so I guess that count :devil:

I only needed this for my test install (which only has stuff like SCS and the tweaks, no megas :cheers:)

Cheers,
Lol

#51 Quester

Quester
  • 157 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 11:40 AM

A couple of initial comments from my first encounter with Karaea:

I like the idea of this mod, but the items sold by Karaea are way, way too easy to come by so early in BG1. Atleast for someone like me, who plays with Hard Times installed and wants magic items to be rare and "earned" for the most part. Actually, looking through the many, many powerful boots sold by Karaea, there is little reason for me to spend money anywhere else than in this shoeshop.

My request, then, would be to split the main Aurora's Shoes component into a couple of different options:

1. The full-fledged, all items included version (like it is now).
2. A second version with half as many shoes, perhaps removing some of the more powerful ones.
3. A third version that only has 1/4 as many shoes, and perhaps moves Karaea to Baldur's Gate or some other location that you won't reach for a while.

Having these kinds of options would be appreciated by those of us who like a challenging game where part of the challenge comes from more difficult enemies and improved AI, and the other part from not having too many magic items readily available (yes, I love Hard Times).

What do you think?

#52 Jarno Mikkola

Jarno Mikkola

The Imp in his pink raincoat.

• 10911 posts

Posted 29 December 2009 - 01:40 PM

Yes and no. It could be incompatible or we have not had the time to include it into the BWP, yet. But DBG is incompatible with the BWP, because some mods add content and NPCs to Irenicus dungeon and with DBG you don't get the content and the NPCs and more things could happen.

Well, doesn't the old Mega mod saying still hold true here:

A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content, but you have more choices or paths through the game.

So if the mod doesn't crash the game, it's 'practically' compatible... and only the player is responsible of the action he takes, that may close doors behind him.
Now, of course as there is 300+ of mods to consider, not all can be tested and rechecked that they all work well and dandy with everything else... so the list of the 'approved mods' can only grow so much at one time.
As you should Lollorian know, the iiSSAM will probably never be approved cause it's unbalanced as unheaven even with the insane difficulty, but well, it's still compatible, always.

Hmm, still no link to Aurora mod in this post, hmm.
Could you Miloch create a optional sub-component alike the 'Realistic random treasures' that would go through all the monster .cre files and remove the items added by the Exnem Items mod... if their level is less than say 10...?
Also the 'recommended' description of the mod components could be improve, say you put; Recommended for X, X being BWS install mode, CA etc. Or just put your recommendations somewhere else if there is not enough space.

Edited by Jarno Mikkola, 14 January 2010 - 01:35 AM.

Deactivated account. The user today is known as The Imp.

#53 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 01 January 2010 - 03:22 PM

The DBG homepage says:

Merely talk to the guide that appears shortly after your character is released, and you'll have several options.

so I guess the content gets skipped only if you agree to that guide guy. Just like the Skip Candlekeep component in SCS(:unsure:??)

Yes, if it's just that, that shouldn't make DBG (or Skip Candlekeep) incompatible with anything, because you have the options not to skip anything even with the mods installed.

Hmm, still no link to Aurora mod, hmm.

Where, on the PPG modlist? I was kind of under the impression that list was dated, at least by the large number of really old mods/broken links compared with newer mods, and that most folks these days went by the BWP linklist, but I guess it wouldn't hurt having it on the PPG list too.

Could you Miloch create a optional sub-component alike the 'Realistic random treasures' that would go through all the monster .cre files and remove the items added by the Exnem Items mod... if their level is less than say 10...?

I think my suggestion (relayed in several places) would be just don't install Exnem Items :P. Or are you talking about CA specifically? In that case, I would have no idea, since I haven't actually played CA (just tested our content in it). I think it might be difficult without redoing (or overwriting) the Exnem-modded treasure tables though, because they don't spawn actual items on creatures, just random item placeholders than then spawn an item based on the table. You might want to bring it up to Sir BillyBob in the CA forum. Game imbalance aside, some of those items are inappropriate even in CA, because they have descriptions from LotR, Final Fantasy etc. (though maybe he changed those).

