Creature Fixer

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:03 PM

Is it valid for a creature to have a melee weapon equipped in the primary hand while a ranged weapon is equipped in the off hand / shield slot? I ask because I have found two such creatures in Classic Adventures, but Creature Fixer didn't report them and they don't seem crash the game. Is this an okay practice in a non-joinable character or should they be fixed?

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--<CHARNAME> to Portalbendarwinden

--------------------

post-10485-0-15080600-1348188745.jpg
___________Old pen and paper modules of the 70s and 80s.___________

CA Forums CA Homepage

#22 -Guest-

-Guest-

Posted 24 December 2009 - 12:15 PM

These are vanilla BG1 errors, typos obviously (swih04 => sw1h04) that this tool fixes. It's questionable whether dead folks like the first two need valid weapons, but they have other equipment, so I guess it's for looting or something, I dunno.

Nah, it just carried over from a living guard (they just copied and marked STATE_DEAD). The weapons don't draw when they're dead, and you'll never get access to their inventory.

Is it valid for a creature to have a melee weapon equipped in the primary hand while a ranged weapon is equipped in the off hand / shield slot? I ask because I have found two such creatures in Classic Adventures, but Creature Fixer didn't report them and they don't seem crash the game. Is this an okay practice in a non-joinable character or should they be fixed?

It shouldn't be allowed, but it may not be an issue (do both weapons work? if so, then it's OK). Crashes usually only come from the animation code (you can break all the rules unless the engine actually has to try and draw the items, at which point, you need to pay attention to two-handed weapons and shields and stuff like that); the game really doesn't care otherwise.

#23 Ascension64

Ascension64
  • Modder
  • 5983 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:34 PM

Now, I've tested the CreFixer with BGT only (without BG2 Fixpack).

Without BG2 Fixpack, BGT has all the mentioned slot issues like the BG2 main installation has. Only daqilue is fixed with BGT. That means, BGT should fix those issues, too, or recommend to install the BG2 Fixpack, or perhaps better, use the crefixer code, like Miloch mentioned, for easier handling to fix those things.

And BGT installs three new corrupted files:

Creature	Item	  Slot	Issue
dead2	   swih04	0x12	Weapon slot item does not exist
deadfuck	swih04	0x12	Weapon slot item does not exist
jamie	   swih04	0x12	Weapon slot item does not exist

I'll let A64 know this.

Greetings Leomar

Hmm, how strange. The DevDoc fixpack section mentions these are fixed but somehow they are not in the code. thanks for the mention.

--------------
Retired Modder
Note: I do not respond to profile comments/personal messages in regards to troubleshooting my modifications. Please post on the public forums instead.

Baldur's Gate Trilogy-WeiDU and Mods
Throne of Bhaal Extender (TobEx)

Contributions: (NWN2) A Deathstalker (voice acting) - (IWD2) IWD2 NPC Project (soundset editing) - (Misc) SHS PC Soundsets (voice acting)
Legacy: (BG/Tutu/BGT) Beregost Crash Fixer 1.9 (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Enable conversations with charmed/dominated creatures (18 Jul 10) - (BG2) Experience Corrections (18 Jul 10) - (Misc) Platform Conversion Utility RC2 (13 Feb 10)

#24 Leomar

Leomar
  • 1720 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 06:51 AM

I used the CreFixer with the recent CA v.51 and that is the report:
Creature   Item	 Slot	Issue
ddguard4   key17	0x12	Item of wrong type 8 in weapon slot
firarc01   bow01	0x12	Two-handed weapon equipped with off-hand item shld05
rielev	 mage01   0x12	Item of wrong type 10 in weapon slot
trple01	xbow01   0x14	Two-handed weapon equipped with off-hand item shld03

Greetigs Leomar
A Megamod does not mean that you can play all of the mods or all of their content,
but you have more choices or paths through the game.
- Chevalier

BiG World Project - Big Baldur's Gate World

#25 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:02 AM

Would it be possible for crefixer to do something about the results of NI's "Find CRE Items not in Inventory" options?? I don't even know wat it means but when I run it, it seems to return cre's and itm's that aren't present in its inventory in "View mode" but are present in "Edit mode" :P

Is it something to worry about?? I have 603 hits with NI's option (and some of them refer to items like @ Ƒ\Á?.ITM :wacko:)

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

BWP GUIDE - BWP FIXES - impFAQ - NPC LIST - KIT LIST - AREA LIST

GitHub Links : BWP Fixpack | Lolfixer | BWP Trimpack | RezMod

#26 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 05:44 AM

Would it be possible for crefixer to do something about the results of NI's "Find CRE Items not in Inventory" options?? I don't even know wat it means but when I run it, it seems to return cre's and itm's that aren't present in its inventory in "View mode" but are present in "Edit mode" :P

Is it something to worry about?? I have 603 hits with NI's option (and some of them refer to items like @ Ƒ\Á?.ITM :wacko:)

It indicates that items have been added to the .CRE file, but have not actually been placed into any of the creature's inventory slots. As an example, see "Item 1", "Item 2", and "Item 3" in the image below:
InventoryItem.jpg

Supposedly, this error can only come about when creatures are created using NI, and cannot be produced using DLTCEP.

"Ok, I've just about had my FILL of riddle asking, quest assigning, insult throwing, pun hurling, hostage taking, iron mongering, smart-arsed fools, freaks, and felons that continually test my will, mettle, strength, intelligence, and most of all, patience! If you've got a straight answer ANYWHERE in that bent little head of yours, I want to hear it pretty damn quick or I'm going to take a large blunt object roughly the size of Elminster AND his hat, and stuff it lengthwise into a crevice of your being so seldom seen that even the denizens of the nine hells themselves wouldn't touch it with a twenty-foot rusty halberd! Have I MADE myself perfectly CLEAR?!"

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#27 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 31 March 2010 - 06:11 AM

Hmm, I thought if you added an item, it'd automatically be seen in the inventory :P Cool to know :D Anyway, I've created a package of all the .cre's that contain references to stupidly named items - 10 .cre's in total from 10 different mods. I checked them in NI and sure enough, they have filled "Item #" slots but whatever's filling the slot is either gibberish or some typo (spaces etc) :P

I'd be extremely grateful if someone could have a look (and if possible, clean the .cre's off all the gibberish :P I don't think I haz the skillz to do that kinda stuff :lol:)

Attached Files

"I am the smiley addict, yellow and round, this is my grin :D when I'm usually around :P.
When there's trouble brewing, see me post, cuz it's usually a wall o' yellow and your eyes are toast!!!"

#28 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:18 AM

I checked them in NI and sure enough, they have filled "Item #" slots but whatever's filling the slot is either gibberish or some typo (spaces etc) :P

AFAIK, this is only an issue if the item is actually assigned to a slot as Sam says (i.e. its Item number shows up under Helmet or whatever) otherwise you'll never see it outside of NI. And if that does happen, this tool should already fix that. But yeah, I guess I could clean up unslotted bad references for the next release of this, whenever I get around to it (other things more pressing going on now).

Note that CREs having items not actually in their inventory is extremely common, especially for BG1 CREs, many of whom were probably just created from a common template then customised by choosing specific items from a common pool of items. Again, not something you're ever going to see in the game. Though it can be annoying from a modding perspective occasionally.

Don't try editing these with NI - you'll probably just make it worse (probably what caused this to begin with).

Infinity Engine Contributions
Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
PnP Free Action * Thrown Hammers * Unique Containers * BG:EE * BGII:EE * IWD:EE
================================================================
Player & Modder Resources
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#29 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:15 AM

I guess I could clean up unslotted bad references for the next release of this, whenever I get around to it (other things more pressing going on now).

That would be awesome :woot:

Although I know you're not a fan of fixing other peeps' mods for them, could you (or anyone else) please clean up the 10 .cre's attached so that the problem is nipped at the bud :P (especially the SD.cre - which is used as a base for many other cre's in Shed's Mod :unsure:) I tried editing them in DLTCEP, but the items-not-in-inventory don't show up to be deleted :(

#30 Mike1072

Mike1072
  • Modder
  • 539 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 10:58 PM

I guess I could clean up unslotted bad references for the next release of this, whenever I get around to it (other things more pressing going on now).

That would be awesome :woot:

Although I know you're not a fan of fixing other peeps' mods for them, could you (or anyone else) please clean up the 10 .cre's attached so that the problem is nipped at the bud :P (especially the SD.cre - which is used as a base for many other cre's in Shed's Mod :unsure:) I tried editing them in DLTCEP, but the items-not-in-inventory don't show up to be deleted :(

This "problem" has no negative effect in-game or out-of-game. The maximum effort that anyone should spend dealing with this is a global patch added to something like Creature Fixer that will tidy everything up all at once.

#31 Lollorian

Lollorian

smiley addict

• 4150 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:29 AM

So, it isn't a problem?? :unsure: Cool! And yes, global patch good :D

#32 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:03 AM

So, it isn't a problem??

No, like I said, it isn't (and for once Mike1072 is right :P). But anyhow I added it to the Fixer with one fat FOR loop - surprising the amount of unslotted nonexistent cruft, even in an unmodded BG2.