Also the 'recommended' description of the mod components could be improve, say you put; Recommended for X, X being BWS install mode, CA etc. Or just put your recommendations somewhere else if there is not enough space.

Someone would have to provide those recommendations - I only relayed those GeN1e suggested originally on his average megamodded install.

I like the idea of this mod, but the items sold by Karaea are way, way too easy to come by so early in BG1. Atleast for someone like me, who plays with Hard Times installed and wants magic items to be rare and "earned" for the most part. Actually, looking through the many, many powerful boots sold by Karaea, there is little reason for me to spend money anywhere else than in this shoeshop.

My request, then, would be to split the main Aurora's Shoes component into a couple of different options:

1. The full-fledged, all items included version (like it is now).
2. A second version with half as many shoes, perhaps removing some of the more powerful ones.
3. A third version that only has 1/4 as many shoes, and perhaps moves Karaea to Baldur's Gate or some other location that you won't reach for a while.

This did occur to me when I coded the Tutu version but I figured the items were so expensive, you couldn't reasonably acquire them early in the game, except the cheap/lower-powered ones. I'd think this'd be especially true if you're using Hard Times and/or the Store Prices components in Aurora, no?

Some of the rest of this is a tad spoilerish, so skip it if you don't like spoilers :).

Reducing the number of shoes available would be quite easy in alternate components, but the big question is - which shoes? I know some are more powerful than others, but some like the Boots of the Pub would be fairly useless late in the game, and in fact you can't use them for much until later in the game (they get more powerful as you do, sort of).

As for moving Karaea to Baldur's Gate, that would be easy in theory but tough in practice, because she has a special lair under Nashkel, so I'd have to move all the area connectors, redo area scripts, figure out where to put her in the city, redraw another door etc. Now on the other hand, she could offer a few boots in Nashkel early on and more in Baldur's Gate later. We do the same sort of thing in BG2 by moving her from Trademeet to Amkethran (she is a travelling merchant after all) but her inventory doesn't change (fairly easy to do though).

Yet another option is just to nerf all the items in the BG1/Tutu store, because they are probably more balanced for BG2. Not that much work to change the item files but probably a bit for the translators, as it'd probably require alternate descriptions for everything. To be honest, I wasn't going to put her in the BG1 portion of BGT at all, but I think someone said "I couldn't find her in Nashkel, the readme says she's supposed to be there" and I guess I just decided it'd be easier to put her there in both BGT and Tutu than emphasise that only applied to Tutu.

#54 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 13 January 2010 - 08:31 PM

Now, one thing I'd like to request is, could you make the Gaelan Bayle encounter a wee bit shorter?? The talks always end up with me agreeing to pay, so why talk first, go to his house, have a lengthy discussion and then that "They're deviants, let em rot in spellhold" cutscene ... bottlenecks the options ... and couple that with the fact that the Slums are the only place you can go to once you get out, and it gets annoying pretty fast.

I coded an option to abridge that cutscene (movie01b.bcs I believe) but I don't think I'm going to attempt abridging his actual dialogue if that's what you were after. It's pretty complex, and we don't do anything like that already. The existing "Shorten BG2 cutscenes" component only skips Imoen's talk in the opening scene because it's short, linear and doesn't set any variables or anything (in other words it makes no difference at all if you have the conversation or not, and it's the same every time).

If you want to test it, let me know. I'm not really in a spot to test something that far into the game (though I suppose it's not that far, but still, I don't have a save from around there or anything).

Karaea's initial shop in Nashkel also now has fewer items. She'll reappear in Baldur's Gate after the battle with Davaeorn though, with a larger stock. I think that does it for the suggestions in this thread, unless anyone has more concrete offerings.

#55 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 05:37 AM

Karaea's initial shop in Nashkel also now has fewer items. She'll reappear in Baldur's Gate after the battle with Davaeorn though, with a larger stock. I think that does it for the suggestions in this thread, unless anyone has more concrete offerings.