Aurora * BG1 NPC * BG1 Fixpack * Haiass * Infinity Animations * Level 1 NPCs * P5Tweaks
BAM Batcher * Creature Lister * Creature Checker * Creature Fixer * Tutu/BGT Area Map & List * Tutu Mod List
"Infinity turns out to be the opposite of what people say it is. It is not 'that which has nothing beyond itself' that is infinite, but 'that which always has something beyond itself'." -Aristotle

#33 Fennek

Fennek
  • 355 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 10:46 AM

I tried a BWP-Tactic-installation (9.03) and got this error:

scripting style "BG2"

Installing [creature offset checker]
Copying and patching 1 file ...

Zeroed effects offset in [AC_QUEST\CRE\ACQ10GIB.CRE]

Zeroed effects offset in [AC_QUEST\CRE\ACQX0005.cre]

Zeroed effects offset in [amber\creatures\m#yclbm1.cre]

Zeroed effects offset in [amber\creatures\m#ycmcm1.cre]

Zeroed effects offset in [amber\creatures\m#ydemon.cre]

Zeroed effects offset in [amber\creatures\m#ygsbm1.cre]

Zeroed effects offset in [amber\creatures\m#ygsbm2.cre]

Zeroed effects offset in [amber\creatures\m#ygsbm4.cre]

Zeroed effects offset in [amber\creatures\m#ygspm1.cre]

Zeroed effects offset in [amber\creatures\m#ygspm2.cre]

Zeroed effects offset in [amber\creatures\m#ygspm3.cre]

Zeroed effects offset in [amber\creatures\m#ygspm4.cre]

Zeroed effects offset in [amber\creatures\m#ygspm5.cre]

Zeroed effects offset in [amber\creatures\m#ygswm1.cre]

Zeroed effects offset in [amber\creatures\m#yguna1.cre]

Zeroed effects offset in [amber\creatures\m#yimp.cre]

Zeroed effects offset in [amber\creatures\m#ynymp1.cre]

Zeroed effects offset in [amber\creatures\m#ynymp2.cre]

ERROR Installing [creature offset checker], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall 0 files for [BiG World Fixpack\_utils\cre_check.tp2] component 0.
Uninstalled 0 files for [BiG World Fixpack\_utils\cre_check.tp2] component 0.
ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "BiG")
PLEASE email the file nul to me
Automatically Skipping [creature offset checker] because of error.

NOT INSTALLED DUE TO ERRORS creature offset checker

Leonardo's BiG World Smoothpack v8.1
------------------------------------processing fixes for "amber"
patching file `Setup-Amber.tp2'
processing fixes for "BGT"

Any idea what had happened here? I never got such an error before.

#34 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 20 April 2010 - 02:56 PM

Zeroed effects offset in [amber\creatures\m#ynymp2.cre]

ERROR Installing [creature offset checker], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall 0 files for [BiG World Fixpack\_utils\cre_check.tp2] component 0.
Uninstalled 0 files for [BiG World Fixpack\_utils\cre_check.tp2] component 0.
ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "BiG")
PLEASE email the file nul to me

This is not the Creature Fixer, but the Creature Offset Checker - a separate utility provided by the BiG World Fixpack (coded by Taimon IIRC but I'm not sure). You should post your issue in the BWFixpack or Creature Offset Checker bug thread if there is one (or start such a thread).

All I can say is that DEBUG isn't terribly useful, because it doesn't indicate any actual errors (like an out-of-bounds READ on a particular CRE or something). Usually in my experience, an error like that can indicate something like antivirus or other memory-resident software is running, so make sure all that is completely disabled.

[Also - BWP folks or whoever maintains that - please replace the AUTHOR of "me" in the tp2 with an actual forum post or something useful, so folks know where to post issues they have with it.]

#35 Fennek

Fennek
  • 355 posts

Posted 21 April 2010 - 10:34 AM

Sorry Miloch; I posted at the proper place (Mega mod Help) now.

#36 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 27 August 2010 - 08:47 AM

I don't mean to necropost, just to report an install failure with this mod under Mac OS X:

ERROR: error loading [crefixer/cre_log.txt]
Stopping installation because of error.
ERROR: [ABYDEM01.CRE] -> [override/ABYDEM01.CRE] Patching Failed (COPY) (Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "crefixer/cre_log.txt"))
Stopping installation because of error.

ERROR Installing [Creature Slot Fixer], rolling back to previous state
Will uninstall   3 files for [Setup-crefixer.tp2] component 0.
Uninstalled      3 files for [Setup-crefixer.tp2] component 0.
ERROR: Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat", "crefixer/cre_log.txt")

I suspect this is because no file named cre_log.txt exists (I checked the mod's folder contents, and the file is nowhere to be found). How can I fix this? I've installed the mod before with no errors, and am currently finishing up on reinstalling my collection of (150) mods, after restoring critical files to a clean installation.