Could you point me to where this change is located in the new version? I like her original stock just fine and want to add all the other changes.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#56 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 06:09 AM

Great (and huge) update!! :D

Added option to abridge Spellhold cutscene in "Shorten BG2 intros" component

I haven't tried this yet, but thanks all the same :Bow:

Optimized patching by avoiding time-consuming regexp

I was seriously gonna report this tonight :woot: Aurora took an entire 13 min to install in my last install (6th highest after gen_biff, DEFJAM, Unique Arttifacts, SCS and SCSII :o)

Edited by Lollorian, 21 January 2010 - 06:09 AM.

#57 Shaitan

Shaitan
  • 800 posts

Posted 21 January 2010 - 10:56 AM

To clarify: I don't need to install IA to make the new goodies from Aurora work? I guess it is implemented into the mod itself?

#58 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:34 AM

Could you point me to where this change is located in the new version? I like her original stock just fine and want to add all the other changes.

I guess you could copy the old store to agkaraea.sto and agkarbg1.sto.
Attached File  agkaraea.rar   369bytes   297 downloads
However, I would not recommend this. You're not actually missing anything; you just don't see some items until Baldur's Gate, and Quester is quite right in that some of the more powerful items shouldn't be available from the start (if you can afford them before BG you're probably cheating or powergaming or something anyway :P). But suit yourself.

Optimized patching by avoiding time-consuming regexp

I was seriously gonna report this tonight :woot: Aurora took an entire 13 min to install in my last install (6th highest after gen_biff, DEFJAM, Unique Arttifacts, SCS and SCSII :o)

I tested v3 which took 14:50 on my machine (for all components at the end of a BWP install); v4 took 10:30 and has a lot more content (2-3 times as big), so I guess it's an improvement. Not using oggdec or regexp can work wonders.

To clarify: I don't need to install IA to make the new goodies from Aurora work? I guess it is implemented into the mod itself?

Correct (it doesn't include all of IA though, just the bits we use).

#59 Daulmakan

Daulmakan

Comfortably numb

• 1065 posts

Posted 22 January 2010 - 03:50 AM

I guess you could copy the old store to agkaraea.sto and agkarbg1.sto. However, I would not recommend this. You're not actually missing anything; you just don't see some items until Baldur's Gate, and Quester is quite right in that some of the more powerful items shouldn't be available from the start (if you can afford them before BG you're probably cheating or powergaming or something anyway :P). But suit yourself.

Thanks.

item_pack.jpg   Drows.jpg

#60 -temujin-

-temujin-

Posted 22 January 2010 - 10:57 PM

Miloch,

there is a glitch in the fj_add_are_structure function that corrupts items when inserting new actors into area files (noticeable in ar0500, ar0528, ar3700)

it's because of this (line 241):

GET_OFFSET_ARRAY vertex 0x78 0x04 off + 0x44 0x04 off + 0x40 0x04 0x04
      PHP_EACH vertex AS num1 => off1 BEGIN
        READ_ASCII off1 $EVAL ~are_container_%num%_itm~(~%num1%~) (0x14)
      END CLEAR_ARRAY vertex

should be changed to "GET_OFFSET_ARRAY vertex 0x78 0x04 off + 0x44 0x04 off + 0x40 0x04 0x14" + ...

it'll probably also make things clearer if a different name for the array was used (instead of vertex, which was already used earlier and could only lead to this type of oversight)

some items (agblun03, agdart01, agdart02, agax1h03, agdart03, agshsbow) are being added to creatures via ADD_CRE_ITEM but they don't seem to exist... did you maybe forget to include them in the mod package?

and,

aurora/extend/agbarhop.baf
aurora/extend/soa/agbarhop.baf

AreaCheck("LK#TEM")
    AreaCheck("LK#DEM")

did you mean to say LKXTEM and LKXDEM?