Thanks,
Eric

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#37 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 31 August 2010 - 11:43 AM

I suspect this is because no file named cre_log.txt exists (I checked the mod's folder contents, and the file is nowhere to be found). How can I fix this?

The file will not exist if the mod errored out, as it is created during runtime. However, it should exist prior to that time and if it completes without erroring. The first two commands in the .tp2 ensure that:
<<<<<<<< .../crefixer-inlined/cre_log.txt
Creature	Name	Item	Slot#	SlotName	Issue
>>>>>>>>

COPY ~.../crefixer-inlined/cre_log.txt~ ~crefixer~
Moreover, the forward slashes ensure it should be compatible with OS X as well as other OSes. Could be a file read-write permissions issue but I've no idea how that works on OS X. And if that happens in general with mod, a lot of them would fail (but haven't you gotten a lot of these "Patching Failed (COPY) (Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat" ...))" errors elsewhere?).

I guess you could try copying the log header manually to a text file called cre_log.txt in the crefixer folder. Just copy and paste everything from "Creature" to "Issue" in a text editor. If it *does* get created by the tp2 (which it should) it will just overwrite it with the same info, and append what it needs. If none of that works, try posting in the WeiDU forum on PPG - maybe someone there can figure out why the code bombs on OS X.

#38 Eric P.

Eric P.

Journeyman Modder

• 1178 posts

Donator

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:53 PM

I suspect this is because no file named cre_log.txt exists (I checked the mod's folder contents, and the file is nowhere to be found). How can I fix this?

The file will not exist if the mod errored out, as it is created during runtime. However, it should exist prior to that time and if it completes without erroring. The first two commands in the .tp2 ensure that:
<<<<<<<< .../crefixer-inlined/cre_log.txt
Creature	Name	Item	Slot#	SlotName	Issue
>>>>>>>>

COPY ~.../crefixer-inlined/cre_log.txt~ ~crefixer~
Moreover, the forward slashes ensure it should be compatible with OS X as well as other OSes. Could be a file read-write permissions issue but I've no idea how that works on OS X. And if that happens in general with mod, a lot of them would fail (but haven't you gotten a lot of these "Patching Failed (COPY) (Unix.Unix_error(20, "stat" ...))" errors elsewhere?).

I guess you could try copying the log header manually to a text file called cre_log.txt in the crefixer folder. Just copy and paste everything from "Creature" to "Issue" in a text editor. If it *does* get created by the tp2 (which it should) it will just overwrite it with the same info, and append what it needs. If none of that works, try posting in the WeiDU forum on PPG - maybe someone there can figure out why the code bombs on OS X.

I'm now finishing a BWP 9.4 install, and the above .txt file added to the crefixer folder solved it. The mod has just this moment installed successfully :)

Thanks very much!
Eric

Working and playing on a Mac Pro 6,1 running Mac OS X 10.13.6 High Sierra, and a Mac Pro 3,1 running Mac OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan.

~Buion na 'ell! I serve with joy! Your eyes and ears I shall be. Let us hunt together!~
- Erysseril Gwaethorien: a joinable, romanceable NPC mod for BGII - SoA/ToB, in sporadic development.

A female elf warrior of nature and a Bhaalspawn cross paths during their quests, joining forces to share adventure and companionship. Will they find more?

#39 Sam.

Sam.
  • Administrator
  • 1294 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:15 PM

I installed this on my Classic Adventures v0.53 game and Creature Fixer modified the following files:
Spoiler

but cre_log.txt contained only:
Creature	Item	Slot	Issue
ddguard4	key17	0x12	Item of wrong type 8 in weapon slot
firarc01	bow01	0x12	Two-handed weapon equipped with off-hand item shld05
rielev		mage01	0x12	Item of wrong type 10 in weapon slot
trple01		xbow01	0x14	Two-handed weapon equipped with off-hand item shld03
Why is that?

--------------------

CA Forums CA Homepage

#40 Miloch

Miloch

Barbarian

• Modder
  • 6573 posts

Posted 02 November 2010 - 09:38 PM

Um, I dunno - it might have reindexed them due to nonstandard orders. Undocumented "feature" is it does this to all creatures in the game I guess, so it can check them for further issues in a valid manner. Nonstandard indexing happens a lot if you're editing creatures with NI (and can in extreme cases even cause crashes) - please use DLTCEP for this instead unless someone can fix NI (I don't know why they haven't already).

Edit: oh and if Eric is still around, someone was looking for an OS X build of the mod, so if you've got one, feel free to attach it.

Edited by Miloch, 02 November 2010 - 09:39 PM.